PACENSC 2018 - A Pokemon Set @HSNCT

Old college threads.
Who Cares About Nausinous
Lulu

PACENSC 2018 - A Pokemon Set @HSNCT

Post by Who Cares About Nausinous »

We're back, with even more Z-Moves!

After the positive feedback from our last Pokémon set, Daniel Xu and I have gotten an early start on our Pokémon tossups and will be finished with six or seven tossups-only packets by the time HS nationals rolls around. Some members of Cornell quizbowl are helping playtest. Both of us will be staffing HSNCT, so we'll be hosting it there. I doubt we'll manage to host it at NSC since we won't be there. I anticipate that, like last time, we will use the scrimmage rooms after the matches are all done.

Have a look at last year's set to get a feel for what this one will be like (http://trash.quizbowlpackets.com/2073/). We've been having a little bit of fun with some of the tossups that we've written so far, so expect some answer lines to be a bit on the "novel" side.

We will probably do a doubles format again, and anyone attending HSNCT can certainly volunteer to staff. Otherwise, we will probably enslave some Ithaca High School students and make them staff. Also we might charge something small like $5 per team, but that is subject to change.

Feel free to reply if you're interested or if you have any questions about the set!

Signups here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing (I'll edit this spreadsheet if we somehow manage to host this set at NSC)
Last edited by Who Cares About Nausinous on Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Luc Wetherbee, the kid with the flower
Ithaca High School '17
Cornell '21
The guy with the flower
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Re: PACENSC 2018 @HSNCT

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Just a heads up to you that there already a significant number of side-events at HSNCT planned.

But Pokemon is life, so you guys do you.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Rob and I are teaming up yet again. We would prefer to not be in the same bracket as Wang this year.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Was just thinking of how much fun this set was last year today. Very happy to play this again and Jakob and I are back to kick some tail.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

I'd play this again.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Robert Williams Avenger wrote:Rob and I are teaming up yet again. We would prefer to not be in the same bracket as Wang this year.
Have fun in the bottom bracket then
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Re: PACENSC 2018 - A Pokemon Set @HSNCT

Post by Ciorwrong »

Any chance this could also be run at PACE? I accepted an internship that makes staffing HSNCT difficult for me.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Sygyt/Kargyraa
Lulu

Post by Sygyt/Kargyraa »

Similarly, any chance for a mirror at ICT?

Edit: I'm dumb and did not realize ICT is more than a month before HSNCT - might this happen at CO/be available for mirroring during the summer open season?
Zhenglin Liu
University of Toronto BASc MechEng 1T9+PEY, Engineering Science dropout
University of Cambridge (Clare College) MPhil Environmental Policy 2T2
Lulu

Yeah, we very briefly considered reading this at ICT, but of course that would require us to finish it by ICT. We'll definitely need that extra month to finish writing and organizing the tossups into packets. However, as with last year's set, we will make it available for summer mirroring! Anyone who wants to eventually mirror this set can contact me when the time comes around.

As for reading this at PACE, we may be able to give the packets to the Ithaca High School team and they can host the packet, or we can hand it off to someone else who is willing to organize a tournament (or a small shootout like what we did at last year's NSC). Again, if someone wants to do that when the time comes, contact me on the forums or on Discord.
Ithaca High School '17
Cornell '21
The guy with the flower
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Hey, any update on the timing of the HSNCT site?
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Lulu

We're thinking we could start at 9pm on Friday, but we still have a while to see what works best for the people who want to play. Maybe people can tell me their preferences on Discord or through a PM on these forums. ACRONYM stands out as a particularly big conflict, so if a lot of folks interested in Pokémon wanted to play ACRONYM as well we could possibly change the time to Saturday.
Ithaca High School '17
Cornell '21
The guy with the flower
Lulu

UPDATE: I've been told that many people who want to play PACENSC are either playing or staffing ACRONYM, which I expected. Our tentative plan now is to run our event at around 9:00pm on Saturday. Hopefully that will significantly reduce conflicts.

As for packet writing, we're making good progress. Daniel is churning out tossups like a madman.
Ithaca High School '17
Cornell '21
The guy with the flower
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Who Cares About Nausinous wrote:UPDATE: I've been told that many people who want to play PACENSC are either playing or staffing ACRONYM, which I expected. Our tentative plan now is to run our event at around 9:00pm on Saturday. Hopefully that will significantly reduce conflicts.

As for packet writing, we're making good progress. Daniel is churning out tossups like a madman.
This will probably conflict with WORLDSTAR; looking at field docs that'll put a pretty big dent in one of our fields. DM me and we'll sort things out.
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

An Economic Ignoramus wrote:
Who Cares About Nausinous wrote:UPDATE: I've been told that many people who want to play PACENSC are either playing or staffing ACRONYM, which I expected. Our tentative plan now is to run our event at around 9:00pm on Saturday. Hopefully that will significantly reduce conflicts.

This will probably conflict with WORLDSTAR; looking at field docs that'll put a pretty big dent in one of our fields. DM me and we'll sort things out.
Just a reminder that, however you guys hash it out, you can see what other events are claiming portions of the schedule here: http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20994
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Lulu

We currently have three or so unorganized packets' worth of tossups written! If anyone at the ICT site would like to playtest these tossups, DM me on the forums or (more preferably) Discord.
Ithaca High School '17
Cornell '21
The guy with the flower
orenji
Lulu

Post by orenji »

Is this going to happen at HSNCT this year?
Oliver Ren
Canyon Crest Academy 2010 - 2014
Torrey Pines 2013 - 2014
MIT 2014 - 2018
Harpie's Feather Duster

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Is this still planned for Saturday night at HSNCT? Need to know if there will be a conflict with the guerilla staff event, which i would of course skip for Pokemon.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

The Bold Ideas of Bernie Sanders (I-VT) wrote:I'd play this again.
Seeking a partner for this
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Having missed this last year because of a panic attack and being unable to figure out where it was being held, I am very much looking forward to actually playing this year. Also looking for teammate.

How many packets will there be?
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Vivit
Lulu

Post by Vivit »

This is definitely still planned for Saturday.

There will be a total of 6 packets, the last of which will contain bonuses. Entry will be $6 a team.
Daniel Xu
Ithaca High School '17
Cornell '21

Mediocre at best
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Would it be possible to hold off on starting this until after the staff tournament? That event should be pretty short (3-4 all-tossup rounds, I think?) and there's a decent number of people who would like to do both.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Vivit
Lulu

Post by Vivit »

Auks Ran Ova wrote:Would it be possible to hold off on starting this until after the staff tournament? That event should be pretty short (3-4 all-tossup rounds, I think?) and there's a decent number of people who would like to do both.
Yeah, I think that would be best, assuming the staff tournament finishes no later than 10:00. I'll keep this thread updated with details on the day of so everyone knows where and when to meet.
Daniel Xu
Ithaca High School '17
Cornell '21

Mediocre at best
SeventhPrize
Kimahri

Post by SeventhPrize »

At approximately which time can we expect the tournament to conclude, and in which general area of the tournament hotel will this event take place?

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
Vivit
Lulu

Post by Vivit »

PACENSC will be held in the lobby meeting rooms, L501-L508. Plan to convene by the display at the concierge desk around 10:00; we will try to start rounds at 10:15 or whenever all participants from the staff tournament arrive.

Again, there will be six rounds with bonuses in the final round, so we'll expect to finish around 12:30.
Daniel Xu
Ithaca High School '17
Cornell '21

Mediocre at best
Vivit
Lulu

Post by Vivit »

Ok, so I'm not finding a good solution to the 14 teams right away so we're gonna go with this schedule:
http://hdwhite.org/qb/schedules/194/

IGNORE THE 7TH ROW. The team "Beat Misty For Me" will instead be Ophir's team, or what is shown on the schedule as 6P.

Since there are no 7th or 8th teams in each bracket, if you are shown as playing against any of those teams in a given round, instead you will find the other team that is shown as playing either 7 or 8 in your bracket and play them in the FIRST ROOM LISTED. For example, P5 and P6 would play Round 2 in L501.
Daniel Xu
Ithaca High School '17
Cornell '21

Mediocre at best
Vivit
Lulu

Post by Vivit »

Also, ignore the stuff about a round 7 and all the playoff rounds.
Daniel Xu
Ithaca High School '17
Cornell '21

Mediocre at best
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Vivit wrote:Ok, so I'm not finding a good solution to the 14 teams right away so we're gonna go with this schedule:
http://hdwhite.org/qb/schedules/194/

IGNORE THE 7TH ROW. The team "Beat Misty For Me" will instead be Ophir's team, or what is shown on the schedule as 6P.

