Original Foreign Language Titles

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Original Foreign Language Titles

Post by Andrew from jc »

As the Title says should when writing questions and naming a work would it be better to use the original Title such as Les Demoiselles d'Avignon or would it be better to use the English Translation The Young Ladies of Avignon.
Andrew Salyer
Johnson Central '12
Auroni
Auron

Re: Original Foreign Language Titles

Post by Auroni »

List the more commonly used one as the main answer, and either the original foreign language title or the english translation as alternate answers. Using your example, you would write it as:

ANSWER: Les Demoiselles d'Avignon [or The Young Ladies of Avignon; accept equivalents for "young ladies"]

If you have a work better known by its English translation, you would write it as:

ANSWER: Silence [or Chinmoku]
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

If you were referring to using it as a clue (like, "in one of his works, 'Les Demoiselles d'Avignon,'") the same principle generally applies.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

This could vary depending on the question. If you are writing a tossup on France, you probably don't want to say "one author from this country wrote [a French title]".
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Morraine Man wrote:This could vary depending on the question. If you are writing a tossup on France, you probably don't want to say "one author from this country wrote [a French title]".
Here's a fun story intended as a word of warning about this approach. You also have to be careful translating things that are best known in a foreign language.

I wrote a tossup for Chris for the NSC that wasn't used (I don't think) on Athens. The question began by mentioning Athens's "New World" neighborhood, which is a center of Muslim immigration and also of some ethnic tension (there were riots in May 2009 after a police officer allegedly tore up a Qur'an). Of course, it isn't actually called the "New World" neighborhood; it's called "Neo Kosmos," which I translated because I thought it sounded too Greek.

About three days later, in practice, one of my teammates was reading a packet that he had written in his first-ever attempt at packet writing. Tossup 12 in his packet begins, "This city's New World district is now a seedy area." I buzzed in enthusiastically, said Athens, and lost five points. The problem is that he had been to the Shinsekai neighborhood in Osaka, realized that sounded too Japanese, and used its English translation.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

That is a good story.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Wackford Squeers
Wakka

Post by Wackford Squeers »

One approach I've seen is using the original language title of a work as an early clue, and its better known translation closer to the end.
Ben Chametzky
University of Chicago, 2016
Carbondale Community High School, 2012
IHSSBCA High School Liaison 2011-2012
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

Chametz wrote:One approach I've seen is using the original language title of a work as an early clue, and its better known translation closer to the end.
This is a terrible idea. You are privileging someone who speaks a language, but has not read a book, over someone who has read that particular book, but doesn't speak that language. Why should I beat someone to a tossup on a book I haven't read just because I speak better German?
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

Terrible Shorts Depot wrote:
Chametz wrote:One approach I've seen is using the original language title of a work as an early clue, and its better known translation closer to the end.
This is a terrible idea. You are privileging someone who speaks a language, but has not read a book, over someone who has read that particular book, but doesn't speak that language. Why should I beat someone to a tossup on a book I haven't read just because I speak better German?
Also, it seems like that approach is wasting valuable clue space that could be used with another plot clue for the work, a clue about another work, or just the title of another work.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17