BOAT III - 4/30/2011 - Hackensack NJ

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jonpin
Auron

BOAT III - 4/30/2011 - Hackensack NJ

Post by jonpin »

Bergen County Academies Quiz Bowl is proud to announce the third annual Bergen Open Academic Tournament will be held April 30, 2011. This set will be contributed by VCU/Vanderbilt in standard tossup-bonus format. More details and field updates below.
Last edited by jonpin on Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
bertolini
Kimahri

Re: BOAT III - 4/30/2011 - Hackensack NJ

Post by bertolini »

Jon,

Please include Leonia in your mailing. We travel to many parts of the state ot compete. It would be nice to comepte so clsoe to our school.

You can reach me at bertolini@leoniaschools. org

Thanks,

Ed Bertolini
Leonia High School
Ed Bertolini
Leonia HS
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

We are proud to announce our third annual Bergen Open Academic Tournament, or BOAT, to be held April 30, 2011. We will be using questions written by the college quiz bowl teams at Vanderbilt and VCU for their own high school tournaments. The format is tossup/bonus and the difficulty level should be similar to that at the events earlier this season at Kellenberg, Bloomfield, and Livingston, as well as our fall tournament, Samhain.

The registration fee is $70 for a school's first team, and $60 for each additional team. Discounts are 10 dollars off for moderators (no limit) or buzzers (up to 3 per school). Breakfast will be provided, and all teams that stay through the tournament's conclusion will receive the opportunity to play at least 8 games.

Interested teams should see the attached registration form. You may register by postal mail or email*, but please no later than Thursday April 21. Note that the week leading up to Easter is our school's April break, so email contact is highly preferred during that week.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask, and we will be delighted to answer them. We look forward to seeing you on April 30!

Current field limit is ~24 until we're sure we have staff to support a larger event.

Field update
St Joseph: 2
Kings Park: 2
Hunter: 4
Indian Hills: 1
Kellenberg: 1-2
Stuyvesant: 1-2
House teams: maybe 1-2

Format
I need to check with George Berry how many packets are available, but if we wind up around 12 teams, what we'll do is probably 2 groups of 6, 5 games, then split into top and bottom playoff brackets either for a new 5-game round-robin, or for a 3-game crossover playoff, followed by advantage finals. If we get to 14 or 16, it'd be a similar thing, still with two preliminary groups, but definitely crossover playoffs.

*-My email is my last name at gmail.
Attachments
BOAT III Registration.pdf
(185.6 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
Last edited by jonpin on Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)

Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Saint Joe's will be there with 2-3 teams, 2 buzzers and 1 moderator.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
huatzer shiangtsay
Lulu

Post by huatzer shiangtsay »

"Team Tribeca" (Stuyvesant) is interested. We'll get back to this later.
Bernard Stanford 薄南德
[Stuyvesant '13]
Team TriBeCa Captain

“O不OK?” (Is it alright?) is one of the most awesome sentences ever. It takes the Chinese word OK and puts it in the A-not-A question format, unabashedly treating the letter O as a verb, and the letter K as a resultative complement.
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Bumped for a a field update.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

We're still at only a few schools that have registered. It's enough teams that we'd still run the tournament, but more registrations would be awesome.
Jon Pinyan

WSchneider
Lulu

Post by WSchneider »

jonpin wrote: St Joseph: 2-3
Kings Park: 2
Hunter: 5 (!)

*-My email is my last name at gmail.

Oh crap. This should be interesting.

NOTE: thats not to suggest that we (I) dislike Hunter, just that we concede that we're going to have our behinds handed to us =)
William Schneider
Kings Park HS 2007-2011
RPI 2011-2014

[email protected]
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

Sorry to disappoint, but we'll most likely have only 4 teams. (We currently have 17 players.) If having 5 Hunter teams makes it any easier for scheduling purposes, let us know and we can still bring 5. Also, for bracketing purposes, 3/4 of Hunter A will not be in attendance.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

St. Joe's will only have 2 teams, with 1 buzzer & 1 moderator.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
huatzer shiangtsay
Lulu

Post by huatzer shiangtsay »

Stuyvesant will send 1-2 teams.
Bernard Stanford 薄南德
[Stuyvesant '13]
Team TriBeCa Captain

“O不OK?” (Is it alright?) is one of the most awesome sentences ever. It takes the Chinese word OK and puts it in the A-not-A question format, unabashedly treating the letter O as a verb, and the letter K as a resultative complement.
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Kellenberg may have 1 or 2 teams.
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
WSchneider
Lulu

Post by WSchneider »

For Bracketing purposes, Kings Park will be missing half of it's A team. If it makes bracketing any easier/better, we can possibly split up into 3 teams.
William Schneider
Kings Park HS 2007-2011
RPI 2011-2014

