2012 Pre-Nationals Tournament at MU (May 12th)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

2012 Pre-Nationals Tournament at MU (May 12th)

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Hello everyone!

This year the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance is pleased to be organizing the 2012 Pre-Nationals Tournament, to be held at the University of Missouri on May 19th, 2012. As with the last 2 years, this tournament is taking advantage of MSHSAA's new rules allowing teams to play one tournament after districts but before nationals. This event is intended to both serve as a chance for teams to play one last invitational tournament of their season, and to give teams going to nationals a chance to get back into the game after the late spring lull in tournaments. Any team can register, whether or not they plan to attend nationals. Last year, we had a very competitive field which even had teams coming from out of state to shake off the rust before nationals, so I expect this field will be even stronger this year.

This tournament will again be a mirror of Prison Bowl written by Hunter College High School's quizbowl team. It will be using strict ACF rules, meaning there will be 20 tossups worth 10 points each in every round. There will be -5 point penalties, and bonuses will be worth 30 points each.

This tournament will be using a rule where each team can have a maximum of 6 players. If you have more than that, do not feel hesitant signing up an extra team so that every player gets more opportunities to participate in games.

We are setting a field cap at 18 teams. Spaces will be allotted on a first-come, first-serve basis, determined by when teams send me an email to register. We will be guaranteeing as close to 10 games as our field size permits.

This event will be using the following fee structure:
The fees are as follows:
$50 base fee for all A teams.
-$5 for any additional teams a school chooses to bring
-$5 for every buzzer system a school brings (maximum 3 per school)*
-$5 for every 100 miles a team travels, one way, as determined by Google Maps
-$10 for every competent moderator a team can provide
* In order to receive the buzzer system discount, the system must be fully functional for 8 players.

We will also be holding the third annual Missouri Quizbowl Alliance Singles Championship immediately after this tournament. More information about it can be found at this link.

If you are interested in registering for these tournaments, or you have any questions, please email me at [email protected].

I hope to see some of you here in May!

-Charlie Dees, Tournament Director
Last edited by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Re: 2012 Pre-Nationals Tournament at MU (May 19th)

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

The link for the singles tournament isn't appearing.

While I'm here, kudos on a pair of excellent sets - Hunter's Prison Bowl has annually been great, and RAVE was a great new production. Enjoy!
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)

This tournament is moving to May 12th because some people had graduation conflicts and stuff. I would love to see some out of state teams coming if the new date works better for them.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Wackford Squeers
Wakka

Post by Wackford Squeers »

This date is free for us, so I'm talking to my coach about coming. Consider this an expression of interest.
Ben Chametzky
University of Chicago, 2016
Carbondale Community High School, 2012
IHSSBCA High School Liaison 2011-2012

Re: 2012 Pre-Nationals Tournament at MU (May 12th)

Congratulations to Ladue, who ended up filling in at the last minute and then went undefeated through the very geographically diverse 12-team round robin. They defeated Mound City in the final, who was also very impressive and drove a LONG way to come out here. Oakville placed third. Thanks as always to the staff who can make this tournament happen, and the teams who came in from all over to get the chance to play this last tournament in Missouri before nationals season starts.

Here are the statistics - http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/