Since there are no 7th or 8th teams in each bracket, if you are shown as playing against any of those teams in a given round, instead you will find the other team that is shown as playing either 7 or 8 in your bracket and play them in the FIRST ROOM LISTED. For example, P5 and P6 would play Round 2 in L501.
Just as a warning to any future schedule-makers who might see this thread: This was an incomplete project that I had abandoned several years ago. I wouldn't rely on it, and I can't guarantee if any schedules made from it are correct.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Vivit
Lulu

Post by Vivit »

Hey all, thanks a ton for playing and putting up with my incompetence as I attempted for about an hour to figure out how to make a bracket for the first time. I hope everyone enjoyed the set and welcome any and all feedback to be PM'd to me. If you'd like a digital copy of the set, let me know (though please refrain from sharing with others, as there was interest expressed for a mirror).

Thanks as well to those who agreed to read for us on short notice. If there are stray scoresheets floating around, you can get them to me during the mod meeting tomorrow morning or during lunch.
Daniel Xu
Ithaca High School '17
Cornell '21

Mediocre at best
InfinitePeng
Lulu

Post by InfinitePeng »

When will this set be posted BTW?
felix

mizzou 23, st. joseph central 19

MOQBA, PACE
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

This set continued its predecessor's tradition of excellence--it was a delight to play! Thanks for writing and running it!
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I loved this tournament, which got at knowledge locked deep in the core of my brain, and want to especially highlight the unique, creative, and fun approach it took to bonuses in the one round that had them. I encourage Daniel and Luc to work on other, non-Pokemon projects that may interest them.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

I barely scored any points on this set but it was still a ton of fun. Props to Daniel and Luc!
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
username_crisis_averted
Lulu

Post by username_crisis_averted »

Will there be an online mirror of the set?
Kevin Kodama
University of Washington '23
Lulu

I could get that organized. Last year, I read it on the discord for a bunch of people (and Jasper godmoded), and I could do that sometime this summer or sometime next semester, after any summer mirrors are done.
Ithaca High School '17
Cornell '21
The guy with the flower
34 + P.J. Dozier
Wakka

Post by 34 + P.J. Dozier »

Late, but I really enjoyed playing this set! It was great to revisit the halcyon days of my childhood (and depressing once I realized how much of my childhood Pokémon knowledge I had forgotten), so thanks so much for putting this together.

As a side note, do you have any idea when/if stats will be posted?
Wonyoung Jang
Belmont '18 // UChicago '22
ACF; NAQT; PACE
Vivit
Lulu

Post by Vivit »

As much as I'd love to provide complete stats, I only have prelim scoresheets for half the field. Sorry to those whose stats are left out - maybe next year I can get the act together.

Here's a summary of what I have, listed in order of Powers : 10s : Points : PPG.

GLENGARRY GLEN EELEKTROSS
Jasper L 23 29 750 150 (TOP SCORER)
Jakob M 1 5 70 14

A TALE OF TWO SKITTY
Ben W 4 8 160 40
George L 16 7 390 97.5

BY LEVEL 35 YOU SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN HALF YOUR EVS
Billy B 2 16 200 40
Auroni G 0 15 150 30

POKEMON GO TO THE POLLS
Andrew W 23 10 560 112
Rob C 4 5 130 26
Dylan M 9 10 260 52

PIKACHURIN
Alex H 16 18 500 100
Anuj K 7 14 280 56

DO YOU BAYLEEF IN LUVDISC?
Albert Z 2 10 140 28
Alan F 1 19 210 42

Packets will be going up after the online mirror this summer, pending interest. Thank you Rob, Auroni, Jakob, and Wonyoung for the comments: it's what makes the set worth writing!
Daniel Xu
Ithaca High School '17
Cornell '21

Mediocre at best