East TN End-Of-Summer Trash Free-For-All At Tusculum, 08-04

Old college threads.
ShorterPearson
Wakka

East TN End-Of-Summer Trash Free-For-All At Tusculum, 08-04

Post by ShorterPearson »

In conjunction with the East Tennessee End-Of-Summer Academic Party that will be played the morning of August 4, the loyal East Tennessee/Southwest Virginia Quizbowl Flunky Alliance (membership: Chuck Pearson) is proud to present the East Tennessee End-Of-Summer Trash Free-For-All, a trash singles shootout tournament to be held the afternoon of August 4, 2018 at the really-how'd-you-rednecks-get-this-nice-a-building Meen Center on the campus of the newly-christened Tusculum University.

The heart of the question set will be the Sports and Entertainment Bee tossup set played at National History Bee and Bowl this spring (as well as at the Munson Memorial in Commerce, Georgia), with augmentation by the Friends of the East Tennessee/Southwest Virginia Quizbowl Flunky Alliance (membership: not just Chuck Pearson, but it's close).

Your fees are straight-up $15 a head, with discount for players who play the other event (other events? Plural?) that weekend. Every player for themselves.

Further information and registration forthcoming.

pearson
Chuck Pearson
East Tennessee/Southwest Virginia quiz bowl flunky (and that won't change)
Vice President of Outreach (2018-2019), PACE (seriously, what even)
Associate Professor of Natural Science, Tusculum University (coming soon to a collegiate tournament in the Mid-South)
[email protected], @ShorterPearson where relevant
ShorterPearson
Wakka

Re: East TN End-Of-Summer Trash Free-For-All At Tusculum, 08

Post by ShorterPearson »

Just going to bump this because this is happening even though the tournament director has never put together a proper registration.

Because of the lack of response from all corners, I am working off the assumption that everybody who wants to play this also wants to play the East Tennessee End-Of-Summer Academic Party and is in the process of registering for this. Officially the trash is $15 a head; however, the discount will be substantial for those who also play the academic.

It's at least three rounds of shootout singles, up to eight players in a room all playing for themselves. The basic structure of the rules will mimic the NAQT IPNCT ruleset, but I'm working out the final version (and the whole afternoon is going to be a grand experiment as well as a wild bit of fun). However, there will be a grand final shootout.

There are also rumors of a music game in the midst, because after all what is a pearson-stylee Trash Free-For-All without playing clips of songs.

Stay tuned for comedy in the offing!

chuck
Chuck Pearson
Associate Professor of Natural Science, Tusculum University (coming soon to a collegiate tournament in the Mid-South)
ShorterPearson
Wakka

Post by ShorterPearson »

FINAL FIELD UPDATE FOR THE ACADEMIC PARTY AND TRASH FREE-FOR-ALL:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Hey, Charlie Steinhice taught me to make schedules for n-2 to n+2 teams, and buddy, we are REALLY close to that window now, with an n = 5.

If anybody has a weird head to play academic tomorrow and has had plans fall through for your Saturday, get to the Tusculum University campus (put "60 Shiloh Road, Greeneville TN" into your GPS) between 800 and 830 AM. We will almost certainly be able to get you into the field and promise you at least five games, hopefully six, maybe as many as seven.

If anybody has a weird head to play "sports and entertainment" trash singles tomorrow, get to the Tusculum University campus roughly between 200 and 300 PM. We will almost certainly be able to get you into the field and get you 90 tossups in three rounds of 30, and if you score right, you can play off on a final round of 30.

Music game...will happen if I get everything else right because LOLOLOLOL

Just come, y'all. It's a party. We're even welcoming party crashers at this point.

chuck
Chuck Pearson
ShorterPearson
Wakka

Post by ShorterPearson »

(I'm only writing up one of these for both events. As a certain hero of mine would once say, apologies for the inevitable cross-posting.)

Congratulations to Ware "et al.", in the person of Dargan Ware, for his flawless comeback victory over Kendall "et al.", in the person of Seth Kendall, at the first ever East Tennessee End-Of-Summer Academic Party at Tusculum today. Congratulations to Erskine Thompson for his victory in the corresponding Trash Singles Free-For-All, and to Seth Kendall for lording his music knowledge over the field in the first-ever edition of the Air Guitar Hero music game.

Ware and Kendall playing solo both bested a very game field of teams-of-four from East Tennessee Spicy University (because the "S" doesn't REALLY stand for "State"), from greater Knoxville (who took the name of Tyler Fulghum's "Digital Underground T-Shirt"), and Gate City Generations (featuring current Gate City HS players and alums) on a difficult set courtesy of the Case Western team's Great Lakes Regional Academic Championship. Kendall swept the morning round-robin; in an advantaged final, Ware eliminated the advantage in style and won decisively. ETSU took third in a very experimental three-way playoff that the tournament director inflicted upon unsuspecting staffers.

In the equally experimental singles format, using the National Sports and Entertainment Bowl questions (thank you to Robin J Richards for quality service), Ware, Kendall, and Thompson all played spectacularly in preliminary stages, hitting 80 points and "buzzing out" of all three preliminary rounds. In the final, however, taking a nod from an old ACE Camp format and playing a game where the fourth neg eliminated the player AND their points, Ware and Thompson battled spectacularly throughtout, with Ware "negging out" on the very last question. This allowed Noah Lyons of ETSU, who was not one of the top qualifiers, to squeak second place with some strong buzzes over Kendall, who finished 3rd.

The music game was an absolute monster, probably the hardest thing about the day which tested the whole field, and quite possibly will only be mentioned again by Kendall, who won both the preliminary and the finals in dominant fashion. Erskine Thompson shocked himself placing second, and late entry Alex Tabor didn't get to eat at the new campus Chick-Fil-A but did ride finish 3rd.

---

The runup to the day was utter chaos, and I missed getting to see a LOT of people for one reason or another. (And the day itself stayed hectic and I took NONE of the customary selfies!)

There were a host of people who I owe a mammoth debt for this tiny little work in building our circuit.

Chyann Perry and Melanie Spencer were among the first to arrive and were absolutely the last to leave. Their support over this particular season especially has meant the world to me, and especially Chyann's willingness to throw in and help and see all the crazy ways this game she plays in high school happens at every level has been a total breath of fresh air. The relationships with families sustains so much.

All of the Gate City families who support their people - the Dotson family, the Helton family, and beyond - they make the work I do so gratifying. I keep telling folks about the wonder of Gate City. Eventually, enough of you are going to see them that you'll believe me. Thanks to them all. (Thanks to Mama Helton for the late scorekeeping assist.)

Alex Tabor may have had to work, but he showed up and I tossed him right into a room and said "hey, read the last trash prelim" and he was there for it. Thanks as always to Alex, the absolute best of who we are in Southwest Virginia. And to Breanna Moles as well, for all her love and support.

John Brown has wanted to help with something like this for the longest time, and I put him to work today. He reached the point of running his room solo before all was done, and he worked like the champ he is. I was happy to give him his last big quizbowl day out before his arrival on the grounds at the University of Virginia, and I was happy he wanted to spend that day working for us. All love, brother.

And last but never least, I'm sure we both agree that Stacy Thompson deserves all the credit for supporting her husband in all of his work in this game, but there is nothing on the planet like getting to work alongside the Partner in Crime, Erskine Thompson of Lindale, Georgia [1]. The lengths he has gone in support of me in these bits of foolishness has been amazing and wonderful and I pray all of you have a friend as faithful.

Too many people who wanted to be here for the first ETEOSAP had to miss out for reasons far, far beyond anyone's control. We'll go all-out to make a Second Annual happen. Thanks and love to you all.

[1] as Erskine reminds me, he's officially of Rome, Georgia now, but he will always be Erskine Thompson of Lindale, Georgia in my heart
Chuck Pearson