Fundraising for PACE NSC

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Father Comstock
Lulu

Fundraising for PACE NSC

Post by Father Comstock »

Hey guys,

My team is trying to attend its first ever pyramidal nationals tournament this summer but we (begrudgingly) are still going to the NAC (2 time champs woo :lol: )so we don't have a lot of extra funds in the bank right now and some of our more active players have already spent an additional 200-250 dollars on going to far away tournaments without the whole team. Our coach has been reluctant to fundraise so another player and I have been burdened with gathering all of the money along with completing our senior year of high school. Anybody have any advice on how to go about raising these funds? Are corporations/colleges willing to donate if it is tax deductible?

Thanks,

Ben
Ben Anthony
Harrison High School '17, Purdue University '21
I made this as a freshman, I realize my name is stupid. I never even played Bioshock.
bretthogan43
Lulu

Re: Fundraising for PACE NSC

Post by bretthogan43 »

I feel your pain. I have to do every bit of the fundraising for our team.

My best advice to you would be to try and extort money from your grandparents or other people close to you that will blindly give you money if you can give them a good enough reason. That's how my team has a lot of its money. Try going to the restaurants or shops close to your high school and find the frequent patrons or storeowners who you know will give to something if it benefits the some part of school activities (in this case, quizbowl).

I tried a GoFundMe account once but that failed. I went just about everywhere within a 25-mile radius putting up flyers advertising our need for donations- to no avail. Best of luck to you.
Brett Hogan
former player, Wallace State Community College
Athens State University alumni
bluejay123
Lulu

Post by bluejay123 »

bretthogan43 wrote:extort money
:party:
Jaya Alagar
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

bretthogan43 wrote:
My best advice to you would be to try and extort money from your grandparents or other people close to you that will blindly give you money if you can give them a good enough reason. That's how my team has a lot of its money. Try going to the restaurants or shops close to your high school and find the frequent patrons or storeowners who you know will give to something if it benefits the some part of school activities (in this case, quizbowl).
I would not do this. Your best bet for fundraising is to make a good or preform a service that people want in exchange for money. Assuming you can get your friends on the team to help, you can get them to work your event for free so the team can make money. You have plenty of options for fundraising including the obvious bake sale where you can get parents to buy the the ingredients, help you and your team bake the treats, then sell them for 50 cents or a dollar each. You will make plenty of profit because you are buying the ingredients almost at cost from the grocery sale, while you can mark up highly for the bake sale. I remember when I was in high school, there were laws on the books banning school bake sales and pizza sales, etc. that were instituted under the Obama administration (this is what our advispr told us), so if you can't sell food, you could do a Saturday car wash for $5. You just need to buy sponges, soap, brooms and use your school's parking lot. A lot of other high school teams make money by running tournaments but it seems late in the year to announce anything.

If you are not interested in doing an event, you could ask local restaurants in your area if on a weekday night (say Tuesday where business is bad), part of the profits can go to your team. If you advertise for the business, the business gets more patronage on a night it needs more customers, and you take home a percentage of its profit. In short, make it worthwhile for both your team and the business. You are much more likely to be successfull at fundraising if you can make it worthwhile for both sides -- get a double coincidence of wants.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
LaurenJernstadt
Lulu

Post by LaurenJernstadt »

Our team recently put on a Spaghetti Dinner at a local church to fundraise for HSNCT. The people there were very generous and donated food alongside monetary donations. We made over $2100! Now we need a way to fundraise the other $1400-$1600, but where we are at right now, each team member would only need to contribute around $150 each. Hope this helps!
But it might be best to do a spaghetti dinner (or any sort of dinner) at a church depending on the demographics of your school. We had a spaghetti dinner at the school for my SADD group and were lucky to break even. Church people are typically more generous and will appeal to your achievements.
Lauren Jernstadt
Fulton High School Varsity Captain
2016-2017 Quiz Bowl Season
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

LaurenJernstadt wrote:Our team recently put on a Spaghetti Dinner at a local church to fundraise for HSNCT. The people there were very generous and donated food alongside monetary donations. We made over $2100! Now we need a way to fundraise the other $1400-$1600, but where we are at right now, each team member would only need to contribute around $150 each. Hope this helps!
But it might be best to do a spaghetti dinner (or any sort of dinner) at a church depending on the demographics of your school. We had a spaghetti dinner at the school for my SADD group and were lucky to break even. Church people are typically more generous and will appeal to your achievements.
This seems like an awesome idea. Did you advertise that people could donate ahead of time or were the patrons particularly generous?
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Father Comstock
Lulu

Post by Father Comstock »

Thanks for all the responses!! My mom is a families pastor at our church of about 800 so I will start there. I went pro in photography last year but have not been taking as many clients because of how busy I have been lately, but maybe I will advertise some sort of deal with that as well.
Ben Anthony
Harrison High School '17, Purdue University '21
I made this as a freshman, I realize my name is stupid. I never even played Bioshock.
LaurenJernstadt
Lulu

Progcon wrote:
LaurenJernstadt wrote:Our team recently put on a Spaghetti Dinner at a local church to fundraise for HSNCT. The people there were very generous and donated food alongside monetary donations. We made over $2100! Now we need a way to fundraise the other $1400-$1600, but where we are at right now, each team member would only need to contribute around $150 each. Hope this helps!
This seems like an awesome idea. Did you advertise that people could donate ahead of time or were the patrons particularly generous?
We did advertise as heavily as we could: putting it in school announcements, hanging flyers around the area, and I set up a Facebook event since I am friends with many adults in the area. When it came to donations, it was a combonation of ahead of time donations and generous people. We received many checks for $100+, and it isn't that big of a church. I think we had about 250 people at most. We also received donations from people who were unable to attend, people who donated but didn't eat, and people who promised they will make a donation and couldn't attend (my aunt's whole family was down with the flu that day). Also, if you advertise it as a free will donation, you end up making loads more money than setting a price per plate!
Lauren Jernstadt
LaurenJernstadt
Lulu

One other tip with the dinner fundraiser: have people donate the food! We literally spent $0 on preparing the meal because an old elementary school teacher who was a member of the church bought all of the decorations for us and asked families to donate spaghetti, sauce, salads, garlic bread, desserts, and drinks. Although that church is very small, we were able to make bank on the fundraiser because of the overall generosity of the people there (food wise and donation wise)!
Lauren Jernstadt