QBJConverter: Neg 5 to SQBS File Converter

Packet databases and other quizbowl sites, apps, or software should be discussed here.
achow101
Kimahri

QBJConverter: Neg 5 to SQBS File Converter

Post by achow101 »

I am pleased to announce QBJConverter, a program which converts the QBJ files exported by Neg 5 to SQBS data files. So far this program only works with NAQT Tournaments and SQBS default settings. Divisions need to be added in manually since Neg 5 does not export data on Divisions.

Any help with adapting this to include other tournament styles and with understanding some of the data (I figured out most of it) in the SQBS files is appreciated.

Currently the program is command-line only since I had to create this very quickly following the GVQBT III Tournament which I wrote this program for. I plan on adding a GUI in the future for easier use. Usage is as follows

Code: Select all

QBJConverter <filename>
<filename>: Path to the QBJ file created by Neg 5
The program is open source and licensed under the MIT License. You can browse the source code on Github at https://github.com/achow101/QBJConverter. It is written in C++ and it uses CMake for building.

Downloads are also hosted on Github at https://github.com/achow101/QBJConverter/releases.
Andrew C. Great Valley High School Quiz Bowl Team Member
jonah
Auron

Re: QBJConverter: Neg 5 to SQBS File Converter

Post by jonah »

As of the last time I heard, the ".qbj" files exported by Neg5 aren't actually valid schema.qb.tech files. Does your program handle valid files correctly?
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
achow101
Kimahri

Post by achow101 »

jonah wrote:As of the last time I heard, the ".qbj" files exported by Neg5 aren't actually valid schema.qb.tech files. Does your program handle valid files correctly?
It does not. I can add that in, but so far it only handles Neg 5 files since I wrote it specifically for that out of necessity.

Edit: Actually, upon further review of that schema, it looks like Neg 5 does support it, just not to its full extent. I will make further changes to the software so that it does support that schema fully.
Last edited by achow101 on Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew C. Great Valley High School Quiz Bowl Team Member
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

achow101 wrote:
jonah wrote:As of the last time I heard, the ".qbj" files exported by Neg 5 aren't actually valid schema.qb.tech files. Does your program handle valid files correctly?
It does not. I can add that in, but so far it only handles Neg 5 files since I wrote it specifically for that out of necessity.
The plan is for Neg 5 to properly support that standard — it just hasn't done so yet — so if you want your program to have more than transient usefulness, that adaptation would be a good idea.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
crbirdx

Post by crbirdx »

Can I use the windows terminal to run this or do I need a Linux box (virtual machine etc.)?