Women in Quizbowl Panel Discussion @ HSNCT Saturday Night

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Jasconius
Lulu

Women in Quizbowl Panel Discussion @ HSNCT Saturday Night

Post by Jasconius »

Sophia Weng (a junior on Blair A) and I are organizing a panel discussion to talk about women in quizbowl. The discussion will be in room M101 at the Marquis on Saturday, May 25th, from 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM, about an hour after afternoon games at HSNCT end. Here's what Sophia has to say about the event:

“Last year, hundreds of girls gathered for a photo at HSNCT to show that girls can both do quizbowl and love it. However, we still have a long way to go before women are equally and fairly represented in the quizbowl community. Therefore, this year at HSNCT, we plan to build off of the momentum from last year’s efforts by hosting a panel discussion about women in quizbowl with a panel of recent and current high school quizbowl players. We will be taking questions and comments from the audience, and we would like to create a vibrant, polite discussion.

We will be discussing why there is a gender imbalance in the game, experiences with tokenism among the community, and what we can all do, regardless of gender, to make our quizbowl programs more accepting, and, hopefully, more female! We’d like to be able to represent many different facets of quizbowl, so if you have something to say, or you’d just like to listen, please come! We invite everyone to bring their opinions, experiences, and questions!”

If you have more questions, please email Sophia at [email protected] or contact me via the forums or Discord.

If you’d like to suggest a discussion topic, check out our quizpolling post (link), or message me or Sophia directly.
Matthew Siff
Georgetown Day School '20
Yale University '25
Jasconius
Lulu

Re: Women in Quizbowl Panel Discussion @ HSNCT Saturday Night

Post by Jasconius »

A more personal note: as a boy who is helping to organize this event, I want to see other men come to this event. Sophia was clear to me while we were planning this that there aren’t enough women currently playing quizbowl to change quizbowl without the help of male allies. Quizbowl needs more men to come to this discussion and focus on being better allies.
Matthew Siff
Yale University '25
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

I really want to be there, but this is unfortunately going to conflict with META and Imaginary Landscapes. Is it possible this could get recorded for those of us who can't be there and posted online later?
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
CaseyB
Wakka

Post by CaseyB »

I'm not saying recording the discussion isn't a good idea, but don't you think this is more important than whatever side events are being run that night?
Casey Bindas
PACE VP of Event Management
Michigan Tech 2016-18
VCU 2015-16
UCF 2011-15
Canton HS (MI) 2007-11
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I think that question is not a fair one. Those events have been announced some time previously and were the product of a lot of hard work of a variety of people. I think this panel will be excellent, but I also don't think people should be guilt-tripped into canceling existing plans to attend.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Who is going to be on the panel?
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
CaseyB
Wakka

Post by CaseyB »

In hindsight, I did ask a loaded question and I apologize.
Casey Bindas
PACE VP of Event Management
Michigan Tech 2016-18
VCU 2015-16
UCF 2011-15
Canton HS (MI) 2007-11
Jasconius
Lulu

Post by Jasconius »

1992 in spaceflight wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:02 am I really want to be there, but this is unfortunately going to conflict with META and Imaginary Landscapes. Is it possible this could get recorded for those of us who can't be there and posted online later?
We do plan to record this and post it online later. We know that there are a bunch of other side events being held Saturday night, but there was no way to schedule this without conflicting with something else, so we will record the panel for everybody who, for whatever reason, is unable to be there.
Matthew Siff
Yale University '25
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Curious Homunculus wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:52 pm
1992 in spaceflight wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:02 am I really want to be there, but this is unfortunately going to conflict with META and Imaginary Landscapes. Is it possible this could get recorded for those of us who can't be there and posted online later?
We do plan to record this and post it online later. We know that there are a bunch of other side events being held Saturday night, but there was no way to schedule this without conflicting with something else, so we will record the panel for everybody who, for whatever reason, is unable to be there.
Awesome, thanks so much!
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

CaseyB wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:13 pm I'm not saying recording the discussion isn't a good idea, but don't you think this is more important than whatever side events are being run that night?
I know you've apologized already, Casey, but I want to respond to this. A lot of people who would want to attend this (such as myself) have already made plans to attend/play side events, and I'm certainly really interested in hearing what comes out of the panel.
Jacob O'Rourke

Sophia44
Lulu

Post by Sophia44 »

Aaron's Rod wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:52 pm Who is going to be on the panel?
Our panelists are going to be Abby Cohen (Beavercreek HS '21, OH), Anna Muthalaly (Hoover HS '20, AL), Julia Tong (Darien HS '18, CT), Katherine Lei (Montgomery Blair HS '20, MD), Olivia Lamberti (Stevenson HS '19, IL), and Tora Husar (Wayzata HS '18, MN). I will be moderating the discussion (Sophia Weng, Montgomery Blair HS '20, MD)!
Sophia Weng
Montgomery Blair HS ‘20
jnelson
Kimahri

Post by jnelson »

It's awesome that you all have taken the initiative to put this together and I'm excited to attend.

I'm on the social media team for this weekend's tournament and would love to conduct a post interview with anyone on the panel who has a few minutes after this event- I really think it's important that we amplify this kind of content as much as we can.
Jeremy Nelson
Marist High School (IL) '05
Alcorn State University '09
University of Illinois '12
notchole
Lulu

Post by notchole »

Due to a last minute change of plans, I'll also be present! I'm so grateful to Sophia for organizing this event and letting me be a part of it on such short notice. Hope to see you all there.
Chloe Levine (she/her/hers)
PACE Member; Gender Equity Advocate

Harvard College Quiz Bowl, Class of 2022
Hunter College High School Quiz Bowl, Class of 2018 (2017–18 Captain)
HSNCT Runner-Up 2018; HSNCT Champion 2017; Player of the Year Nominee 2018
Head Editor of Prison Bowl XI; Vice Head Editor of Prison Bowl X
Sophia44
Lulu

Post by Sophia44 »

Thank you to everyone who came to the panel this weekend! Our panelists did a fantastic job, and we hope to have the discussion uploaded by the end of the week. We will be holding another women in Quizbowl event Saturday evening at PACE NSC this year, so if you missed the HSNCT discussion there is another chance to share your views! There is still plenty to cover, and we will likely continue our discussion in more of a forum setting as opposed to a panel. Thank you again, and look out for updates!
Sophia Weng
Montgomery Blair HS ‘20
tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

Sophia44 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:30 am Thank you to everyone who came to the panel this weekend! Our panelists did a fantastic job, and we hope to have the discussion uploaded by the end of the week. We will be holding another women in Quizbowl event Saturday evening at PACE NSC this year, so if you missed the HSNCT discussion there is another chance to share your views! There is still plenty to cover, and we will likely continue our discussion in more of a forum setting as opposed to a panel. Thank you again, and look out for updates!
Will anything like this be hosted at NASAT?
Aleija Rodriguez
University of Michigan 202x
MCMC/MCCC 2019
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

tksaleija wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:07 pm
Sophia44 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:30 am Thank you to everyone who came to the panel this weekend! Our panelists did a fantastic job, and we hope to have the discussion uploaded by the end of the week. We will be holding another women in Quizbowl event Saturday evening at PACE NSC this year, so if you missed the HSNCT discussion there is another chance to share your views! There is still plenty to cover, and we will likely continue our discussion in more of a forum setting as opposed to a panel. Thank you again, and look out for updates!
Will anything like this be hosted at NASAT?
IQBT will likely be unable to secure rooms for this.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
marianna
Rikku

Post by marianna »

Curious Homunculus wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:52 pm
I heard this event went really well - props again for organizing it! I was wondering if a recording was made, and if so, when we can expect for that recording to be made available? Unfortunately I was unable to attend HSNCT, but I would be excited to listen/watch a recording, if one was available.
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
Hunter '14 | Chicago '18 | Stanford '24
PACE
Sophia44
Lulu

Post by Sophia44 »

Sophia Weng
Montgomery Blair HS ‘20