PACE Information

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

gov might bring one buzzer but only if we can fit it in a carry on, and if security doesnt think its some complex wiring system for a shoe bomb :wink: , but we probably wont. also this system is actually owned by one of our players and not the club itself so yea....

anyway, today at practice a dilemma came to my attention. this dilemma is that we have to go back on two separate flights, one of which leaves early enough that our b and c teams have to leave the tournament at 2:30 pm sunday. the thing is, i anticipate our b team (of which i'm a member) finishing high in the consolation bracket, and while consolations dont mean the entire world to me, it's always nice to finish first or second in any bracket. but if we leave that early we'll have to miss the end of the playoffs, and so miss our chance at everlasting glory and immortalization as gods of quizbowl, as unvanquishable, unmatched weekend warriors, who against all odds....well i'll just stop with that part. but my point is this, usually prelims on saturday end fairly early compared to some tournaments right, so if everyone agrees to it, would it be possible to play the first two rounds or so of consolation playoffs saturday night? i hope some readers and the players would be willing to do that. thanks
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

Generally, the playoffs (both championship playoffs for the top 12 and consolation playoffs for everyone else) would end before lunch. I am referring to the two-division round robin that determines the Final Four. Those playoffs would end by 12:30-1 pm, so barring a disaster, you would be able to play your games. As for being recognized, if it means so much to you, and your team wins some hardware in the consolation bracket, we can award the consolation trophies at the meeting following lunch where the Final Four competitors are announced. That meeting would occur at or before 2:30 pm and then you could immediately leave to catch your flight.

Starting the playoffs Saturday evening is simply not going to happen. Aside from the logistical considerations, would you prefer to be in a classroom answering questions (after having done the same for 6+ hours), or enjoying a warm evening of fun at Universal Studios? I know which one I would choose, and consider myself pretty hardcore.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

quizbowllee wrote:OK - I've asked this a few times, but it always seems to get buried before I get a reply. So - here goes again:

Is there anywhere I can download/buy/trade/otherwise GET questions from PACE tournaments of years past?

-Lee
If you are subscribed to the mailing list for registered teams, you can go to the Files section (left sidebar) in the Yahoogroups homepage.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Adding to Dan's comments, we'll do our best to accommodate everyone for Sunday's events. We do have "hardware" that if you have to leave early we will try to get it to you when you check out. But Saturday evening is protected time to be sure that everything is properly planned for Sunday. And we do want to give everyone a break from Saturday's events... and certainly as early as we can.

With the number of teams left in the consolation bracket, we want to be done with that by Round 12. With between 16 and 20 teams, we should be able to do that, if all the teams are considerate enough to move the consolation rounds forward expediently. Otherwise, changing the schedule (at this time) would be made at the discretion of the TD and the TO (which would be Chris, Dan, and me), though obviously with the rest of the PACE staff willing to provide advice.

But we have given out trophies to teams leaving early in the past, so if you have to leave early we can.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Out of curiosity - do you guys know of any group discounts at Universal? I couldn't find any online.

Thanks.

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Dan Greenstein wrote: Starting the playoffs Saturday evening is simply not going to happen. Aside from the logistical considerations, would you prefer to be in a classroom answering questions (after having done the same for 6+ hours), or enjoying a warm evening of fun at Universal Studios? I know which one I would choose, and consider myself pretty hardcore.
ehh, there's never time to do much at any attractions at a national tournament. try though we may, it didnt happen when naqt was at myrtle beach 2 yrs ago. anyway thanks for the reply, i was unaware that the consolations ended that early, so yea nobody panic over it all looks like we'll be fine. oh yea one more thing, although we probably won't bring buzzers, mlwgs gaurantees that none of its players shall carry whizzinators to avoid positive drug tests (nor do we have any relationship with mr. onterrio smith), so can we get a $25 or so discount for that? :wink:

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

oh yea one more thing, although we probably won't bring buzzers, mlwgs gaurantees that none of its players shall carry whizzinators to avoid positive drug tests (nor do we have any relationship with mr. onterrio smith), so can we get a $25 or so discount for that? :wink:
:shock: :cool:
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Dr. Chuck, which team dropped yesterday?
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

solonqb wrote:Dr. Chuck, which team dropped yesterday?
Walt Whitman. Finals.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

:shock: NOOO!!!! The sky is falling! I saw the update for the field, and that's the final talley right? 30 teams?! That means *gasp* not all brackets are 8 teams! (not to mention it's a small field size, probably b/c of NAQT's titanic girth) Dr. Chuck, you should try to get a couple of local teams (ones that don't have to fly) to play as "standby" teams/field fillers. Adds a little local flair to the whole experience you know. Maybe Hardee Senior could send another one. Just a thought.... :wink:

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

I too was surprised that no Florida teams have signed up for PACE NSC, considering it is going to be a long time before they again experience the convenience of a national tournament in Florida. Presumably they have been informed about the tournament and they have to make the decision on their own to attend or not.

Yes, not all brackets will be eight teams, but we will make an effort to get everyone a full seven games, although for some brackets one of those will be an exhibition game.
quizbowlmike
Lulu

Post by quizbowlmike »

The state of Florida didnt have nearly as many tournaments this year as it usually does due to "inclement weather" in the fall. I was surprise Ransom Everglades didn't sign up because when I talked to them after they destroyed everyone in our spring NAQT state championship, they expressed interest in going to nationals. I told them that PACE was at Valencia this year and they said they wanted to go, but they don't have a coach anymore and technically I dont think they have a school team either. So I guess they couldn't get things together enough to go?

Pensacola, Vero, and Rickards were all good teams this year, I'm surprised none of them signed up... or maybe they just didn't know about it.

Anyways, if you need extra people to play, I'd be glad to drive on down and play :-) I'll probably be there just to watch anyways. (and I'll for Kelli to go with me, but she doesnt know this yet.)

--Doug

Note: the Florida school is generally just called "Hardee" not "Hardee Senior"
Last edited by quizbowlmike on Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
My views in no way represent those of the UF College Bowl team. (by request)
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

One correction to note: Hardee Senior is from Florida.

I think the hurricanes probably did us in, but I am not sure why some other teams didn't attend. We have had a good showing from Florida in the past, and we have told people about Valencia being a host site for 2 years.

I suppose it is just better to hold everyone's breath until two days before to tell people where nationals is, right? :)

We're also now at 29 teams so we'll see who we can get to fill the spots among the extra students we have in the field.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

E.T. Chuck wrote:One correction to note: Hardee Senior is from Florida.

I think the hurricanes probably did us in, but I am not sure why some other teams didn't attend. We have had a good showing from Florida in the past, and we have told people about Valencia being a host site for 2 years.

I suppose it is just better to hold everyone's breath until two days before to tell people where nationals is, right? :)

We're also now at 29 teams so we'll see who we can get to fill the spots among the extra students we have in the field.
Hah yea I knew about Hardee being the only FL school that's why I said perhaps they could send another... Anyways, 29 - who dropped? I imagine TJ might be able to have 3 teams since they usually bring a lot of people (last yr at naqt i think they had about 10 people on their b team). And perhaps now there could be a couple of coalition teams (coalition - I love saying that word :lol: ).

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

samer
Lulu

Post by samer »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Dan Greenstein wrote: Starting the playoffs Saturday evening is simply not going to happen. Aside from the logistical considerations, would you prefer to be in a classroom answering questions (after having done the same for 6+ hours), or enjoying a warm evening of fun at Universal Studios? I know which one I would choose, and consider myself pretty hardcore.
ehh, there's never time to do much at any attractions at a national tournament. try though we may, it didnt happen when naqt was at myrtle beach 2 yrs ago.
There are bona fide attractions in Myrtle Beach? I don't think I've ever been in a place that yelled "tourist trap" quite so loudly. . . .
samer dot ismail -at- gmail dot com / Samer Ismail, PACE co-founder, NAQT editor
NRScout98
Lulu

Post by NRScout98 »

I imagine TJ might be able to have 3 teams since they usually bring a lot of people
We had planned on that until the money ran out...
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Solon will be at the Doubletree and willing to scrimmage on Thursday night (after about 8) and Friday night. We have a variety of college (ACF) and past PACE packets for anyone who is interested. Post here/email me at selimthegrim at gmail dot com if interested.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Noah,
Depending on when you guys want to have dinner, :phone: . Might join you.

No, I don't have any questions.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
First Chairman
Auron

RULES DOCUMENT

Post by First Chairman »

Here is the link to the 2005 NSC Rules document.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I will be happy to read for any scrimmages at or near the official hotel on Friday night once my pre-tournament organization duties are fulfilled.
quizbowlmike
Lulu

Post by quizbowlmike »

Is anybody else out there getting a little worried about tropical storm arlene?

(maybe i'm just paranoid from living in FL for too long)
My views in no way represent those of the UF College Bowl team. (by request)
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

I'm concerned about it but not really worried, and I've been through a bunch of tropical storms and hurricanes Ivan and Bertha. According to the National Hurricane Center (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/), the storm will strike on the Gulf Coast anwhere from Louisiana to the FL panhandle sometime Saturday. We in Orlando will probably get a little rain and wind from it but nothing very serious. The big problem from it might be travel delays for anyone leaving Sunday evening or Monday. After that the storm should be out of the picture. Still, due to the unpredictable nature of tropical systems I would keep a close eye on the storm throughout the whole weekend and I'd bring a raincoat (I'd bring a raincoat anyways since it storms every afternoon during the summer in FL). And surely the tournament officials will also keep track of the storm and have plans for us in case the situation turns nasty.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Tropical storm what? Jeez, I reckon we tournament officials aren't really keeping track, as I hadn't even heard of this. Of course, I sat through three hurricanes last September (losing a wall, a screen enclosure, an outdoor wetbar, etc.), so like many Central Floridians, I'm a bit jaded.

Valencia is a FEMA evacuation center, so if Arlene does change course and hit us, you'll be safe! And the other evacuees can form "chimeric teams" (as Dr. Chuck calls them) and play!

Sorry to be so cavalier, but like Mr. Vader, I'm sure we'll be fine. But it does rain all the time in the summer here. A quick check of the local weather predicts 90 degrees Saturday with thunderstorms. The good news is that rain keeps the locals away from Universal/Islands of Adventure, so if you don't mind getting wet, you'll have shorter waits for The Hulk and Duelling Dragons.
pakman044
Rikku

Post by pakman044 »

There is nothing to really worry about. The circulation of Arlene is a piece of junk, it's only has maximum sustained winds in the neighborhood of 40mph, and frankly, I'm not even sure it will survive going over Cuba.

At last check (2pm EDT), Arlene was about 150 miles SSW of the western tip of Cuba with maximum sustained winds of 40mph. As stated earlier, the current NHC track places Arlene going up into the western peninsula area. There's always the chance for some wobble, especially in the gulf, but I haven't studied the dynamical pattern to know what will come into play (nor do I really understand it either).

Some folks in the central and western regions of the Gulf are going to get wet, and while I'm probably one of the last people to be nonchalant about one of these things, there's very little chance of PACE being in trouble.

Patrick King
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Well, I would suggest at least a raincoat or umbrella of some sort, seeing the forecast for Orlando. It's also quite humid though those of you from Houston won't be affected much. :wink:

I'm just amazed that of all the years that PAC has been run that they've never had a weather emergency that I recall.

At any rate, we go with whatever security instructions that may be given by VCC.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

For scrimmaging purposes I can be reached tonight at 440-724-3697. Just ask for Noah.
Noah Rahman