Call for Submissions: Minnesota Trash Day (August 22nd)

Old college threads.
Cheynem
Sin

Call for Submissions: Minnesota Trash Day (August 22nd)

Post by Cheynem »

So as per our annual tradition, people in Minnesota will be celebrating Trash Day at the start of the fall semester in which we informally play various trash tournaments (date and time TBD). This year, we will be playing Erik Nelson's video game set, Tricon (if not read in full at the main site or a repeat reading otherwise), and anything else we have (maybe Carsten has written two more questions for his never-ending movies set).

What I'd like to do is to put out a call for anyone to do basically what we did at Festivus last year and that is submit a trash packet for consumption. At the end of the weekend, I'll compile the set and release it (and also probably read it online eventually). There are no guidelines for this, although I think it would be more enjoyable for people if you followed these basic rules:

1. No bonuses
2. Somewhere between 10-20 tossups, preferably no more than 6 lines
3. Accessible
4. Probably a broader theme is more fun than very specific, like "video games" instead of "Metal Gear Solid," but do what thou wilt. I'm sure someone at our site can dig it.

To entice your submissions, I will donate $5 per packet (assuming it has at least 10 tossups) to a quizbowl charity regardless of use, with a baseline donation of $30 regardless of how many submissions there are.

To placate Matt Jackson, as far as I know this is not knocking anything else off a possible schedule.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Coelacanth
Rikku

Re: Call for Submissions: Minnesota Trash Day

Post by Coelacanth »

A specific timeline for submission would help motivate me to do this.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More, I cannot say.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Trash Day will most likely be either the weekend of August 22nd or 29th (will post when this is nailed down). Submission deadline would be the "day before the tournament." E-mail it to me with a description of your packet and how many tossups it entails.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

This event is now on Saturday, August 22. Hope to see some packets for it!
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Re: Call for Submissions: Minnesota Trash Day (August 22nd)

Post by Cheynem »

Minnesota Trash Day, if you're interested in playing it, will be held Saturday, August 22, beginning some time between 9 to 10 AM at the first floor of Bruininks Hall (the former STSS). Roughly speaking, the schedule will be Tricon, TOEJAM, and other trash packets, with card subject to change. If you're interested in playing, especially Tricon, just shoot me an e-mail so I know how many people we will have (since a number of folks have heard Tricon, we may or may not have to adjust things for that).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I've had some offers to write packets and will list received packets as I receive them. I won't lock anyone down though. I will commit myself to writing a "film/TV" packet of undetermined length and quality.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

A reminder to submit packets for this by Friday night.

ATTENDEES
Confirmed: me, Andrew Hart, Rob Carson, Erik Nelson, various people Erik knows (at least 3), Brian Weikle, Arlo Lyle, Sam Bailey, Bernadette Spencer
Possible: Cory Haala, Carsten Gehring, Foster Hughes, maybe people Brian knows

PACKET LIST
1. Trash packet, mostly film (50 tossups, Mike Cheyne)
2. Something Sam Bailey wrote (at least 10 tossups)
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Lest people think I was a liar, I will be submitting the matched profits from this to a quizbowl friendly charity by the end of the year.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota