2011-2012 DC Area

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

2011-2012 DC Area

Post by Smuttynose Island »

So it's the night before my UVA session and I'm bored. This area isn't too big on these things, but hey one of you RM kids is bound to respond to this, right? Anyways here's how I see things shaking out at the beginning of the year.

1 or 2. St.Anselm's - This team was one of the best teams in the region last year and they don't lose either Jacob or Aidan. They should also be a top ten team nationally this year.
1 or 2. TJ A - With James reuniting his old B teammates and John's negging problem seemingly solved this team will be scary on any set. They should be especially frightful on NAQT questions and I honestly believe that they have a shot at winning HSNCT next year.
3. GDS - Not quite as good as the above two teams, but definitely the third best team in the area at this point. They finished T-13th at HSNCT and don't lose anyone if I recall correctly.
4. RM A- Sam will be joining last year's RM B which should make for a rather good team. It's doubtful that they will replicate their success last year, but they should give the the above teams some fits over the course of the year.
5. Whitman A - Although they lose their delightful coach, they return most of their scoring from last year. They, especially Basil, seemed to really improve over the course of last year and there is no reason why that trend should not continue.
6. Blair A* - It appears as if they return Daniel Hefner, who put up over 70pp20TUH at Maryland/DC states in route to them finishing second ahead of a Jacobless St. Anselm's and a fully loaded RM B. Even though he had very good support at that tournament, if they return even one of two of that supporting cast, they will be frightfully good at NAQT. Their production does seem to drop off at higher difficulty tournaments if their performance at Maryland Spring is anything to go by, which is why I'm putting them below Whitman.
7. Charter A* - This team returns its lead scorer from HSNCT, which saw them exit after a 5-5 prelim record. They also return Ravi, who put up over 30pp20TUH at HSNCT while playing on their 4-6 B team, which should translate to success in local competition.
8. Caesar Rodney - Although they seem to have chronic commitment problems with most of their members, Coach Chrzanowski is a very dedicated coach and Alexa is a very dedicated (and good) player.
9. Gov A - This team really takes a blow from losing Tommy and JR. Good news is that they all appear to be rising juniors. This team has a lot of potential to *improve over the summer and they did manage to go 5-5 at HSNCT last year. (Odds are this is the team that I most likely messed up on)

* symbolize revisions, usually a result of learning that they return good players that I was unsure about.
Last edited by Smuttynose Island on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Re: 2011-2012 DC Area

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Not bad. I agree with most of your top teams, but to put MW above us is pretty silly. Even if they lose those great players, the experience the team gets from writing a tough but great tournament each year helps them tremendously. I wouldn't rank a CR team over them until we actually beat them, which might not happen. I appreciate the compliment though!

In terms of commitment, we definitely have Alexa who is working hard this summer. Pratyusha is back and is trying to be a lock-down science player, and we have a new member Bryce who's great at geography and improving at history and other social sciences. I'm not sure if we have a reliable fourth member right now, but we're working on it.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

I mostly agree with your rankings, but with Gov above CR (for now) and St. Anselm's above TJ (for now). GDS doesn't lose any of their major scorers and I can see them knocking off TJ and St. Anselm's at various points in the year. I also see RM improving as the year goes on, maybe moreso than some of the other teams. And watch out for Whitman, Basil's getting good.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
salmon of wisdom
Lulu

Post by salmon of wisdom »

Great list. Whitman does not lose anyone from their A or B team though.
Todd
Walt Whitman '12
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Post by Black-throated Antshrike »

I like the ranking's except honestly I don't think that CR will be better than GOV or Charter. Yeah Brianna, Keyi, and myself are all gone (These are the only seniors our entire team lost), but we retain Bohan who was our best player after me. She is a strong lit player and the other two girls were both lit players so she had some points taken away from her by that. She's also gotten alot better at science and some history. We also have this one girl that's going to be a sophomore and put up around 70ppg on our C team. She could very likely be the fourth member on the A team. We return all of our B team members, notably Ravi who will take over for me with the hard core sciences and history and knows a damn lot for it. I personally think the rankings would go Gov, Charter, then CR (sorry Andrew). Also I have never even heard of this Blair until now so this might be all a load of crap.
Joe
Delaware
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Blair will be a decent team, but it's contingent on how many tournaments they go to. I think Daniel Hafner has another year.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

Sure, I'm pretty terrible at NAQT, but Daniel Hafner and co. beat St. Anselm's (minus Jacob) at NAQT States this year. If he's back, Blair is nothing to sneeze at.

