QuizDB App for iOS Announcement

Packet databases and other quizbowl sites, apps, or software should be discussed here.
Nonameentered
Kimahri

QuizDB App for iOS Announcement

Post by Nonameentered »

My friend Simon and I have developed an iOS application for QuizDB, which is now available on the App Store. This app aims to provide users an improved mobile studying experience. This app is developed with input and feedback from the QuizDB developers, and shares some revenue, but is otherwise not officially affiliated in any way.

The entire QuizDB database of questions is downloaded into the app, which allows for offline studying and faster querying. A major feature of the QuizDB mobile app I’d like to highlight is the ability to highlight text from other apps and launch a search in the app using the share menu in iOS.

To help fund the continued development of this app and QuizDB, we have a pro mode. Pro mode features integration with Anki and the ability to launch a new search through selected text in the Results screen. In addition there are some additional appearance options like dark mode and various app icons.

We have many more features planned for future updates including an improved history screen, a bookmarks screen, and more customization options and actions for the question results, like increasing font size.

QuizDB freely offers its questions for use by this app, but is not responsible for any feature or payment issues native to this app. All money that goes back to QuizDB through this app is used to directly fund hosting for QuizDB.
Matthew Shu
Yale '25
Montgomery Blair High School '20
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Re: QuizDB App for iOS Announcement

Post by Smuttynose Island »

This looks great. Are there plans to develop a similar app for Android phones?
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Wanted to add on that Matthew and Simon contacted me about working on this a while back, and I gave them my blessing. I found them really good developers, who made fast progress on the app, which I appreciate since QuizDB work has stalled somewhat lately (no need to rub it in...). I encourage you to support them, since I'm confident if there are any issues they'll be responsive, and work hard to maintain/update their app.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Nonameentered
Kimahri

Post by Nonameentered »

Thanks Raynor!

Currently, we will be focusing on the iOS app. Developing an Android app is a possibility we may explore over winter break or this summer depending on the popularity of the iOS version.
Matthew Shu
Yale '25
Nonameentered
Kimahri

Post by Nonameentered »

We’ve recently updated the app with a new feature we call QuizBuzz, a letter-by-letter question reader similar to other tools like QuizBug2, but better optimized for mobile and tablet use. In addition, QuizBuzz comes with Anki integration for Pro buyers. Let me know if anyone is interested in integration with other flashcard apps (through the add to tsv note feature currently already implemented in search results) and we’ll do so.

Update on Android app: An Android port of the app is still possible, but not currently in development due to other commitments this summer. In the mean time, I encourage android users to check out QuizDroid, a question reader similar to QuizBuzz and QuizBug2.
Matthew Shu
Yale '25
nobrain
Kimahri

Post by nobrain »

Great app friends! Can you make an Android version, too?
Spandan Goel
Adlai E Stevenson 2022
Hawthorn South 2018
Discord => Spandan14#9197
Gae Bulg
Lulu

Post by Gae Bulg »

nobrain wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:29 pm Great app friends! Can you make an Android version, too?
Nonameentered wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:11 pm An Android port of the app is still possible, but not currently in development due to other commitments this summer. In the mean time, I encourage android users to check out QuizDroid, a question reader similar to QuizBuzz and QuizBug2.
Danny Kim
Fremd '21