Glasgow (KY) Invitational (12/15/12)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Scottietodd
Wakka

Glasgow (KY) Invitational (12/15/12)

Post by Scottietodd »

If you haven't sent your registration in would you mind dropping me an email at [email protected] to confirm your status? Thank you.

Glasgow High School will be hosting an official NAQT tournament this December 15 using IS-119A Questions. Registration is $70 ($60 if by November 16). We have a brand new high school and intend on putting on a great tournament. We will offer a nice hospitality room and will have limited concessions (snacks and drinks). There are many fast food restaurants nearby as well. Chad will have the tournament posted on the NAQT site soon.

If you would like more information about the tournament, please contact Todd Garrison at [email protected] or call (270) 308-5847 and ask for Todd.

Thank you,

Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School

p.s. It would be nice to add our date to the running list at the top. Thank you.

Done. --Mgmt.

Current Field (tentative) Includes:

Johnson Central (2 teams)
Pikeville (1 teams)
Dunbar ( 2teams)
Gallatin,TN (2 teams)
Barren Co (2 teams)
Russel Independent (2 teams)
Menifee
Bowling Green
Rossview, TN (1 teams)
Adair (possibly 1 team)
The Plastics(unaffiliated team from Manual)
Corbin(1 team possibly)
Morristown Tn (1 team)
Last edited by Scottietodd on Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Re: Kentucky 2012-13

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Peabody wrote:Glasgow High School will be hosting an official NAQT tournament this December 15 using IS-119A Questions. Registration is $70 ($60 if by November 16). We have a brand new high school and intend on putting on a great tournament. We will offer a nice hospitality room and will have limited concessions (snacks and drinks). There are many fast food restaurants nearby as well. Chad will have the tournament posted on the NAQT site soon.

If you would like more information about the tournament, please contact Todd Garrison at [email protected] or call (270) 308-5847 and ask for Todd.

Thank you,

Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School

p.s. It would be nice to add our date to the running list at the top. Thank you.

Done. --Mgmt.

Current Field Includes:

Johnson Central (A & B)
Russell Independent
I think that at least myself, and possibly several of my teammates, would be available to help staff the tournament.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Scottietodd
Wakka

Post by Scottietodd »

Sulawesi Myzomela wrote:
Peabody wrote:
I think that at least myself, and possibly several of my teammates, would be available to help staff the tournament.
That would be great! I'll be in touch with you when I get more data about the tournament field.

Todd
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
The ChatSack Triple-Play
Lulu

Post by The ChatSack Triple-Play »

Peabody wrote:Glasgow High School will be hosting an official NAQT tournament this December 15 using IS-119A Questions. Registration is $70 ($60 if by November 16). We have a brand new high school and intend on putting on a great tournament. We will offer a nice hospitality room and will have limited concessions (snacks and drinks). There are many fast food restaurants nearby as well. Chad will have the tournament posted on the NAQT site soon.

Thank you,

Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School

Done. --Mgmt.

Current Field Includes:

Johnson Central (A & B)
Russell Independent
Pikeville will most likely bring two teams.
Sasha Malone
WKU '20

they/them

"Because we're young we think nothing can destroy us. Something can." ~ John Darnielle
Scottietodd
Wakka

Post by Scottietodd »

HopefullyUnknown wrote:

Thank you,

Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School

Done. --Mgmt.

Current Field Includes:

Johnson Central (A & B)
Russell Independent
Pikeville will most likely bring two teams.
That would be excellent!
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
Scottietodd
Wakka

Re: Glasgow (KY) Tournament (12/15/12)

Post by Scottietodd »

The (tentative) field now includes the following:

See beginning of thread..
Last edited by Scottietodd on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
jesseshelburne
Lulu

Re: Glasgow (KY) Tournament (12/15/12)

Post by jesseshelburne »

Manual is interested in bringing 4 teams. Confirmation will be coming from our AC in the next few weeks.
Jesse Shelburne
Captain - duPont Manual (KY) '14
Harvard '18
Scottietodd
Wakka

Re: Glasgow (KY) Invitational (12/15/12)

Post by Scottietodd »

Fantastic, Jesse. We'll be looking for you.

