NAQT MD/DC State Championship @ Richard Montgomery, 4/13/13

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jonathanmarx
Wakka

NAQT MD/DC State Championship @ Richard Montgomery, 4/13/13

Post by jonathanmarx »

Richard Montgomery High School is excited to announce the 2013 NAQT Maryland/District of Columbia State Championship, to be held on April 13th, 2013 on our marvelous campus in scenic Rockville, Maryland. This tournament will be a chance for teams to qualify both for NAQT’s HSNCT (top 15% as well as the top team who hasn’t yet qualified) and for PACE NSC (percent to be determined based on the tournament’s certification).

Questions: This tournament will be run on NAQT’s IS-126, which has been reserved for state championship tournaments. We will not use math computation tossups or bonuses, and we will read untimed rounds of 20 tossups and 20 bonuses.

Registration will begin at 8:15, with the opening meeting at about 9:00 AM.

The fee structure is as follows:

First team: $70
Each additional team: $65
Working buzzer discount: -$5
Reader discount: -$5
Minimum fee per team: $50

Checks should be made out to “Richard Montgomery High School” with “It’s Academic” as the memo line.

Please send registrations to [email protected] - in the email, make sure to clearly indicate the number of teams, buzzers, and moderators you plan to bring. We ask that teams carry no more than six players on a single team.

The field will most likely be capped at either 24 or 30 teams, but I’ll confirm it once our administration responds to our room requests.

For questions, suggestions, comments, or concerns, email [email protected] or post below.

Field (teams/buzzers/readers)

Quince Orchard (1/1/0)
Bullis (1/1/0)
Magruder (1/1/1)
Wilde Lake (1/1/0)
Georgetown Day (1/3/0)
St. Anselm's (1/1/0)
Gonzaga (1/0/1)
Springbrook (1/0/0)
Blair (3/1/0)
Walter Johnson (1/1/1)
Bishop McNamara (1/1/0)
House Team (1)

TOTAL: (14/11/2)
Last edited by jonathanmarx on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Re: NAQT MD State Championship @ Richard Montgomery, 04/13/13

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Does this event still welcome DC teams?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Maybe! We'll see if there's interest from enough DC teams to have a separate district championship.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

RyuAqua wrote:Does this event still welcome DC teams?
I assumed that it would, but I was told that attempts would be made to find a host/sufficient interest in DC for a separate tournament by February 1st. If no host has been found by then, we would like to combine the fields at our site (which is very convenient to all of the DC teams, being near the city and Metro-accessible).
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

And we have our first registration, from Quince Orchard High School! Get those registrations in!

We will most likely be capping the field at 24, although we may be able to expand up to 30 based on interest.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

bt_green_warbler wrote:Maybe! We'll see if there's interest from enough DC teams to have a separate district championship.
I emailed Chad Kubicek about this, and received no response - at this point, can I officially combine MD/DC at this tournament? I've talked to some DC people including Noah Cowan from GDS and they seemed to indicate they'd prefer to combine the two at our site.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
Important Bird Area

jonathanmarx wrote:I emailed Chad Kubicek about this, and received no response
Sorry about that; we've been busy with SCT. If GDS is ok with a combined Maryland/DC championship, so are we. I'll make sure our schedule gets updated on Monday with whatever the final outcome is.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

jonathanmarx wrote:
bt_green_warbler wrote:Maybe! We'll see if there's interest from enough DC teams to have a separate district championship.
I emailed Chad Kubicek about this, and received no response - at this point, can I officially combine MD/DC at this tournament? I've talked to some DC people including Noah Cowan from GDS and they seemed to indicate they'd prefer to combine the two at our site.
I have confirmed with GDS that the DC schools prefer this to be a combined tournament; the calendar on naqt.com now reflects that.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

jonathanmarx
Wakka

Re: NAQT MD/DC State Championship @ Richard Montgomery, 4/13/13

Post by jonathanmarx »

This tournament is a month away, and a lot of the regular MD/DC teams haven't signed up - get those registrations in!

Two updates:
1. PACE has awarded this tournament platinum certification! This means that the top 25% of teams (rounded up to the nearest integer) will qualify for PACE NSC .

2. We plan to run Maryland (and, in theory, DC if they want to put a team together) NASAT tryouts after the tournament. I'm still figuring out format, etc. but it will most likely be in some shootout format on a college set. More details to come! (If anyone has recommendations as to what college sets are best to use for this - both in terms of difficulty and question security/timeliness - I'd appreciate your input.)
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Penn-ance worked well here.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

Fred wrote:Penn-ance worked well here.
Indeed, this tryout will be using Penn-ance (a hearty thanks to Eric Mukherjee for letting us use the set).
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

This tournament is 2.5 weeks out, and I still haven't heard from teams like Centennial, Blair, WJ, and other regulars. Please get those registrations in! We need to have an idea of what the field is going to look like.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
tgaddy
Lulu

Post by tgaddy »

We're just trying to see how many teams we'll be able to bring. You can definitely count on at least two Blair teams coming to this.
Thomas Gaddy
Montgomery Blair High School '13
Off To See The Lizard
Wakka

Post by Off To See The Lizard »

Yeah, we'll be there too. I'll try to get a registration in soon after school starts again
Sameen Belal
Walter Johnson '14
New York University '18
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

Two teams from Blair have joined the field! We've been surprised by the low turnout so far, get those registrations in! Deadline will be Wednesday, April 10th.

In other news, thanks to the gracious Minnesota team, we'll now be using MUT for the NASAT tryouts. The tryouts will occur after the tournament's conclusion and will cost $5 per person. Please let us know (either on the forums, by email, or by contacting me on Facebook) if you're interested in trying out for the Maryland NASAT team so we can determine whether or not there's sufficient interest for tryouts.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

Registration for this closes on Wednesday, April 10th! We'd love to get some more teams before then!

If the field stays at 11, I guess we'll throw in a house team of freshmen and do 2 brackets of 6 into 2 brackets of 6 unless there's a better idea that I'm not thinking of.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
tgaddy
Lulu

Post by tgaddy »

I think we sent you an email about this today, but just in case - Montgomery Blair would like to register one more team for a total of 3 if it is still possible.
Thomas Gaddy
Montgomery Blair High School '13
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

This happened.

Blair beat WJ in a one-game final after they both finished 8-1 overall (Blair losing to WJ, WJ losing to GDS) by some lopsided score which I cannot recall. GDS was 3rd with St. Anselm's 4th.

As for the NASAT tryouts that were supposed to happen after the tournament, only 5 players from Maryland expressed interest in NASAT, and so no tryouts were held and it is left to those five players to organize their team.

Those are: Thomas Gaddy and Ian Ozeroff from Blair, Sameen Belal from WJ, and Paul and Isaac Kirk-Davidoff from Oakland Mills.

Stats will be up sometime tonight. EDIT: like right now (http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/1235/). Some games may be missing but I'm not sure, a lot of teams left at varying points throughout the afternoon and scheduling got a bit crazy.

Thanks everyone for coming! I hope things ran as well as everyone hoped.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17