A Bit of Lit: A Side Event

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
dhumphreys17
Wakka

A Bit of Lit: A Side Event

Post by dhumphreys17 »

Attention interested quiz bowlers: I am proud to announce that the Sacred Heart Academy quiz bowl team will be organizing a side event at NSC: A Bit of Lit!

Organization
Organized by yours truly, Devin Humphreys, captain of SHA Quiz Bowl, and Bit of Lit Tournament Director, this all-literature side event will run from 10 minutes following the conclusion of Saturday Mass until all packets are exhausted. I wrote these questions, with significant editing input from Will Nediger (noted U of M player) and Harris Bunker (noted MSU president). I'd also like to credit Wendy Erickson (fellow teammate) and Angie Reid (member of the SHA English department) for their contributions to the set. This question set was playtested by the other members of the SHA quiz bowl team.

Set Information
As of right now, the set consists of 3 10/10 literature packets with the following per-packet distribution:
3.33/3.33 American Lit (U.S.)
3.33/3.33 British Lit
1.66/1.33 Other European Lit
1.00/1.00 Russian Lit
0.33/0.66 World Lit (Non-European/Non-U.S.)
0.33/0.33 Religious Lit (0.33/0 Christian; 0/0.33 Non-Christian)
Difficulty of this set is best described as a notch above HS regular, with considerable deviation above and (mostly) below this baseline.

Tournament Format
I’d like to make this a quads event, but that doesn’t mean you need to sign up with a team; we can pair up free agents thanks to the glorious wonder that is the Internet. I’ve got a Google Sheet set up a la BONGOS for registration either with a team or as a free agent here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =285655521 .

This event currently has a field cap of 24 people, subject to expansion given enough interest and (more importantly) the ability to find more rooms. The field is closed to any new teams, but we still have room for three free agents.

We ask for a free-will offering with an optional suggested donation of $5. Format will be determined by the final size of the field, but the first priority is that all those registered will play all three packets.
Last edited by dhumphreys17 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Devin James John Humphreys
Sacred Heart Academy High School (MI), Class of 2017 - 2015 HSNCT, 2016 NSC, 2017 NSC
Michigan State University, B.A. Class of 2020
University of Notre Dame, J.D. Class of 2023 - standby 2023 ICT-DII; coach 2023-24
Cheynem
Sin

Re: A Bit of Lit: A Side Event at 2016 PACE NSC

Post by Cheynem »

When is Saturday mass?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
dhumphreys17
Wakka

Post by dhumphreys17 »

10 minutes following the conclusion of competition on Saturday, according to Cistercian.
Sacred Heart Academy High School (MI), Class of 2017 - 2015 HSNCT, 2016 NSC, 2017 NSC
University of Notre Dame, J.D. Class of 2023 - standby 2023 ICT-DII; coach 2023-24
dhumphreys17
Wakka

Post by dhumphreys17 »

Apologies for double-posting, but I wanted to clarify a few things.

1. With regard to time, we don't anticipate this side event running very long at all; if NSC uses the same schedule as last year, then Tiebreaker B will end at 6:30, Mass will start at about 6:45, Frs. Gregory and Augustine get it done quick and it should end at 7:20 at the latest, this side event will start at 7:25, and I anticipate being done by 8:15. This will probably be sufficiently early to not conflict with Imaginary Landscape, but I'm waiting to hear back on that one and will edit this post when I hear more.

2. We need a few things to make this side event a success. Sure, the original post says the field cap is 32 players, but that's assuming the only restriction is the size of the set. In all reality, the cap will inevitably be smaller if we can't secure ROOMS, ROOMS, ROOMS. Charles Hang was gracious enough to pledge two buzzer sets; those with ours mean that we only need one more buzzer set to run the tournament to capacity on the buzzer front. However, we only have one room right now, which restricts us to eight players in one room with our buzzers, leaving Mr. Hang the free agent with no team and no opportunity to play. I'd like to avoid this if at all possible, and in order to do this, I need more rooms.

3. If you would like to staff this instead of play it, we'd greatly appreciate your help, but we could go without any outside assistance on the staffing front and still run the tournament to capacity with 1 staffer to a room, so that isn't at the top of our priority list.

TL;DR:

We're trying not to conflict with Imaginary Landscape, but no promises. We need rooms badly, buzzers less badly, and staffers not at all, but any of these would be appreciated.
On a lurgid bee
Lulu

Post by On a lurgid bee »

I've met a couple people that want to join. How can they do that?

Also where is this?
Matthew Lehmann
Barrington High School '17
UChicago '21
WUSTL '24
dhumphreys17
Wakka

Post by dhumphreys17 »

My apologies to the Illinois team and to Sally Hemings (TJ) for being unable to play. However, of those teams that did play, here are the rankings:

4th place goes to Team Pennsylvania.
3rd place goes to Solon, a/k/a Rohin > John at Lit.
2nd place goes to our free agent team, the Island of Misfit Toys.
And 1st place goes to DCC Lit.

Top scorer goes to Conner Reynolds of DCC Lit.

I will post full stats on Monday night, as I brought the computer that doesn't have SQBS on it to Chicago.
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

dhumphreys17 wrote:My apologies to the Illinois team and to Sally Hemings (TJ) for being unable to play. However, of those teams that did play, here are the rankings:

4th place goes to Team Pennsylvania.
3rd place goes to Solon, a/k/a Rohin > John at Lit.
2nd place goes to our free agent team, the Island of Misfit Toys.
And 1st place goes to DCC Lit.

Top scorer goes to Conner Reynolds of DCC Lit.

I will post full stats on Monday night, as I brought the computer that doesn't have SQBS on it to Chicago.
Can we expect the set to be posted on the forum? Or can we request it to be emailed to us? I'm sure Illinois players (including me) would still love to play this a separate time.
Michael Etzkorn
Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy '16
UIUC '21
dhumphreys17
Wakka

Post by dhumphreys17 »

This will be posted in the fall. MSU has offered to help me host a mirror of this set at a fall tournament, so after that mirror is hosted, I'll clear the set and post it to the forum.

EDIT #1: Additionally, a mirror will be held on the IRC at some point, determined by when the most people can play on the IRC ( SlashNET #quizbowl ). So, for you Illinois quizbowlers, that would also be an option.

EDIT #3 and #4: The IRC mirror will take place on Friday at 8:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time.

EDIT #2: Stats are up! Here they are: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... standings/
dhumphreys17
Wakka

Post by dhumphreys17 »

Well, the IRC mirror happened. Here are individual results from that:

5th Place: Naveed Chowdhury (10 points)
4th Place: Vasa Clarke (70 points)
3rd Place: Chris Manners (195 points)
2nd Place: Mike Cheyne (495 points)
1st Place (Champion): Rob Carson (540 points)

Thanks to all who showed up and participated. After a mirror at MSU's next fall tournament, this set will get posted to the HSQB database.
dhumphreys17
Wakka

Post by dhumphreys17 »

Just an update: this set is being read at the MSU Fall Kickoff tournament on October 1, so I am hoping to get the set up on October 2.