Poll: Date/Location of Super ACRONYM 2 "Main Site"

Old college threads.

Which of these potential Super ACRONYM 2 sites/times would you attend?

UIUC Side Event Weekend (Mid-July)
27%
Purdue Side Event Weekend (Mid-July)
18%
Chicago Open Weekend (Early August)
41%
Minnesota (August-September)
11%
Another announced SEW (specify in comments)
4%

Total votes: 56

InvadErGII
Rikku

Poll: Date/Location of Super ACRONYM 2 "Main Site"

Post by InvadErGII »

Hello, trash likers!

I would like to nail down a "main site" for Super ACRONYM 2, in the interest of attracting as large/strong of a field as possible. Please fill out the attached poll to indicate your preference(s) for such a site. The last set headlined SEW in Ann Arbor two years ago, so it seems reasonable that it could do so again at UIUC this year. Based on what's officially been announced, it appears the Sunday after Chicago Open might also be a possibility. There will also definitely be a Minnesota mirror in August or September, though I suspect this won't act as the 'main site' as described above (unless people want it to be!).

I should stress that there is not currently an agreement in place for either of the Illinois sites - this is merely to see where/when people would like to play it. Once there's a better idea of that, I will work to get a date and location finalized.
Last edited by InvadErGII on Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Erik Nelson
Director, Minnesota High School Quiz Bowl
President, Play Quiz Bowl LLC
www.bouncebackfoundation.org
Cheynem
Sin

Re: Poll: Date/Location of Super ACRONYM 2 "Main Site"

Post by Cheynem »

I would do CO weekend, but I'm unsure--I thought there were a few side events already scheduled for Sunday (maybe?).

If a trash weekend in Purdue manifested, would that work? Seems like you'd get a better "trash" field.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
InvadErGII
Rikku

Post by InvadErGII »

Cheynem wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:46 pm I would do CO weekend, but I'm unsure--I thought there were a few side events already scheduled for Sunday (maybe?).

If a trash weekend in Purdue manifested, would that work? Seems like you'd get a better "trash" field.
What I'd last heard is that there was just one smaller event confirmed for Sunday, but it's possible that has since changed.

I added a "Purdue in July" option to the poll, as it seems the momentum for SEW seems to be leaning towards July in general at this point. This unfortunately reset the vote counts (oops), so if you voted previously, please vote again!
Erik Nelson
InvadErGII
Rikku

Post by InvadErGII »

Hey all - I'd like to nail this down as early as this week, so if you haven't yet voted, please make your opinion known! It appears that it's likely to be either UIUC or CO, so if you have any particular thoughts on one of those over the other, feel free to post those here.
Erik Nelson
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

InvadErGII wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:50 pm
Cheynem wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:46 pm I would do CO weekend, but I'm unsure--I thought there were a few side events already scheduled for Sunday (maybe?).

What I'd last heard is that there was just one smaller event confirmed for Sunday, but it's possible that has since changed.
As far as I know, there's Age of Empires and Scattergories 3, which are both tossup-only. Doing two tossup-only events and a full tournament seems a little ambitious.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Yeah, if both (or even one) of those events are actually run at CO, there's no way a full trash tournament would work.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

stanjast
Lulu

Post by stanjast »

Purdue would be happy to host Super ACRONYM 2, and I failed to get to talk to you about this at ICT, Erik. My bad one that one. My thinking would be that this could be one full day of the weekend and then we could do a couple TU-only events on the other day. Seem feasible?
Stan Jastrzebski
InvadErGII
Rikku

Post by InvadErGII »

The preference at this point seems to be Chicago Open > UIUC > Purdue.

I agree with the concerns over making it work at CO. SA2's questions are a little bit shorter than CO Trash's, so having one other tossup only event might work, but two would certainly be pushing it. I really don't want to step on anyone's toes there, so if two other side events are confirmed (or in the process of being so), perhaps UIUC is the best option (perhaps with a Purdue event later in the summer for folks who can't make it to the 'main event').

If you have any strong feelings regarding why this should happen at CO and not elsewhere, now would be a good time to bring those up. Otherwise, let's look at doing this in C/U in July.
Erik Nelson
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

InvadErGII wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:16 pm I agree with the concerns over making it work at CO. SA2's questions are a little bit shorter than CO Trash's, so having one other tossup only event might work, but two would certainly be pushing it. I really don't want to step on anyone's toes there, so if two other side events are confirmed (or in the process of being so), perhaps UIUC is the best option (perhaps with a Purdue event later in the summer for folks who can't make it to the 'main event').
Scattergories has been confirmed for CO, and an announcement will go up after ACF Nationals.
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
InvadErGII
Rikku

Post by InvadErGII »

Looks like Age of Empires has also been announced, though I'm not sure how confirmed it is. Barring any big changes, let's plan on doing this at UIUC.

I let them know that my preferred weekend for this would be July 20th, assuming other events are also ready to be played by then - I can't travel either of the two prior weekends, and the 27th would cause a back-to-back with CO. Are there any potential issues with that weekend I'm not considering?
Erik Nelson
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

According to the latest thread, they're leaning towards doing Side Event Weekend in August now.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

InvadErGII
Rikku

Post by InvadErGII »

Cheynem wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:17 am According to the latest thread, they're leaning towards doing Side Event Weekend in August now.
Ahh. That'd certainly work for me, too.
Erik Nelson
mjoy
Lulu

Post by mjoy »

InvadErGII wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:44 pm There will also definitely be a Minnesota mirror in August or September
Is this still the case?
Michael Joy
Faculty Advisor/"Coach"/Travel Agent
Northern Michigan University Quiz Bowl
InvadErGII
Rikku

Post by InvadErGII »

mjoy wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:08 am
InvadErGII wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:44 pm There will also definitely be a Minnesota mirror in August or September
Is this still the case?
Oh yeah, there'll definitely be something.
Erik Nelson