You're Not Laughing Now, Are You? - A British Side Event

Old college threads.
dhumphreys17
Wakka

You're Not Laughing Now, Are You? - A British Side Event

Post by dhumphreys17 »

To Any and All Quizbowlers on Either Side of the Pond Affected by the Content of This Post:

This is a preliminary posting for any people who would be intrigued by a packet consisting solely of British political fodder from the last ten years. It is a 20-tossup chain-reaction packet, which means that each answerline connects to the previous (except the first, obviously) in a way described in the question. The questions are powermarked, superpowermarked, and superduperpowermarked, and tossup length will be capped at seven lines.

There will be negs, and I will be experimenting with yet another bizarre format twist: you can buzz as many times as you like each question, but there's nothing to stop you from losing an exorbitant amount of points by negging a tossup 5 times in one question. I dare anyone who plays this set to deliberately attempt to set a record for lowest neg score. Adam Sperber had -90 points on First Hunna Days over 60 tossups. I hope that someone in this 20-tossup packet set can manage to score -100 taking advantage of this twist. Distribution for the set is as follows:

8 Political Personalities
- 5 party leaders
- 2 MPs
- 1 Media
4 British Political Bodies and Offices
2 British Political Concepts
2 British Political Parties
2 Important British-related Documents
2 Speeches

This distribution is deliberately as eccentric as British politics per my evaluation. Answerlines are generally accessible to an American audience, but some answerlines will be more accessible than others, I'm sure. Since this set covers material from the last 10 years, anything from Tony Blair's resignation to the present day, CLARIFICATION EDIT: or anything related to any of that, is toss-up-able.

Logistics: This set will be read over Skype on or about 12 August 2017, subject to change. Those interested in participating can sign up here. The format is shootout. The winner will receive some prize to be determined but of little tangible value, as the tournament is free, unless any of you want to pay me, in which case be my guest.
Last edited by dhumphreys17 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Devin James John Humphreys
Sacred Heart Academy High School (MI), Class of 2017 - 2015 HSNCT, 2016 NSC, 2017 NSC
Michigan State University, B.A. Class of 2020
University of Notre Dame, J.D. Class of 2023 - standby 2023 ICT-DII; coach 2023-24
Red Panda Cub
Wakka

Re: You're Not Laughing Now, Are You? - A British Side Event

Post by Red Panda Cub »

I wonder which three post-Blair PMs will be tossed up.
Joey Goldman
Oxford '17
City, University of London '19
Lake Winnipesaukee Mystery Stone
Wakka

Post by Lake Winnipesaukee Mystery Stone »

Short-beaked echidna wrote:I wonder which three post-Blair PMs will be tossed up.
Does depend on how many general elections we can fit in the next month to be fair.
Oliver Clarke
King Edward's School, Birmingham '11
Oxford '16
St Andrews '18
Oxford '23
mozzarella
Lulu

Post by mozzarella »

Yes.
K Kohn
Cheltenham High School 2015
American University 2018

Ask me about my trash packets.
dhumphreys17
Wakka

Post by dhumphreys17 »

Short-beaked echidna wrote:I wonder which three post-Blair PMs will be tossed up.
Interpret the 10-year rule LOOSELY. If I can tangentialize an earlier PM to something that has happened within the last 10 years (hint: I can), that PM will be tossed up.

EDIT: The distribution has been changed. Party leaders include PMs, but I may "salt" the packet, to use NAQT's terminology.
Devin James John Humphreys
Sacred Heart Academy High School (MI), Class of 2017 - 2015 HSNCT, 2016 NSC, 2017 NSC
Michigan State University, B.A. Class of 2020
University of Notre Dame, J.D. Class of 2023 - standby 2023 ICT-DII; coach 2023-24