LACTOSE Connect Tournament @ The Internet

Old college threads.
Hammerkop
Lulu

LACTOSE Connect Tournament @ The Internet

Post by Hammerkop »

Hi everyone,

I'm proud to announce my first packet, and I'm hosting it as a tournament online on a date to be announced shortly. I call it LACTOSE (Linking All Clues To Obtain Solutions Elaborately), and it's a packet of 20 tossups with 3 bonuses each, built entirely on connected clues from various fields.
So in one pyramidal question, you'll have clues from a lot of topics. (Think along the lines of multi-field common name/feature)
I'm mostly likely planning to host it on a Discord server, or maybe Hangouts, and it will mostly be played solo (unless the number of players necessitates team formation). The date is as of yet undecided, but the packet is ready and it will be played some time in the next 5-6 days.
Do sign up below if you're interested!
This is the registration form: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Here's a sample question so you can get an idea of what it's like:
A literary character with this last name often complains about a 'Jezail' bullet that shot him, and Shailene Woodley appeared as a cameo of a character with the same last name in a 2014 movie, as opposed to Kirsten Dunst. A boy named this is in Havana in a 1778 painting. A social scientist named this performed the (*) 'Kerplunk' experiments. One of a duo of two had this last name, and they proved Pauling wrong with Franklin's x-ray crystallography. An actress with this last name played the daughter of an inventor named Maurice in a 2017 adaptation of a classic movie. The gym leader of Mauville Town, named this, is known for saying 'Wa-ha-ha-ha!' For 10 points, what is the common name, also the IBM AI who appeared on Jeopardy?
(Watson)
Krishna "Birdie" Girish
AMC '18
Life List: 521 species!
alexdz
Rikku

Re: LACTOSE Connect Tournament @ The Internet

Post by alexdz »

Is this still happening? Since we're 8 days out from the original post, can you update us on when this packet is planning to be read?
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

I played this today. It was fun, if a little rough around the edges. Some tweaks to make pronouns clear for each clue would go a long way to make this tournament even more entertaining to play.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
Hammerkop
Lulu

Post by Hammerkop »

Hey everyone,
Now that LACTOSE is done, here's the scoresheet: https://imgur.com/a/jmanQ
Thanks to everyone for playing! As Alex said, it was a little rough and needed some editing with respect to pronouns, but it was fun :)
Congrats to Jakob on winning.
I may write another set/host this one again shortly.

Krishna
Krishna "Birdie" Girish
AMC '18
Life List: 521 species!
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

This was fun to play!
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018