Small schools and the HSNCT

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Ben Dillon
Rikku

Small schools and the HSNCT

Post by Ben Dillon »

Perhaps it's heresy to suggest this, but I count 25 Small Schools. Maybe there should be a separate HSNCT for them on the following weekend? (If they wanted to play up, they could, but they could only register for one of the two, with question duplication.)

This would allow for expansion to 256. I do agree that 256 seems to be an upper limit without making the tournament last longer, i.e. more byes.
Ben Dillon, Saint Joseph HS

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as
six impossible things before breakfast!"
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Re: 2013 NAQT HSNCT: May 25-26, Atlanta

Post by Cody »

Ben Dillon wrote:Perhaps it's heresy to suggest this, but I count 25 Small Schools. Maybe there should be a separate HSNCT for them on the following weekend? (If they wanted to play up, they could, but they could only register for one of the two, with question duplication.)

This would allow for expansion to 256. I do agree that 256 seems to be an upper limit without making the tournament last longer, i.e. more byes.
You don't understand how the small school 'division' or national tournaments work. For one thing, few--if any--of the small schools are going to pay to attend a 25 team tournament. For two, much like the undergraduate 'division' in college, there's no functional difference in the schools except they have a smaller attendance (no graduate students). Small schools have finished quite highly at HSNCT (I believe Christiansburg George Mason placed T-27 or T-21 recently), and there's no reason to separate them from the other competition.
Last edited by Cody on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

SirT wrote:I believe Christiansburg placed T-27 or T-21 recently
For the record, Christiansburg isn't a small school by NAQT's definition.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

Sorry--I meant George Mason, who finished T-21 at the 2011 HSNCT.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
fett0001
Tidus

Post by fett0001 »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
SirT wrote:I believe Christiansburg placed T-27 or T-21 recently
For the record, Christiansburg isn't a small school by NAQT's definition.
What's that definition, Jeff?
Mike Hundley
PACE Member
Virginia Tech
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

From NAQT's website:
For the purposes of its Top Small School award at the High School National Championship Tournament, NAQT defines a small school to be a public high school with an average daily membership (ADM) of 500 or fewer students in grades 10-12 and a non-selective admission policy.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Is NAQT still considering having a separate Small School HSNCT in the future?
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

quizbowllee wrote:Is NAQT still considering having a separate Small School HSNCT in the future?
Was it ever considering having one in the first place? Did anyone bring this (bad) idea up before Mr. Dillon two days ago?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

RyuAqua wrote:
quizbowllee wrote:Is NAQT still considering having a separate Small School HSNCT in the future?
Was it ever considering having one in the first place? Did anyone bring this (bad) idea up before Mr. Dillon two days ago?
Yes. A couple of years ago, I and (I assume) several other Small School Coaches were asked our opinion on this possibility. I was adamantly against it.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Ben Dillon
Rikku

Post by Ben Dillon »

SirT wrote:You don't understand how the small school 'division' or national tournaments work.
I'm aware of how the small school division works. Teams that are 4-6 or better (no fewer than three) qualify for playoffs, and it gets more complicated if some of them are involved in the general playoffs.

And why would you say that I don't understand how national tournaments work?

I assume you meant to say I don't understand the value of attending HSNCT for small schools. I agree that few would attend a low-attendance separate HSNCT, but it's also possible more might be encouraged to attend if they didn't have to "play up" all the time at HSNCT. I would rather see one and only one national tournament, any cap to the attendance forces organizers to make choices as to deadlines for signup and percentages who qualify, so I put the separate tournament idea on the table. I don't necessarily support it, especially since I don't have a horse in the race.

No hard feelings, though :)
Ben Dillon, Saint Joseph HS

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as
six impossible things before breakfast!"
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

R. wrote:NAQT has an overarching goal of promoting quiz bowl at all schools across the country; separate tournaments or divisions for different classes of schools has certainly been something that has been considered. That said, if and when we decide to launch any major initiatives in that direction, it'll be announced on our website.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred