Tournament Formats...

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
ninjaluc79
Lulu

Tournament Formats...

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Good day, everyone!

I'm planning an intra-school tournament right now, and I'm going to propose this to the higher-ups in my old middle school. It goes like this:

The tournament has a regular season and the post-season. There are seven teams for each grade level, and these teams will play a double round robin regular season format with each of them getting homeroom advantage once per match against each of all the other teams. Say, if Class 2-1 visits Class 2-2 for their first game against each other, then Class 2-2 will visit Class 2-1 the next game, and so on.

I'm thinking about dividing the grade levels into divisions, such as the Freshman Division, Sophomore Division, Junior Division, and Senior Division. There are four instead of three grade levels because the Philippine high school system (middle school system in the US) have four years (three in the US middle school system). Then there are two conferences, the FS Conference and the JS Conference.

After 12 games in the regular season, four teams for each grade level with the best regular season records will advance to the playoffs, which is a single-elimination format. The playoffs look like this:

Round 1 (Grade Level Semifinals) - best-of-3 (1-1-1) - higher seed gets HRA for Games 1 and 3

Freshman #1 vs. Freshman #4
Freshman #2 vs. Freshman #3
Sophomore #1 vs. Sophomore #4
Sophomore #2 vs. Sophomore #3
Junior #1 vs. Junior #4
Junior #2 vs. Junior #3
Senior #1 vs. Senior #4
Senior #2 vs. Senior #3

Round 2 (Grade Level Finals) - best-of-5 (2-2-1) - higher seed gets HRA for Games 1, 2, and 5
Freshman #1 vs. Freshman #2
Sophomore #1 vs. Sophomore #2
Junior #1 vs. Junior #2
Senior #1 vs. Senior #2

Round 3 (Conference Finals) - best-of-7 (2-2-1-1-1) - higher seed gets HRA for Games 1, 2, 5, and 7, determined via regular-season record, HRA based on assumption that the higher grade level has the better regular-season record
Sophomore Champion vs. Freshman Champion
Senior Champion vs. Junior Champion

Finals - best-of-7 (2-3-2) - higher seed gets HRA for Games 1, 2, 6, and 7, determined via regular-season record, HRA based on assumption that the higher grade level has the better regular-season record
JS Champion vs. FS Champion

Questions shall be evenly distributed among all the school subjects including Current Events, Trivia, and General Information.

What do you think, guys?
Richmond Sayson Cabunilas

Bachelor of Science in Education, Major in Mathematics
Our Lady of Fatima University Pampanga Campus
San Fernando City, Pampanga, Philippines

No quiz club affiliation as of date

Previous affiliations:
Dolo Elementary School, Dolo, Bansalan, Davao del Sur, Philippines, 1998-2001
Chevalier School, Angeles City, Philippines, 2002-2005
Cor Jesu College, Digos City, Davao del Sur, Philippines, 2007-2009