Other predictions: Throughout the year, St. Anselm's will put up better stats (most of the time?) than TJ, but that team will continue to have our number, like they did for most of Spring 2011. They will find a way to win at key junctures. Also, except for James, everyone on that team will be insane. Not insanely good, just regular old insane. At points, they will invoke the spirit of Daniel Hothem to bring even greater insanity to their games.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
theflyingdeutschman
Wakka

Post by theflyingdeutschman »

If Blair actually shows up to things, I would predict them to be maybe a little better than Whitman. I think their best player(Daniel Hafner) is a rising senior, and our B team beat them on the final question twice, while our A team actually lost to them once.
Sam Deutsch
Richard Montgomery '13
University Of Southern California '17
Smuttynose Island

Andrew Jackson's Compatriot wrote:I like the ranking's except honestly I don't think that CR will be better than GOV or Charter. Yeah Brianna, Keyi, and myself are all gone (These are the only seniors our entire team lost), but we retain Bohan who was our best player after me. She is a strong lit player and the other two girls were both lit players so she had some points taken away from her by that. She's also gotten alot better at science and some history. We also have this one girl that's going to be a sophomore and put up around 70ppg on our C team. She could very likely be the fourth member on the A team. We return all of our B team members, notably Ravi who will take over for me with the hard core sciences and history and knows a damn lot for it. I personally think the rankings would go Gov, Charter, then CR (sorry Andrew). Also I have never even heard of this Blair until now so this might be all a load of crap.
Yeah, now that I know (sort of) who is coming back to Charter and Blair, I'll add them to my rankings. I didn't know where to put them, because I had no idea who they returned, just that they had the potential to make some noise if they returned the right people.
Prof.Whoopie wrote:Throughout the year, St. Anselm's will put up better stats (most of the time?) than TJ, but that team will continue to have our number, like they did for most of Spring 2011. They will find a way to win at key junctures.
This will probably be the case for much of the fall of next year, but as Raynor continues to get better, at a somewhat scary pace, they may soon overtake you statswise.
Prof.Whoopie wrote:Also, except for James, everyone on that team will be insane. Not insanely good, just regular old insane. At points, they will invoke the spirit of Daniel Hothem to bring even greater insanity to their games.
This will always be true.
Daniel Hothem
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

Smuttynose Island wrote:
Prof.Whoopie wrote:Also, except for James, everyone on that team will be insane. Not insanely good, just regular old insane. At points, they will invoke the spirit of Daniel Hothem to bring even greater insanity to their games.
This will always be true.
I really hope whoever is captain next year yells "Atta boy!!" after every power.

EDIT: Never mind, I hope Leidenheimer does it.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Would you see anyone emerging from the sub-TJ strata in Northern VA this year? I don't know who George Mason is returning, for example, Langley has had a few good years here and there, as have other schools in the area.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
Smuttynose Island

STPickrell wrote:Would you see anyone emerging from the sub-TJ strata in Northern VA this year? I don't know who George Mason is returning, for example, Langley has had a few good years here and there, as have other schools in the area.
At the moment, no. I know for a fact that Langley loses Will Mannon (or is it Manning), who was their best player. Marhall, I believe, loses Brian Potter; however, if they don't, then they can be quite good. It be interesting to see what a little more outreach in the area might produce. TJ sends emails to a fair amount of schools inviting them to their tournaments, but many don't come, unfortunately.
Daniel Hothem