[email protected]
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

FIELD CLOSED. Unless I have an email from Stuyvesant by the time I get to school, the final field is:
St Joseph x2
Kellenberg x2
Hunter x4
Kings' Park x2
Indian Hills
House team

We'll run two groups of six, then split for playoffs 3/3 for a new round-robin and advantage final. Full informational email going out tomorrow, but try to arrive by around 8am.
Jon Pinyan

jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Quick results:

Hunter B won, clearing the field at 5-0 in the top bracket. Kellenberg A and St. Joseph A were 3-2 and after an interesting/amusing foul-up by me, an agreement was made to give Kellenberg the second place trophy. Alex of SJ was top scorer at 102-ish PPG.
Jon Pinyan

WSchneider
Lulu

Post by WSchneider »

A wonderful tournament by all means; everything ran smoothly, efficiently, and cleanly. It was a wonderful opportunity to play against a (mostly) competitive field, and I know for some of our new team members it was a great learning experience. KPA was down 2 starters and was still able to handle most of the questions (I mean, within reason anyway). By and far well run and organized.

I do have a few criticisms but they have nothing to do whatsoever with coach Pinyan, or any of his team from BCA who did an amazing job hosting this tournament. They are aimed more at VCU/Vanderbilt, and they're not really that bad... I found the content difficulty to be rather uniform among tossups, but the bonuses lacked a little bit... The difference between difficulty led a good number of bonuses to go dead, where right after that one there would be a markedly easier bonus (Wherein, the intro would either contain or not contain a give-away clue to the answers).

Also I found the packet to be very Lit/Humanities heavy... That might just be me though; I felt a lack of history and a heavy lean on Literature (that I should have been able to get, anyway, I'm just commenting on the odd distribution), but that could be coming from the lack of math....

And even despite those criticisms I thought the packet was well-written, and was fun to play on... All in all I enjoyed this
William Schneider
Kings Park HS 2007-2011
RPI 2011-2014

[email protected]
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Jon,

Any chance stats will be posted soon?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

I've had somewhat of an interesting weekend. The prelim stats were entered in real-time by our statistician, and I will upload those very shortly, but I will need to enter the playoff stats myself; that will hopefully happen tomorrow, but no guarantees. The "tiebreaker" will be disregarded as it broke a non-existing tie.
Jon Pinyan

Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

I almost forgot: Congratulations to Hunter B for its excellent performance throughout the day. It went 5-0 in the playoffs, clearing the field, and finished 10-0 for the day, defeating some gifted teams along the way. And once the stats are posted, my guess is that they will confirm the excellence of this B team, possibly the best we have seen this season, certainly comparable to the LASA B & TJ B teams we faced at Harvard in the fall, and no doubt all 3 of these B teams will make some noise at nationals. And although the Hunter A team in attendance was not its real A team, it too was also very competitive, revealing Hunter's impressive overall depth. Congrats also to an excellent Kellenberg team that handed my A squad its worst thrashing of the season and took a well-earned 2nd place. Finally, thanks to Jon Pinyan, as well as to the student directors of BOAT, Stephanie, Joe and Josh, as well as all of the other BCA students, for an excellent day of competition. As always, it was well run and enjoyable.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Thanks to those who came out to Hackensack for our third annual BOAT! For the third straight year, Hunter has won the competition, this time with their B team clearing the field at 5-0 in the championship round-robin. Second place went to Kellenberg at 3-2 in the playoffs, tied with St. Joseph but awarded the trophy based on points in the playoffs (Note: Hunter-A was actually 2-3 in the playoffs and thus should not have been in the tiebreakers for the trophy that started to occur; the error was mine).

Here are links for the complete results of the tournament:
Preliminaries (before lunch): http://results.scobo.net/BergenCountyAcademies/BOAT3pre
Playoffs (after lunch): http://results.scobo.net/BergenCountyAc ... AT3playoff
Overall (all ten rounds): http://results.scobo.net/BergenCountyAc ... BOAT3total

Congratulations to Alex Frey of St. Joseph who won the individual title with 104 PPG in the prelims. I'd also like to congratulate Indian Hills, who in their first buzzer-based competition swept through the consolation group after lunch. We hope they will be able to return to future competitions at BCA and elsewhere in North Jersey.

Most teams received a copy of the tournament questions, including the unused packets slated for finals, but for any who did not, they are available here: http://quizbowlpackets.com/archive/vcubilt/ through the Quiz Bowl Packets Database maintained by George Berry of Virginia Commonwealth, who along with his teammates and the team at Vanderbilt wrote this tournament.

On behalf of my student tournament directors, I hope you had a wonderful day at BOAT III and will return for BOAT IV and any tournament we may host in the fall. If you have any questions, comments, or stats corrections, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Jon Pinyan