2018 PACE NSC: June 2-3, Reston

NAQT HSNCT, NAQT SSNCT, PACE NSC, HSAPQ NASAT, and NAC are discussed here.

2018 PACE NSC: June 2-3, Reston

Postby slothslothsloth » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:09 pm

The Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence is proud to announce that the 2018 National Scholastic Championship (NSC) will be held at the Hyatt Regency Reston on June 2-3, 2018.

The Hyatt Regency Reston has been the site of the 2015 NSC, as well as numerous quizbowl national championships. PACE looks forward to continuing our partnership to bring teams a high-quality tournament in the NSC tradition.

The tournament will be directed by Ryan Rosenberg, and the set will be head edited by Rob Carson.

More details can be found on the PACE website about the tournament, qualification guidelines, and how to register once qualified.

Registration opens on November 1 for all qualified teams. The tournament field has historically filled up to the cap of 96 teams, so we encourage teams to start the registration process as early as possible.

We look forward to seeing you in Reston!
Niki Peters

UC Berkeley, 2018
TVMSC/"Guilder", 2014
slothslothsloth
Lulu

Re: 2018 PACE NSC: June 2-3, Reston

Postby Deviant Insider » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:15 pm

Happy new year! We remind qualified teams to register soon if they have not already. We now have 42 teams registered, so we are close to half full.

Wildcard bids are now open for teams who have not qualified through qualifier tournaments. To submit a wildcard bid, email PACE’s Wild Card Coordinator, Ian Drayer, at wildcard@pace-nsc.org with the following: team name, contact information, and a summary of the team’s accomplishments throughout the year.
David Reinstein
PACE President, Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo and Masonics (Illinois), TD for New Trier Scobol Solo and New Trier Varsity, Writer for NAQT, IHSSBCA Board Member, IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014), New Trier Coach (1994-2011)
Deviant Insider
Auron

Postby Mike Bentley » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:47 pm

Big Y wrote:Happy new year! We remind qualified teams to register soon if they have not already. We now have 42 teams registered, so we are close to half full.

One point of clarification: these are teams that have filled out the registration form. Teams are not guaranteed in the field a spot until they get their deposit in.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Mike Bentley
Auron

Postby Deviant Insider » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:00 pm

As of now, we have identified 264 qualified teams, had 62 teams fill out the form to express interest, and received deposits from 31 teams. We expect all of those numbers to increase significantly over the next month. We are not at the point where teams need to send in their deposit today to get a spot in the field, but we will get there in the next month or two. If your team has not yet decided whether or not to play NSC, it's something you should figure out soon. If your teams wants to play NSC, you should figure out how to get the deposit in.
David Reinstein
PACE President, Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo and Masonics (Illinois), TD for New Trier Scobol Solo and New Trier Varsity, Writer for NAQT, IHSSBCA Board Member, IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014), New Trier Coach (1994-2011)
Deviant Insider
Auron

Postby Deviant Insider » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:29 pm

As of now, we have identified 349 qualified teams, had 70 teams fill out the form to express interest, and received deposits from 33 teams. If your team has not received an invitation but wants to play the NSC, send an email to wildcard@pace-nsc.org. You can either request a wildcard spot or, if you think that your team qualified but is not on our list, explain why you think your team already qualified.

Also, we have added a tournament description to our Tournament Announcement so that teams have more information about NSC.
David Reinstein
Deviant Insider
Auron

Postby cat » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:21 pm

Small thing: the 'whether your team has qualified' hyperlink on that page links to http://www.pace-nsc.org/2018-nsc-qualified-teams/, which doesn't exist, instead of http://www.pace-nsc.org/2018-nsc-qualifying-teams/.
Catherine Qian
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School '18
University of Pennsylvania '22
GSAC XXV (mirror this!)
cat
Lulu

Postby Deviant Insider » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:10 pm

Thanks for the heads up. That is now fixed.

The past NSCs link is also currently wrong and will be fixed soon.
David Reinstein
Deviant Insider
Auron

Postby 100% Clean Comedian Dan Nainan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:10 pm

How long does PACE usually take to make decisions about tournament certification? I submitted the form for the Auburn Invitational Tournament (http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20694) before Christmas, and I never heard anything back about whether or not we're a PACE qualifier.
Chandler West
Auburn University 2016-20xx
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) 2012-16
100% Clean Comedian Dan Nainan
Wakka

Postby Thiccasso's Guernthicca » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:35 pm

cwest123 wrote:How long does PACE usually take to make decisions about tournament certification? I submitted the form for the Auburn Invitational Tournament (http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20694) before Christmas, and I never heard anything back about whether or not we're a PACE qualifier.

