(2018) HSNCT Side event: Hamilton

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
tiwonge
Yuna

(2018) HSNCT Side event: Hamilton

Post by tiwonge »

The musical Hamilton is coming to Atlanta.

http://atlanta.broadway.com/shows/hamilton-baa/

There are show dates during HSNCT on Friday night (8 PM), Saturday night (8 PM) and Sunday (1 PM and 6:30 PM). No show dates listed for Monday.

I don't see anything here about ticket prices; it may be too early to buy tickets? Or maybe they're just selling season tickets?

There is something about group rates, though. Group rates are for 20+.

That's just a few schools, if people want to get together as a group and sign up.

Just putting this out as a FYI. I'm not interested in organizing this or anything.
Last edited by tiwonge on Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
A_Failure
Lulu

Re: HSNCT Side event: Hamilton

Post by A_Failure »

Just to clarify: I think that this is happening in 2018. But the 2018 HSNCT will also be in Atlanta, so it is still possible.
Dean Ah Now
Millburn '20
Pomona '24
CSQuizJags
Tidus

Re: (2018) HSNCT Side event: Hamilton

Post by CSQuizJags »

I put in for a group order of 20 tickets for any staffers interested. Have not heard about the costs per ticket, but it's worth a shot to be in the room where it happens. That will be your best bet unless you wanted to order a season packet at $800 a seat minimum for the one show.
Cedar Shoals HS Academic Team:
2011, 2012, and 2013 Classic City Academic Team Champions
2014 Region 8-AAAAA Varsity and JV Champions
2013 GATA Class AAAAA JV State Champions
2014 WSB-TV HighQ Tournament Champions
Arthur Banks, Advisor
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

Do you know if this is for 2017 or 2018?
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
CSQuizJags
Tidus

Post by CSQuizJags »

It's May 22-June 10, 2018.
Cedar Shoals HS Academic Team:
2011, 2012, and 2013 Classic City Academic Team Champions
2014 Region 8-AAAAA Varsity and JV Champions
2013 GATA Class AAAAA JV State Champions
2014 WSB-TV HighQ Tournament Champions
Arthur Banks, Advisor
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

I would be interested in going.
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
idek
Lulu

Post by idek »

I'd be down for something like this in high school.
Vishal Sivamani
Coppell
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

It's obviously too early for me to know what my plans are for next year's HSNCT, but I'd enjoy doing this.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

Sooooo, will this be an actual thing?

(I personally do not have time to organise anything)
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

As the date gets closer, and as Fred announces that he has taken over NASAT management ... I stumbled upon this. Sorry if I'm talking from a place of total ignorance here, but I hope my experience might be at least somewhat useful ...

http://music.blog.myajc.com/2017/12/13/ ... it-for-it/

According to this tickets aren't on sale through the venue until a couple months before the show.

Various sites are selling them -- ranging from the solid but expensive (StubHub would refund you or get you tickets if need be) to the shady af. Just be careful. Also, since these shows @ HSNCT are weekend shows, demand will be all the higher.

But they are not *officially* on sale except to people who've bought subscriptions and maybe people who are otherwise members/supporters of the venue (Fox Theatre) -- the venues I'm a member of do offer early sales to members/supporters and also sell season subscriptions.

Does anyone know how the Fox Theatre has organized blockbuster tours in the past? (I know Book of Mormon generated a lot of buzz in DC, and this is the only one that I can compare the Hamilton buzz to.)

Now some of these folks may just be turning around and selling for 2-3x face value -- some folks have reported that StubHub is selling for 3x face value already.

From my experience getting tickets in the past few years to hot shows at the Kennedy Center (at least Book of Mormon and now Hamilton) as a peon member.

1) Today's sale to members broke all sorts of Kennedy Center records. I was about 14k or so in "line" and got tickets for $179. Apparently I was one the lucky ones -- about 40 minutes after I bought the Kennedy Center Twitter announced only singleton tickets in the $675 sections were available. This was within 7 hours of tickets going on sale. There will be a public sale next month, and I can't imagine demand being *less*.
1a) Now DC may be inflated because Hamilton was a political figure and, well, DC is Hollywood for ugly people and political wonks.
2) Either be prepared for the venue to be impossible to reach the day of sales or for there to be a waiting room/lottery system. Basically today I went to the Kennedy Center website -- if you were there at 10am you were randomly placed in line. If you showed up late, you got put at the end of the line.
3) There's probably going to be a lottery the day of for like $10 -- you show up like an hour or two before the gates open and shoot your shot.

My thinking is that folks interested in going should band together and for a "HSNCT ticket buying club." Figure out the shows that work best for attendees. Not sure when HSNCT lets out on Saturdays i.e. if an 8pm Saturday show wouldn't work for people wanting to go.

If tickets are going on sale earlier to members, improve your odds and buy memberships (typically $40-$80) to the venue. Don't wait until the day of member sales -- a false rumor was actually reported on TV that you could do that. Basically check the venue's site for the rules & regulations on that front.

Follow that pattern for the more reputable third-party sites (StubHub, Broadway.com, etc.) In short, try every possible reputable method of getting tickets. Third party sites will simply cost more. So whoever has the $$$ to buy the group seats (I'd guesstimate spending about $2-3k for 20 tickets in a group sale, so you'd need fairly deep pockets.)

One strength you guys will likely have is that you may not need to be seated together, so you're able to scrape up some of the singletons in the nosebleed sections. I had my wife who would've cashed in my life insurance policy had I done that. :)

Each person in the "HSNCT ticket buying club" should then buy 4 tickets (or the max) each.

Everyone that lucks out can sell at face value to anyone interested or sell any surplus tickets on StubHub (GA seems to be fairly lenient with scalping -- the licensed ticket holder can sell for a profit as long as they are not hanging around the stadium and licensed ticket brokers can sell for a profit as well. If it's a case of "100 people want to go, but 50 got tickets through the venue, and 50 paid $$$ through StubHub," figure out some way to average it out for everyone.

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/verify ... /504566958
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

To follow up on this, the Fox Theatre will begin ticket sales Sunday morning at 10am ET (and will probably complete ticket sales Sunday morning around 10:15am ET). Prices will range from $80 to $330. The theatre recommends that you create an account before Sunday so that you're ready when sales begin.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov