Old trash packets?

Old college threads.
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Old trash packets?

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

Does anyone happen to have a copy of ACRONYM from 2014 or previous? Not currently archived on the trash site.
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
InvadErGII
Rikku

Re: Old trash packets?

Post by InvadErGII »

I can send you the one from 2014, but fair warning - it isn't great. That's also the first ACRONYM I had a hand in, so I don't have anything earlier - see Matt Quinn’s post below on how to obtain those.

[edited to remove unnecessary editorializing re: sets I wasn’t involved with]
Last edited by InvadErGII on Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erik Nelson
Director, Minnesota High School Quiz Bowl
President, Play Quiz Bowl LLC
www.bouncebackfoundation.org
mrichardquinn
Lulu

Re: Old trash packets?

Post by mrichardquinn »

As the coach of Armstrong Quiz Bowl, I started the ACRONYM tournament as a fundraiser for our program in 2008, so to provide a little more information and context...

ACRONYM I and II were both played on NAQT questions. Neither of these tournaments managed to attract more than a dozen or so teams, so to boost attendance we switched to house writing a pop culture tournament.

I was in charge of editing and compiling ACRONYM III-VI. While Erik is correct that the quality and professionalism of ACRONYM increased tremendously with his involvement to his credit, I would argue that there is still some value in those old tournaments. Yes, the questions vary wildly in difficulty level, they could have been more thoroughly edited, and they were composed by some inexperienced writers. They were also from 2010-2013 so they would be quite dated. But I am still proud of a lot of the questions in terms of creatively considered topics and ways to ask about them. When we ran these tournaments, we got lots of positive feedback from players in the Minnesota circuit who enjoyed playing the questions quite a lot.

I haven't uploaded them and don't plan to do so mostly because I have not taken the time to learn how website/packet archives/uploading works since retiring, but also because I wouldn't want to present them as a polished and finished product that meets the high standards that Play Quiz Bowl has set for the ACRONYM brand.

If you are interested in them for personal or private use, you may send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will send them your way.

Thanks for your interest,
Matt Quinn
Armstrong Quiz Bowl Coach 2000-2016