WEEABOO Set announcement

Old college threads.
mozzarella
Lulu

WEEABOO Set announcement

Post by mozzarella »

We are proud to announce the production of the Western Enthusiasts' Examination in Animation Both Oriental and Outrageous Set (WEEABOOS). This set will be written by Kate Kohn, Waley He, and Anthony Wang; it is tentatively set for completion by December 2017. We are aiming for 6 packets of 15 power marked tossups and three-part bonuses. The tossups should all be around 6 to 7 lines in 12 point Times New Roman and the bonuses will not exceed 8 lines total.

Our distribution will include the following (There will be a lot of crossovers):
  • 9 pure anime
    • 0.75 slice of life
      0.75 romance
      0.75 action
      0.75 others
    3 2000-2010
    • 0.75 slice of life
      0.75 romance
      0.75 action
      0.75 others

3 pre 2000
    • 0.75 slice of life
      0.75 romance
      0.75 action
      0.75 others

2 light novel/manga (both original and ones that have been adapted into anime)
    2 miscellaneous Anime stuff
    1 real life person (related to anime)
    1 extra Japanese culture (history and lit)
We will definitely have a skype mirror in January and try to run this as a side event at either HSNCT or PACE (maybe both, depending on interest and the prediction for riots and protests). Anyone can play free of charge at all mirrors.

[no 4 chan --staff]
Last edited by mozzarella on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
K Kohn
Cheltenham High School 2015
American University 2018

Ask me about my trash packets.
mozzarella
Lulu

Re: WEEABOO Set announcement

Post by mozzarella »

My mans Waley wrote that but anyway I think I might need this space for some announcement or something later so

[reserved]
K Kohn
Cheltenham High School 2015
American University 2018

Ask me about my trash packets.
dhumphreys17
Wakka

Post by dhumphreys17 »

mozzarella wrote:6 packets of 15 power marked bonuses and three-part bonuses
So if there are two kinds of bonuses where are the tossups? :twisted:
Devin James John Humphreys
Sacred Heart Academy High School (MI), Class of 2017 - 2015 HSNCT, 2016 NSC, 2017 NSC
Michigan State University, B.A. Class of 2020
University of Notre Dame, J.D. Class of 2023 - standby 2023 ICT-DII; coach 2023-24
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

Sounds fun! There may be enough interest for a Canadian mirror.
Erik Christensen
University of Waterloo - School of Planning Class of '18
Defending VETO top scorer
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Ike Jose has suggested that I play this. I will, and I will get no points doing so.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
anthonywang1999
Lulu

Post by anthonywang1999 »

dhumphreys17 wrote:
mozzarella wrote:6 packets of 15 power marked bonuses and three-part bonuses
So if there are two kinds of bonuses where are the tossups? :twisted:
Definitely a typo, (meant to read: power marked tossups.)! Thanks for the catch!
Anthony Wang
Middlesex County Academy '17
Northwestern University '21

"It doesn't matter if this world that opened in front of me is just a dream."
anthonywang1999
Lulu

Difficulty has not been tested yet, but questions on anime/manga will generally be on the more popular series.
(Within the top 500 ranked in terms of popularity and/or rank based on MAL.)
Anthony Wang

anthonywang1999
Lulu

WEEABOO Sample Questions

(link removed because are you kidding me --mgmt)
Anthony Wang

anthonywang1999
Lulu

anthonywang1999 wrote:WEEABOO Sample Questions

(link removed because are you kidding me --mgmt)
Note that since the Tossup was taken from 2015 Festivus (with permission from its writer), it is slightly longer that the lengths of most tossups that have currently been written for WEEABOOS.
Anthony Wang

Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Please replace this sample bonus with something less wildly inappropriate or I will lock this thread and bring back the board rule banning anime discussion.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
anthonywang1999
Lulu

Auks Ran Ova wrote:Please replace this sample bonus with something less wildly inappropriate or I will lock this thread and bring back the board rule banning anime discussion.
Sure I didn't realize questions like those were banned.
Anthony Wang

anthonywang1999
Lulu

Auks Ran Ova wrote:Please replace this sample bonus with something less wildly inappropriate or I will lock this thread and bring back the board rule banning anime discussion.
Also if anime discussion as part of trash is frowned upon in the quizbowl community, we will gladly reconsider the writing of this set.
Anthony Wang

Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

anthonywang1999 wrote:
Also if anime discussion as part of trash is frowned upon in the quizbowl community, we will gladly reconsider the writing of this set.
We allowed the announcement to stay up (and have in general moved away from a blanket ban on mentions of anime) because we assumed(? hoped?) that the worst fears of people who opposed allowing any mention of anime would not be immediately and outrageously violated. I'm willing to give you another chance, but come on, use some common sense!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
anthonywang1999
Lulu

Auks Ran Ova wrote:
anthonywang1999 wrote:
We allowed the announcement to stay up (and have in general moved away from a blanket ban on mentions of anime) because we assumed(? hoped?) that the worst fears of people who opposed allowing any mention of anime would not be immediately and outrageously violated. I'm willing to give you another chance, but come on, use some common sense!
My apologies to all those who I've offended. As the theme of the genre used in the bonus has become so overly abundant in its usage in anime memes and culture during recent years, I hadn't realized just how insensitive and inappropriate it was to those unacquainted with anime culture. Due to the already existing negative associations and biases of those in the community towards anime in general, we will try to be more careful with our questions to not offend anyone again. As any mention of anime is clearly a point of contention in the community, we will also attempt to minimize our discussion on it, again so as to avoid offending people. Thanks for letting us know and pointing out our mistake before it got out of control, and again sorry for trouble.
Anthony Wang

armitage
Wakka

Post by armitage »

anthonywang1999 wrote:insensitive and inappropriate it was to those unacquainted with anime culture
It is possible to be heavily acquainted with anime culture while simultaneously finding this content offensive, or at least recognizing that there are many places where it doesn't belong. You may realize this more as you get older.
Richard
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

anthonywang1999 wrote:As the theme of the genre used in the bonus has become so overly abundant in its usage in anime memes and culture during recent years, I hadn't realized just how insensitive and inappropriate it was to those unacquainted with anime culture. Due to the already existing negative associations and biases of those in the community towards anime in general[...]
I don't think it's all "anime culture" that quizbowlers might find offensive. The bonuses' clues/answer lines aside, the lead-in was extremely inappropriate and not-so-subtly made light of behavior that is both sick and illegal.
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
anthonywang1999
Lulu

Aaron's Rod wrote:
anthonywang1999 wrote:As the theme of the genre used in the bonus has become so overly abundant in its usage in anime memes and culture during recent years, I hadn't realized just how insensitive and inappropriate it was to those unacquainted with anime culture. Due to the already existing negative associations and biases of those in the community towards anime in general[...]
I don't think it's all "anime culture" that quizbowlers might find offensive. The bonuses' clues/answer lines aside, the lead-in was extremely inappropriate and not-so-subtly made light of behavior that is both sick and illegal.
I've acknowledged that I made a mistake in writing the question and have thus removed anything that might be inappropriate or offensive, after going back through everything. My original intent had not been to offend anyone, and was simply to include a lead-in using a popular meme in the said genre of anime that I had not realized was extremely inappropriate because it has been so widely used as a recurring joke in the anime community. I understand that this does not excuse the fact that it is still referencing a "behavior that is both sick and illegal", but because the meme was criticizing that type of behavior, many in the anime community, including myself, thought it was somehow "ok" to joke about it. In my experiences, I have heard various jokes that criticize inappropriate or illegal behavior, and audiences seemed to be "ok" with them - and in some cases be entertained. Again, while this does not excuse the offensive content, it explains my reasoning in writing it, and why I had responded the way I did. Once again, I'd like to emphasize my apologies in offending anyone.
Anthony Wang

Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Is this still happening? I'm not sure how good I'd be at this set, but I know some people who'd be interested and I think it'd be a fun read.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
anthonywang1999
Lulu

Progcon wrote:Is this still happening? I'm not sure how good I'd be at this set, but I know some people who'd be interested and I think it'd be a fun read.
Yep,still happening but a change in how we are doing it (reading individual packets as we finish them). There's been a bit of a delay but we have so far read a test packet over the discord channel, and people who've played/seen it seem to like it, so we will definitely be continuing! Most of our communication has been through the anime channel of the quizbowl discord server. We'll let you know when our next reading will be (announcing on discord, will post here as well), but likely end of this week or next week.
Anthony Wang

anthonywang1999
Lulu

I'm officially scheduling the reading of the first packet of Weeaboos next Saturday, March 17th, 8pm central time. Check out the discord for more info.
Anthony Wang