Sportsmanship at the NAC

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Sportsmanship at the NAC

Post by Matt Weiner »

Link
I was the Captain of my school's Quiz Bowl team this last year and we won the national tournament. http://www.qunlimited.com/national.htm is the site for it. Definitly the top thing that happened in my life, and it was a really big deal for everyone. I won the first national championship at my high school, which was suffering from it's first year of no state championships in a long long time. Also, I won by being a complete dickhead to the other team... so that makes me proud.
Aside of all comments on whether the increasingly depleted field at the NAC warrants calling it "the national tournament", I'd like to call attention to the last sentence. Does anyone who was there know what he's referring to?
Chanman
Lulu

Post by Chanman »

Good Lord! I never realized just how absurd NAC is til I saw that website! What kind of tournament doesn't give a replacement question after a protest?
I wasn't scared because he was holding a gun, I was scared because this man was CHIINEESE!
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Oh, I see from the protest what he was talking about. Yeah, winning a game based on the terrible rules of the tournament improperly reversing a terrible question is something to be proud of. :chip: :chip: :chip:
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

I don't see what is wrong with the protest. The question was legitimate, and the answer given was wrong. There is no need for a replacement in such a situation. Of course, it makes the tournament look bad for having the wrong answer in the first place, but so it goes.
NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan »

Whatever the other problems with NAC, the protest and its handling look legitimate, though the explanation is a bit clumsy (the part with the "'all' of the answers were incorrect" is poorly written). And I'm glad they were able to find three additional math experts by phone to verify that sine squared x equals 1/4 has four possible values. Two experts simply wouldn't be enough.

--Raj Dhuwalia
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

The protest certainly appears to be handled correctly. However, that kid's arrogance in the SA forums is pretty disgusting, especially since winning the NAC is about as phenominal as the Patriots playing on the CFL circuit and winning it.

On a sidenote: All four of those kids certainly look like regularly perusing goons of the SA forums.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

On its face the protest seems alright, but I'm taking the kid's self-labeling to mean that there was more to it than described in the summary. And it's pretty inexcusable to decide a championship based on a nonpyramidal tossup with the wrong answer, but "inexcusable" is what the NAC's all about, so I can't say I'm surprised.
NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan »

Matt Weiner wrote:On its face the protest seems alright, but I'm taking the kid's self-labeling to mean that there was more to it than described in the summary.
From the other things on that forum, some of which were pretty funny, I thought the kid was just being sarcastic.