Where can one find this form? The website said that there was no need for a form, as the certifiers would just look through the forums to find qualifiable tournaments, although I may be wrong.
Wonyoung Jang
Belmont High School '18 (Co-Captain)
UChicago '22
Thiccasso's Guernthicca
Lulu

Postby Mike Bentley » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:20 pm

Thiccasso's Guernthicca wrote:
cwest123 wrote:How long does PACE usually take to make decisions about tournament certification? I submitted the form for the Auburn Invitational Tournament (http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20694) before Christmas, and I never heard anything back about whether or not we're a PACE qualifier.

Where can one find this form? The website said that there was no need for a form, as the certifiers would just look through the forums to find qualifiable tournaments, although I may be wrong.

I go through the tournament certifications about every week or two. If you haven't heard back, send me an e-mail and I'll take a look at what happened.

Tournaments that are posted to the HSQuizbowl Tournament DB should also get a mail to start the process. If you've posted one and haven't received it, let me know and I'll make sure you receive it.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Auron

Postby Deviant Insider » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:57 pm

As of now, we have identified 383 qualified teams, had 75 teams fill out the form to express interest, and received deposits from 41 teams.
David Reinstein
Deviant Insider
Auron

Postby UlyssesInvictus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:13 pm

I've created a running list of declared and/or putative side events here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20995&p=341469#p341469

This is not official, and I don't claim to be speaking for NSC in any way/shape/or form. It's just to help organize information.

I don't remember what PACE's official policy on side-events is, but it might be helpful for someone to dig that up again as well.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
Ex-Writer for NAQT
UlyssesInvictus
Tidus

Postby Geriatric trauma » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:38 pm

UlyssesInvictus wrote:I don't remember what PACE's official policy on side-events is, but it might be helpful for someone to dig that up again as well.

PACE's current side event policy is:
PACE side event policy wrote:1) PACE does not officially organize or sanction side events.
2) NSC staffers cannot volunteer PACE-provided hotel rooms for use at side events. PACE-provided hotel rooms are intended as sleeping spaces, and they must remain available as such for NSC staffers.
3) Team-provided buzzers are also not generally available for use at side events, since they are locked away overnight.
4) People other than core control room staff are welcome to play in side events.
Ryan Rosenberg
Taking classes at DePaul | North Carolina '16 | Ardsley '12
TD, 2018 NSC | Editor, 2017 ACF Fall | PACE
Geriatric trauma
Auron

Postby Mike Bentley » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:32 pm

We're now up to 90 teams having filled out the first step of registration and 46 teams having secured a spot by sending in a deposit. If you haven't filled out the registration form and sent your deposit it in yet, you should do so soon to make sure that you have a spot in the tournament.

Also a reminder that the early payment deadline is coming up on March 1st.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Auron

Postby Joshua Rutsky » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:11 pm

I went to the Reston web site to try to reserve hotel rooms, and have gotten a "nothing available" response. Does PACE have a block of rooms reserved, and if so, what is the procedure for getting them? Should I be looking for another hotel in the immediate area (which there does not appear to be on first glance)?
Joshua Rutsky
Coach, Hoover High School, Hoover, AL
Joshua Rutsky
Rikku

Postby Aaron's Rod » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:31 pm

Joshua Rutsky wrote:I went to the Reston web site to try to reserve hotel rooms, and have gotten a "nothing available" response. Does PACE have a block of rooms reserved, and if so, what is the procedure for getting them? Should I be looking for another hotel in the immediate area (which there does not appear to be on first glance)?

PACE does have a block of rooms available. There are details on the registration page on our website, but our direct link is https://aws.passkey.com/go/PACE2018. I just tested it out and it seems to be in working order.
Alex D.
Lawrence University B.A., B.Mus. '16 // DePaul University M.S. '18
Director of Communications, PACE // Writer, NAQT
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Postby Mike Bentley » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:06 pm

80 teams have now sent in a deposit, leaving only 16 slots available.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Auron

Postby Mike Bentley » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:15 pm

We are down to one open slot pending any drops. There will be a wait list after that.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Auron

Postby Mike Bentley » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:26 pm

And now we're full.

We have not plans to expand the field, but in previous years there have been a couple of teams that have dropped after the field filled up. Thus, we expect (but cannot guarantee) that at least a few of the teams on the waitlist will make it in. Teams still need to send in the deposit and/or registration fee to secure a spot on the waitlist, but we won't deposit it (or will refund it in case of Paypal) until the team gets a spot in the field.

If you have any questions, e-mail me at treasurer@pace-nsc.org.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Auron

Return to National Tournaments