College Heights Academic Tournament @ WKU (CANCELED)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

College Heights Academic Tournament @ WKU (CANCELED)

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The 2012 edition of CHAT has been canceled due to lack of interest. We apologize to the teams who were interested for this. We will be hosting our fall JV tournament and the 3rd annual Hilltopper Invitational later in the year, and hope to get a suitable turnout for each of those events.
Last edited by Rococo A Go Go on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
AustinlSmith
Lulu

Re: College Heights Academic Tournament @ WKU (4/21/12)

Post by AustinlSmith »

So is this tournament looking likely to be the next Kentucky All-Star tryout spot?
Austin Smith
University of Kentucky
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

AustinlSmith wrote:So is this tournament looking likely to be the next Kentucky All-Star tryout spot?
There will likely be a tryout that takes place on the same day as this tournament. We may just run through it after the tournament, or set up something where people who want to tryout can get a round or two in during lunch (don't worry, we'd give you time to eat) and finish it afterwards. There will be a selection committee of at least 3 people from different parts of the state, who will decide mostly based on what they see in the tryouts, although will be looking for the best team that can be put together from the participants instead of just the top scorers. An all-star team of all lit players or all science players wouldn't be very competitive, so finding balance will be a key. All players who are currently high school students in the state of Kentucky will be eligible to tryout.

I will have more details after I talk to the other people involved, and a more formal announcement sometime in the next week or two.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Anybody else want to come to this tournament? It's going to be on an excellent question set and will feature top-notch competition. Also, a late season tournament is great for teams preparing for nationals, and even better for teams preparing for next year. Sitting from February to September without any competition can hurt the development of a team, so everyone would benefit from post-Governor's Cup competition.

As far as what's on tap for this tournament: Everyone who attends should get at least 10 games, and tryouts for the Kentucky All-Star team will follow the tournament. As I stated upthread, the entry fee is $70 for the tournament, however there will be generous staffing discounts and we're willing to work with any team if they don't have as much money left in the budget as they would hope. We hope as many schools can attend as possible, so if you want to come please email me at [email protected]
Nicholas C
KQBA member
The ChatSack Triple-Play
Lulu

Post by The ChatSack Triple-Play »

The Hub (Gainesville, Florida) wrote:Anybody else want to come to this tournament? It's going to be on an excellent question set and will feature top-notch competition. Also, a late season tournament is great for teams preparing for nationals, and even better for teams preparing for next year. Sitting from February to September without any competition can hurt the development of a team, so everyone would benefit from post-Governor's Cup competition.

As far as what's on tap for this tournament: Everyone who attends should get at least 10 games, and tryouts for the Kentucky All-Star team will follow the tournament. As I stated upthread, the entry fee is $70 for the tournament, however there will be generous staffing discounts and we're willing to work with any team if they don't have as much money left in the budget as they would hope. We hope as many schools can attend as possible, so if you want to come please email me at [email protected]
Our [Pikeville's that is] A team has all expressed interest in going, but we haven't yet finalized the logistics with our coaches. We should hopefully be able to bring at least one team.
Sasha Malone
WKU '20

they/them

"Because we're young we think nothing can destroy us. Something can." ~ John Darnielle
AustinlSmith
Lulu

Post by AustinlSmith »

Our coach is out the state at the moment, but we're also expressing interest. However, our two best players will be at senior prom, so it would be a B+ team at the best.
Austin Smith
University of Kentucky
HarvardHillBilly
Lulu

Post by HarvardHillBilly »

What teams will be coming?
Bennett Stewart
Pikeville High School Coach
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Right now I've only got a couple definite entries and a lot of teams that are interested. If this tournament is going to happen, some of those that have expressed interest really need to hurry up and register. To help expedite the process, we have significantly lowered entry fees for the tournament, which now are:

$40 for one team
$30 for each additional team
$10 discount for each staffer provided
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

If we don't have at least 5 or 6 teams actually registered by this Saturday, I'm afraid we won't be able to have this tournament. I feel good that we can get to that number, but interested parties that haven't talked to me lately need to get off the fence and let me know if they are coming or not. Running a 4 team tournament would not be in the best interest of anybody involved, especially teams that have to pay to come to the event.

EDIT: One thing I can say for sure is that there is no way an All-Star team tryout can be held with this small of a field. I'm not sure what's going to happen on this front, but unless something radically changes I can't imagine a situation where there's going to be an actual tryout now.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Not only is there no interest in this tournament, it's looking pretty impossible to hold it on this date, at least on WKU's campus. Would there be any interest in attending this tournament on April 28 or May 5? If not, we will have to cancel it.
Nicholas C
KQBA member