WVWC's Bobcat Bowl 3 Announcement - 10/23/04

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AKKOLADE
Sin

WVWC's Bobcat Bowl 3 Announcement - 10/23/04

Post by AKKOLADE »

The West Virginia Wesleyan College Academic Team is pleased to announce our hosting the third installment of our 6th-9th grade tournament, the Bobcat Bowl 3 (subtitled "As biology proves, grabbing a leaf allows you to sprout a tail") on October 23rd, 2004. Teams from any area are invited to compete in this event.

The entry cost is a flat rate of $20 per team if your school has not competed in a tournament in the past calendar year, and $25 per team if your school has competed in the past calendar year. The match format will consist of 10 toss-ups, a 15 question alphabetical worksheet, and 10 more toss-ups. Each team can consist of a maximum of six players: five starters and a substitute.

At this point of time, I am unsure of the number of preliminary matches each team will play, but I will guarantee that each squad will get to play a minimum number of four games. If I am able to recruit enough moderators and judges, I will bump that number as high as I can. For the playoffs, the top half of the field will qualify for a single elimination tournament, with seeding determined by either points per game (if teams only play four or five games) or win-loss record (if the number of games played per team exceeds five).

Other pertinent information:

* Team check-in on the day of the tournament will be held from 8:30 to 9:00 a.m. At 9 a.m., a short introductory meeting will be held to review any last minute schedule changes and address any last-minute questions from the teams. Matches are expected to start between 9:15 and 9:30. Also, if all goes well, there will be free donuts, coffee, milk and juice available during the check-in time period.

* We will be selling lunch around the same time that the preliminary rounds are completed - you can expect both cheese and pepperoni pizzas to be available, along with assorted varities of sodas. However, as this is a free country, you are more than welcome to eat lunch elsewhere; there is a small restaurant on campus, along with our cafeteria (though I would strongly advise against eating there), and there are many independent restaurants in the area. If you wish, we can send you a list of hotels and/or eating establishments in the area for your own personal use.

If you wish to fill out a registration form and send it in via the USPS, go to the following link, which you can then print out, fill in and send to me: http://www.geocities.com/wvwcquizbowl/register2.htm

If you wish to fill out a registration form and send it in online, go to the following link, complete all the information and submit it with the button at the bottom of the form: http://www.geocities.com/wvwcquizbowl/register.html

With registration, we reserve the right to set a cap on the number of teams that can compete; if that cap is exceeded, then any extra teams will be placed on a wait-list and will be notified if a spot opens up for them to compete. While the exact number of this cap is currently unknown, it will be announced once we determine how many teams we can host.

A final note on paying - if you are at all able to, please make your check out to Fred Morlan. If the check is made out to West Virginia Wesleyan, there is a large amount of red tape that I have to go through to get the money out of the check. So, if due to your school's requirements, you have to make your check payable, please let me know ahead of time so I can make preparations to deal with this issue.

I believe that that is all the information that truly matters at this point in time; if I have left something unanswered that you feel you need to know about, please e-mail me ( [email protected] or [email protected] ) or reply to this post.

Best wishes,

Fred Morlan
Tournament Director/VP of Hosting, WVWC Academic Team
MSC #1558
West Virginia Wesleyan College
59 College Avenue
Buckhannon, WV 26201
Last edited by AKKOLADE on Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Check below for updated field.
Last edited by AKKOLADE on Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Updated Field:
Blennerhassett A (Parkersburg, WV)
Bridgeport A* (Bridgeport, WV)
Bridgeport B* (Bridgeport, WV)
Charleston Catholic A* (Charleston, WV)
Charleston Catholic B* (Charleston, WV)
duPont Manual A* (Louisville, KY)
duPont Manual B* (Louisville, KY)
Hamilton A (Parkersburg, WV)*
Hamilton B (Parkersburg, WV)*
McKinley (St. Albans, WV)*
Pickens (Pickens, WV)*
Pleasants County A (Belmont, WV)*
Pleasants County B (Belmont, WV)*
Ripley (Ripley, WV)
South Preston A (Tunnelton, WV)*
South Preston B (Tunnelton, WV)*
Tygarts Valley A (Mill Creek, WV)*
Tygarts Valley B (Mill Creek, WV)*
Van Devender A (Parkersburg, WV)*
Van Devender B (Parkersburg, WV)*

Schools that may be sending teams:

Elkins
Jackson
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Congratulations to duPont Manual B, this year's Bobcat Bowl champion and the championship squad for a second straight year. Second went to duPont Manual A, once again for the second straight year. Pleasants County A took third (first time competitors at WVWC) and Bridgeport A took fourth.

More detailed stats will be posted within the next few days.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Full preliminary stats can be found at http://www.geocities.com/wvwcquizbowl/b ... dings.html

The top 12 teams as determined by win-loss qualified for the playoffs, with the top four teams receiving byes into the quarterfinals. Playoff results were:

First round:
#5 Ripley over #12 Hamilton A, 215-100
#6 Charleston Catholic A over #11 Bridgeport C, 180-150
#7 Bridgeport B over #10 Pickens, 170-50
#8 Blennerhassett over #9 Van Devender A, 195-130

Quarterfinals
#1 duPont Manual B over #8 Blennerhassett, 220-185
#2 duPont Manual A over #7 Bridgeport B, 255-155
#3 Bridgeport A over #6 Charleston Catholic A, 205-75
#4 Pleasants County A over #5 Ripley, 225-110

Semifinals
#1 duPont Manual B over #4 Pleasants County A, 250-190
#2 duPont Manual A over #3 Bridgeport A, 260-195

Third place game:
#4 Pleasants County A over #3 Bridgeport A, 130-100

Championship match:
#1 duPont Manual B over #2 duPont Manual A, 235-160

Congratulations to duPont Manual for claiming first and second places for the second striaght year. I'd also like to thank all the other teams for coming out and participating - I hope everyone had a good time and we hope you decide to come back in the future.