Illinois 04-05

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Here's the 411 that I feel that I can release at this time:

---Moderator certification will likely soon rock out of the ice, though it will be a slow go at first......I think ultimately it will pay dividends for those parts of the state which can generate enough interest,and enough moderators to sustain critical mass. I don't think anything more should be said at this point in time.

---Aside from that, there were several proposals that were presented, some approved, some voted down. At this time, we enter into the "limbo" stage, since all of these proposals need to be voted on by the Supreme Board of Directors in the next month or so....I think we should wait until that vote is taken.

---There was a rule that was clarified for the future.....from now on, for bonus questions, the "delay" is three seconds, per part.....so if a moderator counts three seconds of cummulative stalling on part 1 of a bonus, they should begin asking for part 2, not count them out of the remaining bonus part. Personally, I was against it, but I had no vote.
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Tegan wrote:---There was a rule that was clarified for the future.....from now on, for bonus questions, the "delay" is three seconds, per part.....so if a moderator counts three seconds of cummulative stalling on part 1 of a bonus, they should begin asking for part 2, not count them out of the remaining bonus part. Personally, I was against it, but I had no vote.
So, Superintendent Egan, what you're saying here is that if a captain should so desire, he could theoretically add an extra Eleven (make it eleven so he has a comfortable answering threshold) seconds (plus what ever time it takes for the moderator to say "part 2?", "part 3?","part 4?", ) on to his 30, for say, a tough computational bonus. If he knew he could get one part, why not make it part four? Then he'd have 41+ seconds to do it. Or was there a stipulation that forbids "obvious" stalling?
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I agree with the three seconds per part. What was forgotten is that the opposing captain can be helped in two ways by this (one which I have done myself, and this mostly applies for comp math): Say the captain of the team with control uses the three seconds. The opposing captain can be mentally figuring the other answers with that time. Now, say the exact opposite happens and the team with control calls time immediately. In one case, I was the opposing captain and it was a bonus on going from base 10 to base 6. I had part one written and had the base 10 numerals for the other three written. I went ahead and answered part 1, took three seconds to answer each of the other three, and swept it. This neutralizes situations where the team with control wants to kill it.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

DaGeneral: I think you mean Masonic; I have never moderated for the IHSA State Tournament.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

DaGeneral wrote:This neutralizes situations where the team with control wants to kill it.
This is part of the reason why I was against it....this now gives the rebounding team (ie, the team not in control) a significant advantage....especially when you have a math stud(ette), and it is a math bonus. Giving substantially more time (conservatively, as much as 15 extra seconds on a five part bonus, but with most moderators this will balloon enormously), the math stud(ette) can metnally get the answers without violating a single rule, while the other team trips over itself. In otherwords, if you are in control, stalling can be lethal!

Moderators will need to be twice as careful about not allowing players to continue work after time is called.....my opinion is that it gives too much of an advantage to weaker teams or teams that are "one person wrecking crews". My feeling is: you've got 30 seconds to work, when time is up, answer or don't!

But......my opinion was not requested, and I did not have a voice in the matter.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I'm sorry Riley, my memory must be fuzzy. As for Egan's point, the team that has control should not benefit 100% if they do not know something the other team does. If an opponent is beating me to the math, and my team is in control of a math bonus, if I think i can get three parts by using the "normal" 30 seconds, I will. If not, I get what I can immediately and kill it.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

I didn't have a vote either, but I agree with the vote. If it went the other way, there is no way that the rule would be uniformly enforced by moderators. A strict moderator who enforced the rule correctly would be asking for an argument. And when the team got called on it was in another match with another moderator who wasn't as strict, that would be the start of another argument. In addition to arguments over how strict a moderator should be, there would be arguments as to whether "The answer seems to be" and other such things are considered pauses. The current rule is easier for moderators and thus, in the long run, better for everybody.

Most of the changes discussed at the meeting have to do with making things easier for coaches. All of the people on this board already have coaches who are well-informed (or are coaches who are well-informed) and are in well-run Regionals and Sectionals. For better or worse, you should not expect huge changes for next year. Expect things to get a little bit better.
biggreen
Lulu

Post by biggreen »

Well, down here in New Orleans... the 2005 NAQT ICT has been quite a reunion of past Illinoisians. I talked to Kelly Tourdot (Stillman Valley), Paul Gauthier (Wheaton North), and Max Parrish (Rockford Auburn) today. Yogesh Raut (IMSA) is here as well with Stanford, and was one of the leading scorers in Div I after the first several rounds. I also saw Perry Abbasi (I don't remember...) with the UChicago team. So next time anyone from other states downplays the quality of Illinois quizbowl, let them know we're doing all right.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Abbasi graduated from Fenwick two or three years ago. Like the others you mention, he was good.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

biggreen wrote:So next time anyone from other states downplays the quality of Illinois quizbowl, let them know we're doing all right.
So which teams from Illinois will be attending nationals to prove your worth at a high school level. You all have no excuse considering there will be two nationals held in your precious state (well, three if you count :chip: ).
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

New Trier will be at NAQT.
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

biggreen, where's Paul Gauthier at? I remember hearing that of the 4 seniors that made up the 94-1 WN team, he was at the supposed 'worst' college of the 4...Something like the other three are at MIT, Harvard, or Yale...I think I heard Vanderbilt for Paul.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Wheaton North will also be at NAQT. Stevenson is considering it, though it will mean missing graduation. Auburn probably will go somewhere.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

bigtrain wrote:
biggreen wrote:So next time anyone from other states downplays the quality of Illinois quizbowl, let them know we're doing all right.
So which teams from Illinois will be attending nationals to prove your worth at a high school level. You all have no excuse considering there will be two nationals held in your precious state (well, three if you count :chip: ).

This is the third or fourth time someone from Maryland has been trying to call out Illinois teams (and no, I will not apologize for any one Illinois person trash talking the other states, that's just as wrong). I think the moderators of this website have been asking people to stop that.

The fact is, and I cannot speak for other states, but the two nationals coming to Chicago coincide with a lot of graduation weekends here. In my team's case, and we're far from being a top national contender, we would have to give up prom and graduation. I refused to make it an option for my team, because even if we were a top national contender, I think going to prom and graduation are more important. That's not just a coach making a decision, that's an educator making a decision about what is best, in my opinion, for my players.

So when you say "Illinois teams have no excuse".....that's speaking without knowing the facts. The truth is very few Illinois teams will be there (not none, a few)....if nationals occured a little later in the month, there would likely be a few more. Just because you think this is important does not make your opinion more correct. It is, an opinion..... one shared by many...but not by all. This does not even include the fact that even without travel, attendance is very expensive. I am fortunate to teach in a fairly affluent area, and when I was thinking about attending, I couldn't see spending that kind of money. If you guys can get the money, I salute you for being able to raise the dough, and you should consider yourselves lucky. Not everyone is so fortunate, but that doesn't make them less of a team.

The additional fact is, unlike more of the top east coast teams that make it a priority, nationals here have long been a lower priority. A lot of player and coaches do not see it as the be all and end all to have to go to a national tournament...not because they're scared of losing, but because they see little reason. I've said it once, and I'll say it again: The best teams in Illinois are comprable to the better teams in other states...I'm not saying #1, #2, #3 or #4....I'm saying in the upper half. I can say this based on some experience of seeing top teams from other states east of here.....some are one (wo)man armies, and some are truly great teams, but they are truly deserving of being considered the best.....but please stop this harassment of "calling out" other states, when hardly anyone has responded to the 2 or three previous postings on the subject.

And I repeat again, if anyone else from Illinios is guilty of it, then let the shoe fall on that too. The trash talking is a bit jeuvenille.
biggreen
Lulu

Post by biggreen »

Gauthier is at Vanderbilt.
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

styxman wrote:biggreen, where's Paul Gauthier at? I remember hearing that of the 4 seniors that made up the 94-1 WN team, he was at the supposed 'worst' college of the 4...Something like the other three are at MIT, Harvard, or Yale...I think I heard Vanderbilt for Paul.
Ha ha, I like that 'worst' comment. But yeah, Paul has done quite well for us...led us in scoring at the first few tournaments this semester, and finished close behind me at ACF regionals and nationals and this weekend at ICT (in Div I). We also managed to beat Harvard this weekend, though they did finish ahead of us, as did Yale I believe.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Anyways, back to bigtrain's idiotic and futile attempt to downplay the greatness of Illinois quizbowl...

bigtrain, since your team has the cake to afford national tournaments, why not come around here for a tournament or two during the year. you could leave thursday night, explore chicago friday, and go to a tourney saturday. maybe then you might either prove yourself right (which i doubt would happen) or you will realize that we have teams that can hang with the upper crust from other states.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

As a reminder: Friendly rivalry that motivates improvement is a productive and fun part of the game, personal attacks are not. With that in mind, carry on.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

DaGeneral wrote:Anyways, back to bigtrain's idiotic and futile attempt to downplay the greatness of Illinois quizbowl...
How exactly is he doing this? I am inclined to agree with him in that you shouldn't keep living in your Illinoisian ivory tower, and I was surprised and pleased to see New Trier at PACE last year. The more teams that go to nationals, the better, and with 2 major nationals in your backyard this year, you don't have much of an excuse not to attend, save funds, which I can understand presents a problem (the solution: HOST TOURNAMENTS; we host three a year to pay for travel expenses). Excuse me if I'm "downplay[ing] the quality/greatness of Illinois quizbowl," but I mean no offense. Good luck at nationals.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

DaGeneral wrote:Anyways, back to bigtrain's idiotic and futile attempt to downplay the greatness of Illinois quizbowl...
Did you actually read what I wrote?
DaGeneral wrote:why not come around here for a tournament or two during the year. you could leave thursday night, explore chicago friday, and go to a tourney saturday.
I already went to a tournament in Illinois...none of your peoples showed up :roll: .
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

From what I read, you posted that IL teams MUST attend nationals to prove that they are on the same level if not above other states. Since not all of the teams can make it due to other circumstances, I invited you to attend a tournament here. BTW, what tournament did you attend here?
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

This is the third or fourth time someone from Maryland has been trying to call out Illinois teams (and no, I will not apologize for any one Illinois person trash talking the other states, that's just as wrong). I think the moderators of this website have been asking people to stop that.
That's a bit of an overreaction. He asked which one of the teams that have created a 10-page thread on a national message board will be going to national competitions. It's not such an unreasonable question. I too would be interested to see who's going to nationals, though I certainly wouldn't imply (nor do I think bigtrain did) that not going to nationals makes you team automatically bad.

This being said, there are teams that compete, and there are teams that compete with nationals as a real possibility, if not a given. If your team isn't the latter, that's fine. I absolutely respect anyone who plays quizbowl just because they enjoy it. But there has been a LOT of talk about how Illinois can compete seriously with teams from other regions. I have no real frame of reference, so I won't make a comment either way on this, but if someone from any state (not just Maryland) inquires about whether the people who are responsible for 10 pages worth of "Illinois teams are very good" posts are going to be competing at the national level to test their theories, I don't really think it's fair to accuse them of being "just another guy from X state calling X state out." I do believe that is the exact wording of what that sticky asks us not to do.

Anyways, back to bigtrain's idiotic and futile attempt to downplay the greatness of Illinois quizbowl...

bigtrain, since your team has the cake to afford national tournaments, why not come around here for a tournament or two during the year. you could leave thursday night, explore chicago friday, and go to a tourney saturday. maybe then you might either prove yourself right (which i doubt would happen) or you will realize that we have teams that can hang with the upper crust from other states.
Again, I don't see anything in his statement that suggests Illinois quizbowl sucks. Certainly nothing that would be "idiotic," as he simply asked "Who from Illinois will be at nationals." Even if it were an attempt to downplay any greatness, whether or not the attempt is futile is pretty much entirely up to the Illinois teams that come to to nationals, which is what he was asking about in the first place. So relax, nobody here wants to start any namecalling between Maryland and Illinois. Well. . . probably.

As for bringing some teams up there, I have expressed my desire to do that to a friend of mine who plays Illinois quizbowl, and I understand that your system prevents further competition after the state championships are played. But some teams have certainly talked about going out there next year.

Bottom line, this was hardly an attack on Illinois quizbowl. I don't believe either the "Maryland is after Illinois" or "Bigtrain is an idiot" comments were called for. If we could redirect this, who else from Illinois will be coming to nationals?
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

My bad. To answer your question, most teams that will go will be coming from the nothern part of the state, so I wouldn't count on anyone more than 20 miles south of I-80 attending.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

vandyhawk wrote:
styxman wrote:biggreen, where's Paul Gauthier at? I remember hearing that of the 4 seniors that made up the 94-1 WN team, he was at the supposed 'worst' college of the 4...Something like the other three are at MIT, Harvard, or Yale...I think I heard Vanderbilt for Paul.
Ha ha, I like that 'worst' comment. But yeah, Paul has done quite well for us...led us in scoring at the first few tournaments this semester, and finished close behind me at ACF regionals and nationals and this weekend at ICT (in Div I). We also managed to beat Harvard this weekend, though they did finish ahead of us, as did Yale I believe.
Yeah, you have to stop and appreciate how Vanderbilt is considered the 'worst' of a group of 4. Nothing against you, but it is (again, I think) Harvard, Yale, and MIT. Congrats on your performance!
potato0328
Lulu

Post by potato0328 »

I think there's some major misunderstanding going on here between the two sides. To my fellow Illinois schobowlers, I don't think anyone from the east is trying to imply that Illinois sucks or any such thing. They just want to challenge us to improve.
And to the east coasters, you guys seem to think that we in Illinois do our very best to avoid national competitions. That couldn't be farther from the truth. Speaking for myself, the team I'm on would absolutely kill to be able to challenge ourselves against the best teams in the country. Unfortunately, prior commitments (prom, graduation, family vacations) and precedents (our school has never attended a national tournament) are huge obstacles in our way.
directly from Fremd High School...
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

laszlow wrote:
How exactly is he doing this? I am inclined to agree with him in that you shouldn't keep living in your Illinoisian ivory tower, and I was surprised and pleased to see New Trier at PACE last year. The more teams that go to nationals, the better, and with 2 major nationals in your backyard this year, you don't have much of an excuse not to attend, save funds, which I can understand presents a problem (the solution: HOST TOURNAMENTS; we host three a year to pay for travel expenses). Excuse me if I'm "downplay[ing] the quality/greatness of Illinois quizbowl," but I mean no offense. Good luck at nationals.
Laszlow,

Thank you for not meaning offense.....in fact several of our teams host plenty of tournaments...there are (I'm estimating) about 25 tournaments held between November 1 and the end of February, exclusive of anything related to conferences, just in northern and northeastern Illinois. However, most of these teams need that capital just to be able to fund their attendance at other tournaments. I make it a point to get to at least one out of state tournament a year.

Also, while I'm sadly not speaking for 100% of the state (though hopefully about 99% of the state), we don't look at Illinois as an ivory tower. There are many of us who wish our state tournaments would look a little more like some of the national formats (maybe with a modification here and there), and yes, it would be nice to get to a national level tournament, especially when it is literally in our back yard (my school is the closest geographically to the NAQT nationals....I really wish we could go, with the understanding that we would be lucky to win a match.

Going back to the ivory tower analogy (and I am not directing this to you), it seems that we are the ones being looked down upon from on high. My team only managed to get in 67 matches this year, and that would not rank us in the top 10 in Illinois, and we don't even play a conference scehdule. This is not a case of laziness, or lack of commitment, or lack of wanting to get better. While I can't be sure how the rest of the country compares, I think 67 matches marks a commitment of some type (the commitment to improve and excel aren't neccessarily marked by the number of matches, but there are plenty of teams in that basket as well). There are many ways to show commitment, improvement, and excellence. Attending a national tournament is only one way, and for many teams, far from the best way (due to previous commitments, money, geography, etc).

With perhaps one exception here (again, Laszlow, this is not directed at you), no one on the Illinois side of things has called out the East coast, and no one seemed to imply that Illinois is the best of the best. Until we can enter the top 4-5 teams from Illinois against the top 4-5 teams from other states, this is something that will likely be in disagreement. That's OK. I know on the East Coast, entering nationals for many top teams is a long standing tradition. It is not a big tradition in Illinois. Maybe that will change soon. Maybe it won't. I would think the real top teams in Illinois, in any given year, would love the chance to measure up.

What I was upset about was what appeared to be a little condescension in the question "is Illinois sending any teams".....IMHO, that is not a way to get teams to show up and improve.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Tegan wrote:What I was upset about was what appeared to be a little condescension in the question "is Illinois sending any teams".....IMHO, that is not a way to get teams to show up and improve.
You know what? Though bigtrain’s motive in his original post is clearly to bust the collective chops of the state of Illinois (taken the right way, it could motivate, but this is secondary), I'm going to have to claim that Illinois teams deserve all the condescension that others are willing to dish-out on this issue. While you may feel personally justified in not trying to attend nationals yourself (and you may be, too; that's not for me to judge, but remember that every high school has dances and graduations and money shortages, but only some go to nationals) you cannot deny that, systematically, Illinois teams are not attending nationals, even ones held very near them. That statement is not and is not to be taken as an attack on any one team, coach, or school (attempt to interpret it as such at your peril); it is a mere matter of fact. But to deny that it is an impugnment on the way things are done in this state would be to reject the obvious truth: though things are certainly getting better (as evidenced, for example, by the number of IHSA vict... er.... alumni at ICT, to which add me) Illinois remains a provincial quizbowl backwater, with all the trappings of one.
The indignation posted here is hollow next to the fact that it looks like there will be perhaps two Illinois teams at national tournaments this year (which fact it almost drowns-out.) It sure looks to me like everyone's a bit too sensitive about this, and that is because Illinois teams don't have the horses to run in a race of accomplishments with teams from a state that sends teams to nationals. Until this changes, it's hard to say that claims about Illinois teams being as good or better than other teams are justifiable, even in the limited sense that defines goodness in terms of the expected outcome of a hypothetical match (rather than by a team's accomplishments, for example.)
Again, I am pleased with what I see happening in Illinois high school quizbowl, for the most part, and I will continue to do what I can to further a more cosmopolitan vision of the game (even if only from the selfish motive of generating better recruits.) However, remember; a proud, healthy state responds to "Who from your state is going to the nationals held there?" with a long list of competitive, accomplished teams, not a page of attacks on and arguments about the questioner.

MaS
zwtipp
Rikku

ASCN

Post by zwtipp »

How many of you Illinois people are going to be at ASCN in May? I'd love to play you guys to see how good you are.

It is in chicago for god's sake so most of you SHOULD go.
I do not care much for large yellow Avians.
Stained Diviner
Auron

My guess is that none of us will attend ASCN. Personally, I will not be forced to pay for a dorm room that is ten minutes from my house. ASCN does not give teams the option of commuting.

I hope your team comes to NAQT.
zwtipp
Rikku

Post by zwtipp »

Our school's grauduation is the same weekend as NAQT. This year they decided to change it from Memorial Day weekend to the week after making it impossible for us to go to NAQT.
Admiral
Lulu

Post by Admiral »

If there is an administrator out there....I think it is long passed time to close this thread.....especially since it has degraded into not so subtle bashing. Frankly, if I had a team that was capable of going to a national tournament, I doubt I would take them after reading the last several posts.....
"The first rule of quiz bowl is that you do not talk about quiz bowl.....Second Rule...last names only!"
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

I think you and Mr. Egan are taking for bashing what is an eagerness to play Illinois teams and see how they stack up aginst the rest of the country. There is no need to be so defensive; no one is construing Illinois as any less intelligent than the mean.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I have been to national tournaments in the past as a spectator and would love to go, but with the lack of support from my teammates, we would get creamed.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Admiral wrote:If there is an administrator out there....I think it is long passed time to close this thread.....especially since it has degraded into not so subtle bashing. Frankly, if I had a team that was capable of going to a national tournament, I doubt I would take them after reading the last several posts.....
You would miss out on an otherwise enjoyable opportunity to play a good tournament and prove your mettle against the best in the country, in order to spite an anonymous person on the Internet? I think that's the attitude that the DC people dislike.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I second Mr. Reinstein's comment re ASCN. We have been invited in the past, and I've given the same reason. The argument is that in addition to the dorms, it includes events like Cubs games, Art Institute, etc. . . .my guys do tha anyway!
rtmohr05
Wakka

Post by rtmohr05 »

DaGeneral wrote:I have been to national tournaments in the past as a spectator and would love to go, but with the lack of support from my teammates, we would get creamed.
Maybe it's not the lack of support from your teammates, but your lack of balls.
Rashard Mohr
The Ohio State University
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

rtmohr05 wrote:
DaGeneral wrote:I have been to national tournaments in the past as a spectator and would love to go, but with the lack of support from my teammates, we would get creamed.
You have one more chance to never make a post like that again.
Matt Weiner
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Dude, we were always a good team and went to nationals... and got killed... it was more about the end-of-year trip, whether it be to Chicago for ASCN, NAQT, wherever it was that specific year or to New Orleans :chip: ... it was still a great time. You should go and enjoy the trip, and maybe meet some players you'll be playing with or against in college...
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
jagluski
Wakka

2005 NAQT ICT

Post by jagluski »

2 Comments Relating to the HSNCT:

1) From talking to Stevenson(my alma mater), I get the impression that they will be playing at the HSNCT and dealing with graduation/Sunday when it comes. I was also at the ICT, helping run the D2 control room.

2) Any high school players or coaches who are interested in staffing the 2005 NAQT HSNCT at the O'Hare Crowne Plaza from June 4-5, please email me at [email protected] . Questions are welcome as well, if you're unsure.

Joel Gluskin
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

rtmohr05 wrote:
Considering that 2/3 of our varsity team is sophomores, our coach would never take us to nationals.
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

DaGeneral wrote:Considering that 2/3 of our varsity team is sophomores, our coach would never take us to nationals.
Oh, come on. A silly thing like youth shouldn't discourage you. Two years ago TJ won nations with 3/5 of its team being sophomores, 2 of those 3 in their first year of playing. My first nationals trip was to the GWU PACE when I was a sophomore, and we got creamed; we didn't win any matches until the fourth game in the consolation rounds. But, playing great teams is the best way to improve. Two years later, with the same team (TJ B), the same players, and more experience, and we're the second seed going in to the playoffs brackets in College Park. If your coach is trying to use youth as a reason to avoid nationals, tell him/her that there is nothing better to improve and motivate a young team.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
zwtipp
Rikku

Post by zwtipp »

This year, we are about half sophomores and half seniors on varsity. Our program as a whole is dominated by sophomores and freshmen with almost no juniors.
Taking the sophomores to nationals would probably be good for your team so they can see good teams and possibly learn something from the experience.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

My coach has been to nationals before and doesn't feel that the team should automatically go every year. He has had teams place, as high as 8th at ASCN, but he told me that he isn't sure he even wants to do our own state series because of the lack of committment.
iamsam
Lulu

Post by iamsam »

DaGeneral wrote:Considering that 2/3 of our varsity team is sophomores, our coach would never take us to nationals.
DaGeneral wrote:but he told me that he isn't sure he even wants to do our own state series because of the lack of committment.
Which is it? And I second what Laszlow said, my first major tournament was the Yale Bulldog as a sohpmore, and it was my first year on the team. The experience was very beneficial, it helps younger players a lot.
Carpe Cerevisi
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

My coach wouldn't take this year's team to nationals ever, and if I were an oddsmaker, would make it 20:1 that he signs next year's team up for IHSA state series.
biggreen
Lulu

Post by biggreen »

Congratulations to Coach Egan, winner of the 2005 Benjamin Cooper Young Ambassador Award. According to the award announcement, "He has been an advocate for scholastic bowl and has been spearheading improvements to improve the quality of this activity within the state. He is currently serving as Ombudsperson for the Illinois High School Scholastic Bowl Coaches Association."

Nice work!
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Yeah, congratulations Mr. Egan!
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I'll join the crowd and congratulate Mr. Egan as well.
mrs. dalloway
Lulu

Post by mrs. dalloway »

As far as discussions of national tournaments, we Auburnites will probably be headed to :chip: 's in Chicago. We went last year in New Orleans; it was okay, but not the best. I really wanted to go to NAQT--you get more playing time for less money, what's not to like?--but Tyler's taking the SAT that weekend, and of course we can't go without Tyler. (sigh)
"That's the problem with real life. People don't just break into musical song and dance."
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

mrs. dalloway wrote:As far as discussions of national tournaments, we Auburnites will probably be headed to :chip: 's in Chicago. We went last year in New Orleans; it was okay, but not the best. I really wanted to go to NAQT--you get more playing time for less money, what's not to like?--but Tyler's taking the SAT that weekend, and of course we can't go without Tyler. (sigh)
The SAT is offered 5-6 times a year, you do realize that, right? It may be just me, but I am just tired of people using someone taking a standardized test that is offered several times a year as an excuse, especially when the lead time on deciding to attend a respected national tournament is greater than the six weeks lead time on the SAT. Graduation is an entirely legitimate reason to miss a tournament; prom and studying for AP and IB exams are borderline calls; but the SAT and ACT are not.