2017 NASAT: June 24-25 at the University of Kentucky

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Cheynem
Sin

Re: 2017 NASAT: June 24-25 at the University of Kentucky

Post by Cheynem »

This is an obviously short notice, but the fault is mine, not Jacob's. The distro previously linked to (http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... 60#p296160) was slightly inaccurate--we are actually using (more or less) the distribution from last year's NASAT, not the one two years before.

This, more accurate distro looks like this:

20/20 Distribution
4/4 Literature (sub-distro is the same)
4/4 History (sub-distro is the same)
4/4 Science
-new sub-distro: bio and physics remain the same. Math increased to 18.7%, Chemistry increased to 16.2%, and the other science categories all decreased in light of this.
3/3 Arts (sub-distro is basically the same)
3/3 RMP (guaranteed 3/3, philosophy is 22.6%, and everything else is about an equal share of the rest--i.e., an extra religion or myth question will replace the rounds that do not have philosophy questions)
1/1 CE and Geo (we combined this category, 65% of which is geo, the remainder is CE)
1/1 Social Science (sub-distro is about the same)

In short the major changes are an increase in math and chemistry in the other sciences, a 3/3 RMP (but philo is not 1/1), and a combined 1/1 CE and Geo.

Again, this is the same distro we used last year; we just didn't properly explain those changes then. Sorry about that!
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

1992 in spaceflight wrote:
quizbowllee wrote:I may be just overlooking it, but I can't seem to find the actual rules of the NASAT tournament anywhere. Does it follow the PACE NSC format and rules? Is there anywhere where the rules are posted so that I can familiarize myself with them?

Thanks.
NASAT uses ACF rules. The ACF rules can be found here.
I believe all the team contacts have been informed of this, but there are a few changes to the ruleset we are using.

Just as with 2016 NASAT, we will be using the 2016 PACE ruleset, which is functionally identical to the current ACF ruleset [mostly, there are just some minor layout differences]. (I stress current because – unfortunately – the old ACF ruleset was linked above, which is very different from the ruleset we will be using.) (But, please, do review the PACE ruleset.)

Just as with 2016 NASAT, the following changes to the base ruleset will be in effect:
  • Addendum DY is included. Negs are a 5 point penalty (or a -5). No other addendums are included (i.e. addendums CX, DX, and EX are not included – as with previous iterations of NASAT, there will be no powers or bouncebacks).
  • Rule A6b shall read: "A team may also declare one or more assistant coaches. Assistant coaches shall be treated the same as a coach in all respects."
Not in keeping with 2016 NASAT, we are making two additional substantive changes to the protest rules, which we feel better accord with rule H1. Do note them carefully!
  • Rule H3 shall read: "Any active player or coach may formally lodge a protest by stating that they are lodging a protest and explaining the specific substance of the protest. Protests may only be lodged at halftime, or at the end of regulation play. Protests on any tiebreaker question may and must be lodged immediately after the affected question has been played."
  • Rule H3a remains in effect and is unchanged. ("Active players who are being substituted out must lodge a protest before the substitution occurs. Players who have just been substituted in may not lodge a protest regarding a question that was read when they were non-active.")
  • Rule H3b shall read: "The opportunity to start lodging protests ends for a given match either as soon as all members of one team have left the game room, or within one minute of the end of regulation play. Indicating interest in lodging a protest, in accordance with rule H2, shall be considered as starting to lodge a protest."
More informally, we are removing the restriction that questions in the first half may only be protested at halftime, and no later. We are also clarifying what constitutes starting to lodge a protest, and the timeframe in which starting to lodge a protest must occur. Teams should be sure to make sure all potential protests (i.e. those that have not yet been formally lodged) are lodged, moot, withdrawn, or conceded before leaving the room.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Reminder of the restaurant list: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... Restaurant

Updates: JJ McBrewster's closed. Willie's Locally Known is open and a great BBQ place. Sahara is closed for the summer. Skewers is a great replacement Mediterranean place.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

The schedule for NASAT can be viewed at the following links: prelims schedule / playoffs schedule.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Antrobus63
Wakka

Post by Antrobus63 »

Stats link?
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88
Coach, Moravian Academy History Bowl 2020-23
Lehigh Valley Academy 2016-18
Pennsylvania NASAT '15, ‘18, ‘22, '23
Owner and Teacher, Prepare Test Preparation
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

An advantaged final is about to start, with Illinois having the advantage over New York.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Congratulations to Team Illinois, who won the first game of an advantage final against Team New York! Texas A and California rounded out the Top 4.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Congratulations to Illinois and all the teams; I hope everyone enjoyed the tournament.

A private discussion forum will be set up to discuss the set; please do not discuss question specifics in public, as there are a number of mirrors.

Edit: Private forum is now set up. Please request access if you have played or are not going to play a mirror.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Ent
Lulu

Post by Ent »

I might have missed this somewhere ... but I just need a clarification.

Is the "All Games" ranking the official order of final finish, or is the "Playoff" finish the final order of finish?
Thomas Egan
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

I've asked Tyler to separate the combined file by top and bottom bracket. Until that is fixed, consider the playoffs file to be the correct order of finish.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Ent
Lulu

Post by Ent »

Thanks, Jacob!
Thomas Egan
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Are there plans to host a Skype mirror of NASAT?
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

There might be; I apologize for being slow on this regard and I'll try and see if there's interest.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

This set is now posted.

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/questionsets/1975/

I'll be making the discussion public soon as well--there are some very interesting detailed stats made by Ophir that you'll be able to see as well.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

wiser@marist
Lulu

Post by wiser@marist »

Any talk of dates & location for 2018 NASAT?
Rand Wise
Marist
Antrobus63
Wakka

Post by Antrobus63 »

Yeah, we have a committee ready to go but won't proceed any further until we get a green light on the tournament itself. I understand that it may not happen this year but we'd like to know one way or the other. Certainty, even if its disappointment, is easier to live with than uncertainty.
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88
Coach, Moravian Academy History Bowl 2020-23
Lehigh Valley Academy 2016-18
Pennsylvania NASAT '15, ‘18, ‘22, '23
Owner and Teacher, Prepare Test Preparation
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I realize I sound like a broken record, but we are talking to a party interested in running NASAT in the future. We are hoping to finalize an agreement soon and leave the decision about 2018 NASAT up to him.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

A few updates:

1. Unfortunately, the computer containing the recordings of the 2017 NASAT games was lost. We apologize for that.

2. We believe we are very close to finishing a deal with a party who will take charge of the NASAT tournament. The holidays and some personal issues unfortunately ended up delaying the proceedings longer than we wanted.

3. While we believe this deal will be completed and that this party is an experienced, capable person for running a tournament, we also recognize that he may not have the resources or time to put together NASAT 2018. We will leave that entirely up to him: HSAPQ has no plans as an organization to be involved in future runnings of NASAT. This is not to say we won't do everything we can to keep the tournament going, only that all future decisions will be made by other parties.

4. I realize this leaves high schoolers/states/coaches in a bit of a bind. We apologize and hope to complete our deal as soon as possible so the new party can make his own announcement about NASAT 2018.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota