Historature at PACE NSC (Saturday evening)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Historature at PACE NSC (Saturday evening)

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

This is a preliminary announcement for a mirror of Historature, a charity tournament, at the 2018 PACE NSC, to be held on Saturday night of the main event. Parents, players, and staff are all encouraged to play. If you are not interested in playing, but wish to contribute to the fundraiser, you may send a PayPal donation to [email protected]

More information about the tournament can be found here. It is designed to be accessible to strong high school players (over 70% of the answers would be be appropriate for PACE NSC / HSNCT) but is targeted at WAO difficulty (college regular-plus), so it should be a fair challenge for high school superteams and an experienced audience alike, and many tossups will be convertible near the end by less skilled players.

To make sure that players and staff are not up too late, we plan on running a short tournament. We will not use any formats that require more than eight rounds for players who are not involved in the finals. Since this is a tossup-only tournament, eight rounds should not take more than three hours. To ensure this, we will ask that only experienced moderators volunteer, to keep this tournament running smoothly.

For now, the field is capped at 12 teams. There will be two prelim brackets of six, followed by a rebracket into top and bottom brackets (ties will be broken on PPG), then three playoff games. If the top finishers with to play a final, they may do so.

The entry fee will be a flat $15 per player. The tournament will be using staff hotel rooms - please volunteer yours to help this event go smoothly! PACE requires that all roommates within a given hotel room consent to using their room for a side event, so please check with your roommates if they are OK with hosting a side event in their room. We also need buzzers, but we can't use team buzzers (those will be locked up during the night) - if you are a college team that has buzzers available, please consider allowing us to use them!

Signups here, on the PACE tab
Last edited by naan/steak-holding toll on Thu May 31, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Re: Historature at PACE NSC (Saturday evening)

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

Hey y'all. Anson Berns and I have formed a team for this mirror and are looking for teammates. PM me if you're interested!

Edit: Jon Suh and Waley He have joined the team so we're full!
Last edited by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul on Tue May 29, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

I won't be able to post logistics until I know more about the staff room situation. For now, signups are wide open.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Hi folks,

Since PACE playoffs are scheduled to begin at 3PM and will consist of five rounds, I'd like to begin this tournament at 7PM. This should give teams adequate time to pick up dinner nearby. We will finish by 10:30 PM - even though this is a tossup-only tournament, this means no more than eight rounds in total, because hotels can be confusing to navigate. Feel free to continue signing up teams.

You can pay via cash, via Venmo (@walston), or via PayPal ([email protected]) - the latter two methods are preferred.

Room assignments have been sent out. If you are a PACE staffer and would like to volunteer your room for Historature, please let me know.

Finally, we need buzzers! I am to understand that team buzzers are locked away for PACE, but any extra buzzers would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Last edited by naan/steak-holding toll on Thu May 31, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:
Finally, we need buzzers! I am to understand that team buzzers are locked away for PACE, but any extra buzzers would be greatly appreciated.
I have a set of buzzers that I can (hopefully) remember to bring.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Updated OP with planned schedule. For now, we're capping the field at twelve teams. Five-person teams may be formed if all twelve teams have four people (you can message me to ask for an exception to this).

We will be taking signups on-site and assigning these free agents to teams - I don't want to turn anyone down, since this is for charity, so please be aware that your team may receive free agent(s).

EDIT: We will be using advanced stats for this tournament (no buzzpoints, though).
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

We have secured rooms and moderators. We need one more buzzer - please let me know if you can volunteer yours!
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
qiu621
Lulu

Post by qiu621 »

You can use our buzzers.
Jeffrey Qiu
Canyon Crest Academy '18
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Please find the schedule for the tournament here. PACE has informed me that we will receive a block of rooms on the same floor, but I'm not sure what block of rooms we'll get yet. I'll post an update when we receive room information.

SIGNUPS ARE STILL OPEN! Please feel free to sign on to any team, though preferably one that's not full yet :smile: and a reminder that this all goes to charity! If you'd like, you can just show up to the designated meeting area (to be added) and I'll just put you on a team.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Meet on the tenth floor at 7:10
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:Meet on the tenth floor at 7:10
Can we push this back? Some people are involved in tiebreakers.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

High Dependency Unit wrote:
Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:Meet on the tenth floor at 7:10
Can we push this back? Some people are involved in tiebreakers.
Yes. 7:30.

EDIT: PACE is providing us with buzzers. Nobody needs to bring buzzers now.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Hey people who showed up and decided not to play: please don't do that. You are making other people very sad.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

The Bollinger-Hirsch team predictably eviscerated the me-Asher-Punyamurtula team in a head-to-head match, after which we elected not to play a final. Big thanks to the writers!
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Muriel Axon wrote:The Bollinger-Hirsch team predictably eviscerated the me-Asher-Punyamurtula team in a head-to-head match, after which we elected not to play a final. Big thanks to the writers!
This is accurate. Thank you all for playing! I will post stats this week.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
c*t
Wakka

Post by c*t »

This was good fun on good questions for a good cause and people should play it if they can! Thanks for running it, Will
Catherine Qian (she/her/hers)
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School '18
University of Pennsylvania '22
Secretary, PACE
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Sorry for being so late with this - thank you so much to everyone who played this tournament! Stats can be found here.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16