Bull Bowl in Buffalo - November 12, 2011

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur
Wakka

Bull Bowl in Buffalo - November 12, 2011

Post by Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur »

The University at Buffalo Academic Bowl Team will be hosting a high school tournament, tentatively scheduled for November 12, 2011. Field will likely be limited to 16 teams, depending on availability of buzzers and staff, and schools will initially be limited to 2 teams, until the week before the tournament, at which point each school can register one additional team, provided enough space remains.

Location: University at Buffalo North Campus (directions can be found at http://www.buffalo.edu/community/visito ... north.html). We will have rooms in Capen Hall, Norton Hall, and Talbert Hall.

Question Set: We will use NAQT set IS-107. Thus, questions should be accessible to a wide range of abilities within the high school circuit.

Tentative Play Structure is as follows:
  • General, round-robin play
  • Playoffs
  • Probably prizes for 1st & 2nd Place teams, and top individual scorer. Possibly prize for top JV team (all first-year players)
Tentative Fee Structure is as follows:
  • Base Team Fee: $60
  • Buzzer Discount: -$5
  • Staff: -$5*
  • Experienced Reader: -$10
  • Distant Team: -$5/150 miles (by Google Maps)
  • Minimum Fee: $30 (approx. break-even point for us)
Payment: TBA - We should be able to accept cash or checks as payment for admission tickets.

Invite other schools! I'm aware of a large Masterminds circuit in Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse, as well as several smaller "Scholastic Bowl"-style leagues. Since Masterminds, I believe, uses NAQT questions, such teams should be a great fit.

Also, we're working on a partnership with the University Honors College, and we're trying to finagle a free lunch for attendees. Otherwise, there is an assortment of restaurants on the UB campus, in the Student Union and the Commons, which offer good food at a reasonable price. UPDATE: We weren't able to make this happen. Sorry!

Teams (Tentative, Probable, and Confirmed)
Pembroke (1 definite)
Clarence (2 definite)
Buffalo City Honors (1 probable)
St. Joseph's Collegiate Institute (1 definite)
Mt Morris (1 definite)
Nichols School (1 definite)
Amherst (2 definite)
Niagara Catholic (1 possible)

Questions? Contact me (Zach Pace) at [email protected]
Also, visit our website: https://sites.google.com/site/ubacademi ... /bull-bowl. Please register via email, and see the link at the bottom of the page for directions.

Edit (6/1) - Location
Edit (6/2) - Distance Discount ($5/150 miles)
Edit (6/4) - Plea for registrants
Edit (7/20) - Date and packet confirmation
Edit (7/27) - Packet set number change
Edit (7/31) - Fee structure
Edit (9/2) - Initial List of Possible/Probable/Confirmed Teams
Edit (9/16, 9/25, & 10/9) - Teams Update
Last edited by Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur on Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:31 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Zach Pace
Clarence High School '10, University at Buffalo '14
Writer, NAQT; Reader, NY MasterMinds
Space Advocate, Amateur Astronomer, and Occasional STEM Pundit
You don't want me anywhere near literature that's not sci-fi or written in Latin. Seriously.
Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill
Rikku

Re: Bull Bowl in Buffalo - November 12, 2011

Post by Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill »

EDIT: Didn't read the full post.
Good luck.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
University of Victoria '18
Anonymous wrote:naqt is much worse than plagiarism could ever hope to be
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

Will this be open to Canadian high school quizbowlers, and if so, will there be an international discount?
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Wakka

We'd be happy to have Canadian teams! A Lisgar team would qualify for a discount of $10 ($5/150 miles--I'm editing my previous post to make this more clear), but we were not intending to offer an additional discount for international teams.

An additional note: Payment for Canadian teams might be a little trickier, depending on how persnickety our Student Association is feeling. We should have details like that ironed out many weeks before the tournament date, though.
Zach Pace
You don't want me anywhere near literature that's not sci-fi or written in Latin. Seriously.
o'b
Lulu

Post by o'b »

So, I'll be going to University at Buffalo next fall and just learned through this that there was a Quiz Bowl team.

Could you add me to any sort of mailing list type things for future updates?

P.S. I'll be glad to help out with Bull Bowl.
KMHS '11
University at Buffalo '15
John
Wakka

Just email the club address, [email protected], and I'll add you to our list. Please also invite your high school, if it's a reasonable distance away (we offer incentives for more distant teams.)

Otherwise, I look forward to meeting you
Zach Pace
Wakka

Tournament date has been finalized to November 12. We just received word from NAQT that we will be using packet set IS-107.

EDIT[9/2]: Packet set update
Last edited by Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur on Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach Pace
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

This is great; upstate New York could certainly use more Saturday tournaments. I might be able to loan you a few buzzer systems if you need them; it would be a shame for teams to be turned away due to lack of systems. Also, consider allowing a greater field size if teams agree to provide a reader. One reader = 2 teams, and I would think many schools would gladly have their coach read if that made the difference in whether they could come or not. Granted, this might slow things down slightly, but if you impress upon them the importance to stay on schedule, it should be okay. I can also put you in touch with a number of people I know in Rochester and SUNY Geneseo who might be willing to lend a hand. There are loads of schools that play qb in upstate New York who should come to this. Final question: is an IS set the best bet? Teams who play in the Masterminds league are used to A sets; while any tournament in upstate New York is welcome, I'm wondering how this might go down with a number of schools who might already be completely unused to playing more than 2 A set rounds in a day (the standard at Masterminds events).
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

nationalhistorybeeandbowl wrote:Final question: is an IS set the best bet? Teams who play in the Masterminds league are used to A sets
The Masterminds leagues already use all four of the A-sets, so we didn't have another introductory-level set that would be clear to upstate New York teams.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Wakka

Yeah, we could definitely use all the personnel and technological assistance we can get: right now, I'm still trying to sort out things with our Student Association/gather staff internally, so having to worry less about external affairs would be great. Email me at the address above if you have any leads, and thanks.
Zach Pace
Wakka

Please see an above update of packet set number being used.
Zach Pace
Wakka

See above for small list of probable teams
Zach Pace
Wakka

Bump.

Also, I am sorry, but it looks like we won't be having a free lunch, as our interactions with campus recruiting organizations seem to have fallen through. Dining options still are aplenty in the Student Union and Commons, and you can get a good meal for about six or seven bucks at Tim Hortons, or even less at BK or La Rosa Pizza. I'll keep trying and post any updates, but it looks like you'll be on your own for lunch.

Lastly, if you are interested, please contact me at the address above. Pass the word to other teams, as we still have plenty of field space.
Zach Pace
Wakka

See above for an up-to-date list of teams attending.
Zach Pace
Wakka

Bump.

We'll be meeting on the first floor (NOT the ground floor) of Talbert Hall. See https://sites.google.com/site/ubacademi ... directions for directions.

Admissions will be accomplished via ticket sales. Cash and checks will be accepted, and we're working on POs.

Lastly, all teams should receive an email from me very soon to confirm the final fees for each team.
Zach Pace
Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill
Rikku

Post by Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill »

So how'd this go? I'd love to hear more about the quiz bowl circuit upstate.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
University of Victoria '18
Anonymous wrote:naqt is much worse than plagiarism could ever hope to be
MathMusic
Lulu

Post by MathMusic »

Bull Bowl turned out well. Nichols A won with a 10-1 record, finishing first out of eight teams. Congrats! Also, Amherst A came in second place with an 8-3 record, with both teams qualifying to HSNCT.

Things went surprising well for an inaugural turnament, everyone had a good time, and there were no major issues. Hopefuly we will begin to see more Saturday tournaments in the area, as this is a somewhat new concept for the WNY region.

Stats will be posted soon, and we hope that everyone will come back next year!
Matthew Hill
U Buffalo '14
Secretary, Past Treasurer and Founding Member, U Buffalo Academic Bowl 2010-2014
Captain, Pembroke, NY HS Quiz Team 2008-2010
Wakka

Things did go quite well, although in the future, we should sequester the TD (me) from reading duties. Stats are posted at http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/16/.
Zach Pace