No Banter Please - A Trash Tournament

Old college threads.
ErikC
Rikku

No Banter Please - A Trash Tournament

Post by ErikC »

I am pleased to announce a full-length trash tournament is currently in production by a team including Paul Kasinski, Ian Greig, Aayush Rajasekaran, Jack von Nostrand, and Simone Valade, led by yours truly. The tentative distribution is as follows:

4/4 Music (1/1 Pop and R&B, Hip-hop, Rock, and other/mixed each)
4/4 Sports (1 each big 4 and soccer, 1 golf or tennis, 1/1 other/more of the above)
3.5/3.5 Movies (subdivided between genre and time period)
3.5/3.5 TV (.5/.5 pre-1990; .5/.5 1990s; 1/1 2000s; 1.5/1.5 2010s with a mix of genres)
0.5/0.5 Mixed Movie and TV (actors, directors, and people/setting of both)
2/2 Games and Internet (overlap will vary)
1/1 (NOT 11) Trash Lit (includes musicals)
1.5/1.5 Other (celebrities, gossip, mixed questions, etc)

This distro is subject to change. The tournament will also aim to include culture from around the world and from a variety of creators/players, including women, people of colour, LGBT, and other communities. The current target is 15 packets.

The tournament will be available for mirrors sometime late summer/early fall of this year - I'll update this thread when I have a better idea when it will be ready. Potential mirror fees are TBD. Update: mirrors will be available on November 10, a week after the main site on November 4. Mirror fees will be $35 USD and $45 CAD per team.
Last edited by ErikC on Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Erik Christensen
University of Waterloo - School of Planning Class of '18
Defending VETO top scorer
MorganV
Mafiarator

Re: No Banter Please - A Trash Tournament

Post by MorganV »

ErikC wrote: 11 Trash Lit (includes musicals)
I for one welcome the new 30 question distro
Morgan Venkus
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

An update: for several reasons, this tournament is likely to be held in Canada in September and October, with mirrors becoming available after the first site. We'll try to combo this with a tournament in Toronto.

Also, despite the title, UK mirrors are encouraged to bring out the lads.
Erik Christensen
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

An update: the Canadian site of NBP will be held on November 4, 2018. The set will be available for mirrors the weekend of the November 10 after. The field is completely open right now, and the main site fees and discount will likely be around $120 per team, similar to the Acronym held at McMaster earlier this year (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20884) pending the ultimate decision of the hosts. Mirror fees still TBD.
Erik Christensen
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

We're setting the mirror fees at $45 CAD or $35 USD per team for a 15-pack tournament. As some of you might know, Venmo is not available in Canada yet so I'll be setting up a Paypal.
Erik Christensen
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

The Toronto site (http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21929, comments about the tournament included) played 11 of the 15 packets we planned for this tournament. I plan on having the last four packets being played as a side event in the near future. I won't be posting these packets to the archives for a while so this will be available for mirror for at least 3 or 4 months.
Erik Christensen
Here Comes Rusev Day
Lulu

Post by Here Comes Rusev Day »

Sorry if I missed it and it has been mentioned, but is there a ballpark estimate of how much of this tournament is old pop culture versus new pop culture? I see it for the TV distribution but was wondering how it was overall.
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School '09
George Mason University '13
University of Central Florida '15
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

Glancing at the distribution breakdown I'd say it's about 30%-35% of the content is pre-00s content, though this varies on which part of the distro (obviously theres very little things to ask about the internet of the 80s, but there is a fair amount of older sports or music questions).
Erik Christensen
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

I've finally gotten around to posting packets from this tournament - the archive now has the first 11. I still plan on running the last 4 in an event in Canada so those will be posted later.
Erik Christensen