FILM Playtesting/Side-Event at PACE NSC 2018

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

FILM Playtesting/Side-Event at PACE NSC 2018

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

This is a short announcement for a playtesting/side-event of FILM, at the 2018 PACE NSC. FILM is a 10 round, tossup only set, with both trash and art film content. Most answerlines will be accessible at the strong high school level, but with question content at a college nationals difficulty level.

The fee will be $5/person; if you commit to staffing/hosting FILM at any other event, the fee is free. This is intended primarily as a playtest, so the format will likely be a shootout of around 50-70% of the set (100-120 tossups; 5 cents a tossup!) in a single room. If many people sign up, then we'll split up into more rooms.

I am currently targeting this for Friday night. If the shootout format is used as expected, then we'll likely play slapbowl in a single hotel room.* If we move to playing full rounds, I'll try and wrangle buzzers and more rooms.

All are welcome to play. I'll update this thread with more details as I figure things up.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Re: FILM Playtesting/Side-Event at PACE NSC 2018

Just to give me some idea of what to expect, here's a spreadsheet where you can "sign up:" https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing.

For now it's just a way to claim a spot: it will become a team formation spreadsheet if needed.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

I have updates!
  • Like all other mirrors of FILM, the proceeds from this playtest will go toward the JED Foundation, a 4-star charity dedicated to suicide prevention for teens and young adults.
  • I have changed the "recommendation fee" to $10, but will make playing this playtest "pay what you can." That is, it's suggested that you pay $10, but if you feel unable to pay at this time, you can play for free. You can pay by venmoing "Raynor-Kuang" with the subject "FILM," or in cash at the site.
  • As mentioned above, this is mainly a playtest, and so you almost won't hear all the questions in the full 10-round set.
    I highly encourage playing this at a proper mirror instead if you can, such as the Illinois or Boston opens. I really want people to experience the set in full if possible, so I'm going to push hard for this. Of course, even if you are going to a summer open, you're still free to play this playtest if you really want to.
  • I've added an email column to the spreadsheet. Please add your email if you've already signed up, or are planning to.
  • We're currently sitting at just few enough people to run this as a single-room shootout, so that's what I'll do. If we expand any further, I'll split into two rooms of shootouts. We'll play one game with random assignments, then reseed based on top scorers.
  • I still need to find rooms to host in, so if you'd like to volunteer your hotel room, please do so. I would really appreciate it! <3
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

PACE just sent out staffer emails, and staffers are officially supposed to help set up Friday night, if they're there, until 9 PM.

It's not ideal to be doing so, but as a result I'm going to set the meeting time for FILM to be at 8:45 PM, with the grace 15 minutes for setup. I'll update night of if staffers can potentially get out sooner. I expect this to run for 90-120 minutes, so even if we start super later, we should definitely be done in a reasonable time for bed.

I'll post later with the exact location we should be meeting.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Based on current signups, we will run two rooms for 3 rounds of shootouts of randomized groups (seeded by me), before reseeding based on scores and playing until 11 or we've finished all packets, whichever is sooner. If people drop moment of, we can coalesce back into a 1 room shoot out.

I'll update later with the exact rooms we'll be playing in. Expect to have initial gathering somewhere in the hotel first floor.

As a reminder, this tournament has a suggested fee of $10/person (for charity!), but you can donate whatever you like.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
zeebli123
Lulu

Post by zeebli123 »

How are teams going to work?
Michael Li
High Tech '19
Co-captain, 2018-2019
Brown '23
"Everything Michael says sounds like a song with his voice" - Arjun Nageswaran
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

zeebli123 wrote:How are teams going to work?
Based on current numbers, IMO it's easiest to just have shootouts in both rooms, with reseeding after initial playing to make sure rooms play out competitively. Otherwise, I'd have to force everyone to pick one of four teams, and I don't feel great about that working out smoothly. This is just what seems easiest right now given available rooms and staffers (2 of each), so I'll take suggestions for other options!
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

More updates! We'll be running three rooms, and we'll be meeting by the buzzer room (the alcove to the right of team sign in.) I'll give updates there.

I'll be wearing the Capitals baseball cap (eagle logo), which you can use to find me.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

I'll give people this info in-person at our initial meeting at 9 as well, but here are the initial (randomized) seedings of rooms:

message me directly to get what room you're in, or wait for this to update. if you're not sure, just pick a room out of these three at random

Room 1003
Evan Annie Alex Matt W aakash steven tomas

Room 1004
Michael Borecki William Golden Michael Li Adrian Thamburaj James Malouf Ben, Jakob Myers

Room 1014
Sam Brochin Peter Schmidt Kelin Carpenter Jonathan Ratliff Michael Yue Alex Schmidt Alex Dzurick
Last edited by UlyssesInvictus on Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Last update! I won't give room numbers (so people don't accidentally wander there early), but we'll be meeting at 9, at the buzzer room as planned.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Adding 5 minutes to allow peoppe to gradually filter in.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Thank you to everyone who played this: scores will be tomorrow, after I'm done staffing NSC. I raised $195, so let's call that an even $400 going to charity.

If you'd like copies of the set, just email me and I'll send them your way.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Oh and double thanks to Emmet Laurie and Jon Suh for reading for me.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

This happened, and I believe people had a lot of fun. Here are the scores. Note that especially in the later rounds, people moved around rooms or left. You can find full round reports at these Google sheets:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

PRELIMS
Evan 80
Annie 75
Alex 30
Matt W 320
aakash 100
steven 40
tomas 10
najwa 55