Todd
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
Warlockoftheeast
Lulu

Post by Warlockoftheeast »

Corbin has interest in probably one team.
Kieren Weisert
"Away! away! for I will fly to thee,"-Ode to a Nightingale
Corbin High School '14
Columbia University in the City of New York '18

Johnny Quizbowl.
The ChatSack Triple-Play
Lulu

Due to money restraints and precedent, I believe we're only going to register one team. Confirmation coming ASAP.
Sasha Malone
WKU '20

they/them

"Because we're young we think nothing can destroy us. Something can." ~ John Darnielle
Scottietodd
Wakka

Post by Scottietodd »

Warlockoftheeast wrote:Corbin has interest in probably one team.
I'll send the info to this email address. Welcome!
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
Scottietodd
Wakka

Post by Scottietodd »

HopefullyUnknown wrote:Due to money restraints and precedent, I believe we're only going to register one team. Confirmation coming ASAP.
Thanks for the update Alex. We'll see you soon!
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
Warlockoftheeast
Lulu

Post by Warlockoftheeast »

In case our coach didn't bring this up, we will register one team unless a change is made.
Kieren Weisert
"Away! away! for I will fly to thee,"-Ode to a Nightingale
Corbin High School '14
Columbia University in the City of New York '18

Johnny Quizbowl.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

How'd this go?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
The ChatSack Triple-Play
Lulu

Fred wrote:How'd this go?
My best guess is that Manual/the walking Mean Girls reference played Dunbar A in the finals (this being run on an IS-A set, I have no idea who won,) after having beaten Russell A and Dunbar B, respectively. I know that Russell beat us 460-410 in the quarterfinals, and I was told that they then fell to Manual. The other side is all speculation.

[Edit to avoid double post]
In the way of feedback, the tournament was very well run and the staffers, for the most part, did an excellent job. The one suggestion that I would make should this tournament be run next year is that a slightly more appropriate question set (say, regular IS, HSAPQ, or a housewrite of similar difficulty) be used. Against teams of comparable skill, I found that many questions with decent answer lines were relegated to buzzer races on the first or second clue, which is never a pleasant experience.
Sasha Malone
WKU '20

they/them

Scottietodd
Wakka

Post by Scottietodd »

The Glasgow Scottie Invitational took place this past Saturday and went well. I don't have all the statistics compiled yet, but here are some general results:

Champion: The Plastics (DMHS)

Runnerup: Dunbar B

Semifinalists: Dunbar A
Russell B

Quarterfinalists: Bowling Green
Corbin
Johnson Central A
Pikeville

Thanks to all of the staff and the coaches who made this tournament run so smoothly.

Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
Scottietodd
Wakka

Post by Scottietodd »

HopefullyUnknown wrote:
Fred wrote:How'd this go?
My best guess is that Manual/the walking Mean Girls reference played Dunbar A in the finals (this being run on an IS-A set, I have no idea who won,) after having beaten Russell A and Dunbar B, respectively. I know that Russell beat us 460-410 in the quarterfinals, and I was told that they then fell to Manual. The other side is all speculation.

[Edit to avoid double post]
In the way of feedback, the tournament was very well run and the staffers, for the most part, did an excellent job. The one suggestion that I would make should this tournament be run next year is that a slightly more appropriate question set (say, regular IS, HSAPQ, or a housewrite of similar difficulty) be used. Against teams of comparable skill, I found that many questions with decent answer lines were relegated to buzzer races on the first or second clue, which is never a pleasant experience.

Thank you for the positive feedback on the tournament, Alex. You guys played well. Your suggestion about the question set is very well received and is noted. Others have offered the same suggestion. Thanks again.
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
jesseshelburne
Lulu

Post by jesseshelburne »

On behalf of our entire team (The Plastics), I would like to thank the tournament directors, especially Mr. Garrison, for accommodating the unique circumstances surrounding our entry. The four of us greatly enjoyed the tournament and were impressed with how quickly and efficiently it was run (especially considering the high tendency of quizbowl tournaments to run late). We are very happy to see an official NAQT tournament that is within reasonable driving distance and also attracts the best teams from across the region. Thanks for hosting a great tournament!
Jesse Shelburne
Captain - duPont Manual (KY) '14
Harvard '18
Scottietodd
Wakka

Post by Scottietodd »

jesseshelburne wrote:On behalf of our entire team (The Plastics), I would like to thank the tournament directors, especially Mr. Garrison, for accommodating the unique circumstances surrounding our entry. The four of us greatly enjoyed the tournament and were impressed with how quickly and efficiently it was run (especially considering the high tendency of quizbowl tournaments to run late). We are very happy to see an official NAQT tournament that is within reasonable driving distance and also attracts the best teams from across the region. Thanks for hosting a great tournament!
Thank you for the kind words Jesse!
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Were stats done for this?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator