KPAQT I: Long Island, March 19 2011

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
WSchneider
Lulu

KPAQT I: Long Island, March 19 2011

Post by WSchneider »

(Kings Park Annual Quizbowl Tournament) I

Kings Park will be hosting it’s first Quizbowl tournament on March 19th 2011 at Kings Park High School in Kings Park, Long Island, New York. Kings Park is located centrally on Long Island’s north shore, and is a convenient travel to any Long Island schools.

TOURNAMENT INFO:
**Date: March 19th 2011
**Location: Kings Park High School (200 Rt 25A/ East Main St, Kings Park, NY 11754)
**Time: Registration opens at 7am, first round starts at 9am. Breakfast will be served in the cafeteria at this time.
**Cost: $70 for the first team, $60 for each additional team. Discounts are offered for buzzer systems and moderators ($10 for each staffer, and $10 for each functioning buzzer system). WE NEED THESE!!! Please be kind =). We will also be selling the packets used for $15 each
**Rounds: The number of rounds will be based on how many teams are in attendance. We hope to run with 5 preliminary rounds, and complete everything before lunch. All teams could stay for the playoffs, however we decide to bracket them afterwards.
**Games: NAQT IS103A, according to NAQT rules, untimed.
**Teams: Teams per school is capped at 4, total teams for the tournament capped at 72. We don't expect to fill up, but we can definitely fill up with extra teams if necessary.

**PLAYOFF FORMAT: Our mailer had some false information on it, to those who got it. We are not only having 5 rounds. We are guaranteeing at least 5 to those schools who don't want to stay the whole afternoon. The playoffs will be after the necessary number of preliminary rounds, and will most likely be a swiss pair top 8 or 16 with the remaining teams in a round-robin style bracket.

**STATISTICS: Will be compiled in SQBS. If all goes according to plan, we should have preliminary stats up before the tournament ends, and playoff stats by the end of the day.

Question/Interest: For additional information please email Rob Celeste (Coach / TD) at [email protected] . To only express interest in the tournament, please respond to this thread or PM me.

Additional Information will come as the tournament approaches. All information is tentative at the moment. Email our coach and he’ll update everything for y’all when it gets closer.

EDIT (10-26): revision to some information
EDIT (1-24): addition of information
Attachments
KPAQT Registration Form.pdf
Registration Form
(134.61 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
Last edited by WSchneider on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 8 times in total.
William Schneider
Kings Park HS 2007-2011
RPI 2011-2014

[email protected]
WSchneider
Lulu

Re: KPAQT I: Long Island, March 19 2011

Post by WSchneider »

FIELD UPDATE: (As of Mar. 13th 2011)

North Babylon- 2 teams (2B)
Hills West- 2 teams (1B)
Farmingdale- 1 team
Mineola- 1 team (1B)
Plainedge- 3 teams
Great Neck North- 1 team
Friends Academy- 1 team (1B)
Locust Valley- 2 teams (1B)
St. Anthony's- 3 teams
Plainview- 1 team (1B)
Kellenberg(B)- 1 team (2B)(1M)
Hunter(C)- 1 team (1B)
Great Neck South- 4 teams (1B)
The Wheately School- 1 team (3M)
Team Tribeca- 1 team

***WE NEED MODERATORS!
***IF I MISSED YOU!!!: send me a private message, and double check that you submitted your registration form!

INTERESTED: (As in, they told me they'd look into it)
Last edited by WSchneider on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 17 times in total.
William Schneider
Kings Park HS 2007-2011
RPI 2011-2014

[email protected]
reflectia
Lulu

Post by reflectia »

Cheshire HS is also interested, but has to check on the date of the NE Regional Science Bowl, as well as the New England Music Festival, which both have traditionally been that weekend.
Audrey Zhang
Cheshire High School
Captain, 2009-Present
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

WSchneider wrote:**Games: NAQT IS104A, according to NAQT rules, untimed.
The set will be #103A. (#104 is a regular set, not an introductory set.)
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
WSchneider
Lulu

Post by WSchneider »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
WSchneider wrote:**Games: NAQT IS104A, according to NAQT rules, untimed.
The set will be #103A. (#104 is a regular set, not an introductory set.)
Nice catch, thanks. My mistake
William Schneider
Kings Park HS 2007-2011
RPI 2011-2014

[email protected]
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Kellenberg will not be able to attend because it conflicts with the NYS Science Olympiad Championships at West Point, presuming, of course, that we qualify for it.
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
eromano
Lulu

Post by eromano »

Half Hollow Hills West will bring 2 teams (possibly 3) and a buzzer system. Thanks!

Evan Romano
Jim Diver
Evan Romano
Half Hollow Hills High School West
WSchneider
Lulu

Post by WSchneider »

Bumping this thread with some updated information. Just a couple of questions for anybody frequenting this thread:

1) North Babylon HS, anybody who happens to be hovering about, due to midterms I wont be seeing our coach for a while and I don't remember how many teams you guys are bringing, it's not a big deal but I'll update it as soon as I find out if anybody remembers please

2) About our mailer. We thoroughly apologize, but our mailer had some very incorrect information on it. We are not using single elimination (or at least, we don't intend to as long as our field isn't gigantic). Our intention is to maximize play-time for everybody while allowing schools that don't wish to stay all afternoon the opportunity to go. We will probably swiss-pair the top 8, and rebracket everybody else by win-loss record, or something, we'll have to plan that out a little later...

3) We nixed the lunch idea... It just plain old didn't work out, so instead we'll have a list of restaurants prepared for all teams when they arrive

4) Does anybody have a program that brackets teams readily available? I spent the better part of the last month designing something along those lines, but if one already exists it would probably be better than the one I have

5) C'MON JOIN THE FUN!!! :grin:
William Schneider
Kings Park HS 2007-2011
RPI 2011-2014

[email protected]
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

Hunter C and/or D may be attending. I'll let you know when I find out.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I'll come staff if I'm not too jet-lagged (flight lands around 12:30 Saturday morning).

Edit: Plans have changed, and will be playing MUT at Az St. instead so will not be able to mod.
Last edited by Golran on Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
The Infanta
Wakka

Post by The Infanta »

I can mod as well.
Marisol Brady (they/them)
Kellenberg Memorial HS '09
University of Delaware '1X
JGargiulo
Lulu

Post by JGargiulo »

One month away, can't wait! :grin:
Joseph Gargiulo
Kings Park High School '13
Varsity Captain '12-'13
JV Captain '10-'12
PatrickPozzi
Kimahri

Post by PatrickPozzi »

Friends Academy will most likely attend with 1, possibly 2 teams.
Patrick Pozzi
Friends Academy '11
[email protected]
WSchneider
Lulu

Post by WSchneider »

Bumped since we're less than a month away,

Join the insanity! We'd be glad to have you!

Seriously folks come on in =D
William Schneider
Kings Park HS 2007-2011
RPI 2011-2014

[email protected]
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

Hunter is interested. We may send one team. I'll let you know after Prison Bowl.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
felix
Lulu

Post by felix »

Great Neck South would like to send 2-3 teams and 1 buzzer.
Ryan Zhang
Great Neck South High School
WSchneider
Lulu

Post by WSchneider »

UPDATE 3-8-11:

Field update is posted above! We're getting really excited and we're looking forward to next Saturday. Just a few notes:

@Great Neck South: My coach kindly requests that you submit a registration form (If you don't have one, I'll be posting an attachment here shortly), and once that's all taken care of we'd love to have you aboard!

@Hunter // Lily Chen: We'd love to have Hunter on board too, whoever would like to come. Just let me know =)

@Marisol Brady: Are you still interested in assisting moderating? We'd love the assistance!

@North Shore HS, and Livingston HS: I have you both listed as "interested" but we haven't heard anything back from you all yet... Any chance of having you for the 19th?

@FIELD: In the interest of offering as many games as possible, while also accounting for teams that cannot stay for the evening, we have prepared 1-2 house teams to make the bracket as ideal as possible. I just want to make that knowledge public so nobody sees anything they don't expect on the day of the tournament. That being said, it would be MUCH nicer to have more teams coming to fill those brackets ;)

11 days away!
William Schneider
Kings Park HS 2007-2011
RPI 2011-2014

[email protected]
WSchneider
Lulu

Post by WSchneider »

BUMPED Because we're a week away!!!

NOTE: You can register up until THURSDAY MARCH 17th at 6:00pm

Thank you =)
William Schneider
Kings Park HS 2007-2011
RPI 2011-2014

[email protected]
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

BroNi wrote:Kellenberg will not be able to attend because it conflicts with the NYS Science Olympiad Championships at West Point, presuming, of course, that we qualify for it.
OK, despite this, Kellenberg B (non-SO members) would like to attend this tourney. We will bring one team, 2 buzzers and 1 moderator.

Edit: # of moderators
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
huatzer shiangtsay
Lulu

Post by huatzer shiangtsay »

[Stuyvesant High School] ("Team Tribeca") is considering sending 1-2 teams, 0 buzzers, and probably 0 moderators. Will let you know very soon.
Bernard Stanford 薄南德
[Stuyvesant '13]
Team TriBeCa Captain

“O不OK?” (Is it alright?) is one of the most awesome sentences ever. It takes the Chinese word OK and puts it in the A-not-A question format, unabashedly treating the letter O as a verb, and the letter K as a resultative complement.
WSchneider
Lulu

Post by WSchneider »

@Team Tribeca: We'd love to have you on board. Just let us know as soon as you can so we can get everything together

@Brother Nigel: Thank you! We're glad to have Kellenberg with us!

@Field: We are hard-pressed for experienced moderators. We would really appreciate anyone who can read so very much. Thank you all! Looking forward to Saturday!
William Schneider
Kings Park HS 2007-2011
RPI 2011-2014

[email protected]
JGargiulo
Lulu

Post by JGargiulo »

Glad to have all of you aboard, we currently have a field of 26.

Remember, registration closes tomorrow (3/17) at 6pm, if more teams are interested feel free to register by e-mailing our coach at [email protected].

Thanks!
Joseph Gargiulo
Kings Park High School '13
Varsity Captain '12-'13
JV Captain '10-'12
WSchneider
Lulu

Post by WSchneider »

Notice to anyone who's still debating: Registration closes at 6:00pm SHARP. My coach and I are working out all the brackets and we can't facilitate any later registrations...

We've had a few drop-outs over the past few days, so anyone else who can't attend should definitely let us know ASAP. Notably we lost the Ross School, who's team is presently trapped in Japan. Everyone's okay, but they're just stuck there for now. I'm sure I speak on behalf of my team-mates when I wish them a safe trip home.

On that note I want to thank everyone for their support, and it looks as if Saturday's going to be a wonderful day.

I'll post updates as they develop
William Schneider
Kings Park HS 2007-2011
RPI 2011-2014

[email protected]
WSchneider
Lulu

Post by WSchneider »

Registration is now closed, and we've had one more drop out. McGann Mercy High School has also decided not to come. That brings us to 25 teams.
William Schneider
Kings Park HS 2007-2011
RPI 2011-2014

[email protected]
WSchneider
Lulu

Post by WSchneider »

One more team has dropped out, Plainedge C won't be joining us tomorrow morning. This leaves us with the glorious number 24!!! All teams have been bracketted fairly (At least, what we think is fair) based on school consistency and current year performance. We look forward to seeing everybody bright and early tomorrow!

All coaches should have received an email from Rob Celeste, our coach, with the general schedule and instructions. Check in will begin at 7:00 am in the lobby (basically as long as you show up after we do, you're good), and we hope to have everybody here before 8:15.

At 8:15 we will ask all of our scorekeepers and moderators to report to the library (directions will be given to you) for a quick meeting and rules-check. When that is completed (hopefully by around 8:40) we will ask all teams to join us in the auditorium for a few brief announcements, and then we want to start all rounds PROMPTLY at 9am.

We will have 5 preliminary rounds (We are 100% certain of that at this point), all before lunch. We hope to break for lunch at around 12:30-1, and get playoffs rolling at 2pm. A NOTE ON LUNCH: Due to a certain lack of fast food in our immediate area, we will be selling pizza, soda, and snacks during the lunch hour. Any schools that wish to try their luck on lunch are more than welcome to, we just wish you make it prompt so we can stay on schedule. Pizzas will cost $12 for a large pie. We will also be selling soda and snacks throughout the day for $1 each.

We will either SWISS PAIR or ROUND ROBIN the top 8 to decide placement. We haven't decided yet because we don't know which would be the fairest/funnest way to get your games in. We will NOT be using single elimination. Anybody who has a particular preference is more than welcome to share input, we just want everybody to enjoy themselves.

Any teams that don't wish to leave (or can't in some cases) after the preliminary round are more then welcome to sign up for a consolation bracket. Consolation questions will be the same as the other teams are competing on. Since we will have 3 playoff games, we will also have 3 consolation games. We will decide on how to bracket as necessary.

Trophies will be awarded to all of the top 8 playoff participants!

AND A FINAL DRUMROLL FOR OUR BRACKET NAMES!!!!:

We have the Red Bull Division, the Monster Division, the Vault Division, and the Full Throttle Division!
William Schneider
Kings Park HS 2007-2011
RPI 2011-2014

[email protected]
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

How are you having 8 teams re-bracket for a championship and have 3 rounds? Is it two separate brackets and RR inside them? If you're doing it this way, a team is eliminated from the top 4 (and thus HSNCT qualification) with just one loss in the morning, so if your bracketing is in any way imperfect (3rd and 4th best in same bracket or similar) you'll eliminate a deserving team with just one morning loss. I'd suggest instead re bracketing 1A,1B,2C,2D in one bracket, and 1C,1D,2A,2B in another, and then having a crossover game to determine positioning after these 3 rounds. This way, the only way a team can be eliminated from HSNCT with 1 loss is through a circle of death situation in the playoff RR (can play it off with half-packets), which, while not ideal, is better because it helps correct for surprises that arise out of the bracketing. While this plan adds 1 round, ideally (given unlimited time and attention span) it would be nice to do a 5+6 RR where you play every other team in the top 8 with the game against your other bracket member carrying over for final standings. Best of luck!
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
PatrickPozzi
Kimahri

Post by PatrickPozzi »

a team can play with only two people right? just about everyone in my school's quizbowl program is busy tomorrow, so me and my teammate are just be going for fun. if we need 3-4 we'd just bring two extra people and let them sit there.

edit: thank you mr pond. that was my sense too. I (/my coach) just wanted to clarify.
Last edited by PatrickPozzi on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick Pozzi
Friends Academy '11
[email protected]
Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill
Rikku

Post by Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill »

NAQT rules say you can play with as few as one person, so yes.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
University of Victoria '18
Anonymous wrote:naqt is much worse than plagiarism could ever hope to be
WSchneider
Lulu

Post by WSchneider »

PatrickPozzi wrote:a team can play with only two people right? just about everyone in my school's quizbowl program is busy tomorrow, so me and my teammate are just be going for fun. if we need 3-4 we'd just bring two extra people and let them sit there.

edit: thank you mr pond. that was my sense too. I (/my coach) just wanted to clarify.

That should be fine, no worries
William Schneider
Kings Park HS 2007-2011
RPI 2011-2014

[email protected]
WSchneider
Lulu

Post by WSchneider »

ANY PROBLEMS IN THE MORNING HOURS:

Please call my coach, who's number was sent to you in your email, or call me

[EDIT: Removed number]
Last edited by WSchneider on Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
William Schneider
Kings Park HS 2007-2011
RPI 2011-2014

[email protected]
WSchneider
Lulu

Post by WSchneider »

Golran wrote:How are you having 8 teams re-bracket for a championship and have 3 rounds? Is it two separate brackets and RR inside them? If you're doing it this way, a team is eliminated from the top 4 (and thus HSNCT qualification) with just one loss in the morning, so if your bracketing is in any way imperfect (3rd and 4th best in same bracket or similar) you'll eliminate a deserving team with just one morning loss. I'd suggest instead re bracketing 1A,1B,2C,2D in one bracket, and 1C,1D,2A,2B in another, and then having a crossover game to determine positioning after these 3 rounds. This way, the only way a team can be eliminated from HSNCT with 1 loss is through a circle of death situation in the playoff RR (can play it off with half-packets), which, while not ideal, is better because it helps correct for surprises that arise out of the bracketing. While this plan adds 1 round, ideally (given unlimited time and attention span) it would be nice to do a 5+6 RR where you play every other team in the top 8 with the game against your other bracket member carrying over for final standings. Best of luck!
That's a good idea, and its duly noted.

A swiss pair would also prevent such a situation (Now, Granted, our trophies don't match the rankings on a swiss pair, but is that really important?)
William Schneider
Kings Park HS 2007-2011
RPI 2011-2014

[email protected]
WSchneider
Lulu

Post by WSchneider »

I want to thank everybody for attending KPAQT I today, I have a few things I want to share with everybody:

- I know I said Stats would be posted today, I am wrong. Unfortunately, the stat room was closed before I got the chance to copy the report onto my flash drive to bring it home and post it, so I'll snab it on Monday. I shouldn't be any later than that

- I want to give a huge thank you to our wonderful custodial staff at KPHS who helped TREMENDOUSLY in setting up and breaking down rooms.

- I want to give another HUGE thank you to Marisol Brady, who selflessly volunteered both her parents and her brother to moderate and keep score. I speak on behalf of every party involved when I say that we really appreciate the HUGE help you were in helping things run smoothly

- I want to thank everyone for their patience as we bracketed the playoffs and consolation. I know the swiss pair was confusing, and the fact that it ran perfectly was a testament to your patience.

- I want to offer a MAJOR apology to the Wheatley School and Farmingdale, both of whom wished to stay for the consolation, but were excluded from the bracket due to some errors that were entirely my fault. I offer my sincerest apology and hope this won't stop you from coming back next year. I promise that next year we will remedy the situation so that we don't have to exclude any teams from games they want to play.

- I want to offer a special nod to our stats gurus, Joe Gargiulo, Eric Parigoris, and Rob Pond. This being our first tournament, we had some very inexperienced moderators and scorekeepers working rooms, and the fact that they were able to put together solid stats is just a testament to their awesomeness. (NOTE: You'll have to take my word for it, I'll post the stats on Monday =/)

- I want to offer another small apology to the teams who played today about our inexperienced moderators. It seemed to me that everything went pretty much according to schedule, and it seemed as well that there were no major protests (That weren't soundly resolved, anyway) about the moderators. For many (most) of our moderators this was their first time dealing with quizbowl at all, so I want to thank everyone again for being so patient with them and helping them resolve the issues that arose. Anybody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think for the most part everything ran pretty smoothly.

- If you have any questions, issues, CONSTRUCTIVE criticisms, or pieces of friendly advice, feel free to email me ([email protected]) or my coach ([email protected]), and we'd be glad to talk to you about it.

THE WRITE UP WILL FOLLOW IN THE NEXT POST
William Schneider
Kings Park HS 2007-2011
RPI 2011-2014

[email protected]
Arthur.Ramsay
Lulu

Post by Arthur.Ramsay »

Will,

Thank you for hosting such a fantastic tournament. Even though my team (Hills West B) didn't do so well, Hills West A qualified for Atlanta, so they are VERY happy. We all had a great time, and I (along with Andy, Alex, Caitlin, Abby, James, and our newest member Elana) will see you in Washington for the History Bowl & Bee in April.

Yours Truly,
Arthur Ramsay
Arthur W. Ramsay
Member, PACE
Half Hollow Hills West '14, SUNY Empire State '17
I have never been Cal's Smartest Student nor have I won Teen Jeopardy!
WSchneider
Lulu

Post by WSchneider »

KPAQT I Writeup:

At our very first hosted quizbowl tournament we had 24 wonderful teams show up, from 15 schools across Long Island and New York City. We had many players who have never played quiz bowl of this kind before, blended with many students who have. All in all we had over 100 players participating.

After 5 preliminary rounds, Our top 8, in seeded order, were:

1. Great Neck South A
2. Great Neck South B
3. Hills West A
4. Plainview A
5. Team Tribeca
6. North Babylon A
7. Hunter C
8. Great Neck North A

We decided, since we had one bracket where there were 2 teams with ppg over 400, and one where nobody even hit 300, that the fairest thing to do, while preserving our initial 8 game schedule would be a swiss pair (A decision we may modify or discontinue next year). Incredibly, after the first round, every top seed team was upset by its contender. This literally reversed the seeding for the remainder of the playoffs. This means that our champion would have a record of 7 wins and 1 loss.

Moving into the final match, our seeding was as follows:

1. Team Tribeca A
2. Hunter C
3. North Babylon A
4. Great Neck North A
5. Great Neck South A
6. Hills West A
7. Great Neck South B
8. Plainview A

The final matches went as follows:

Great Neck South B defeated Plainview A (7/8)
Hills West defeated Great Neck North (6/4)(upset)
Great Neck South A defeated North Babylon A (5/3)(upset)

And in the finals, a game which I moderated, Team Tribeca (seed 1) triumphed over Hunter C (seed 2) 290-255. Both teams performed quite well, and I want to congratulate Team Tribeca (Stuy) on their win in the first KPAQT!

FINAL PLACEMENTS: (total)(playoffs)
1st: Team Tribeca (7-1)(3-0)
2nd: Hunter C (6-2)(2-1)
3rd(tie): Great Neck South A (7-1)(2-1), Hills West (7-1)(2-1)
5th(tie): North Babylon A (5-3)(1-2), Great Neck North (5-3)(1-2), Great Neck South B (6-2)(1-2)
8th: Plainview (5-3)(0-3)

THANKS AGAIN EVERYBODY! STATS TOMORROW!
William Schneider
Kings Park HS 2007-2011
RPI 2011-2014

[email protected]
WSchneider
Lulu

Post by WSchneider »

William Schneider
Kings Park HS 2007-2011