11/23/13 Sagacity X – Pittsburgh, PA

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
bis17
Lulu

11/23/13 Sagacity X – Pittsburgh, PA

Post by bis17 »

The University of Pittsburgh will be hosting Sagacity X on Saturday, November 23, 2013 in the Cathedral of Learning. All teams must be registered by Saturday, November 9. The fee structure is as follows:

Payment:
$70 for the first team
$60 for the second team
$50 for the third team, etc.

-$10 off your total fee for each working buzzer system brought
-$10 if your team has never attended a tournament sponsored by the University of Pittsburgh
-$10 if you bring a moderator
-$10 if you travelled over 200 miles to attend

Format:

We will be following official NAQT rules and will be using Packet Set 132. You may enter as many teams from your school as you wish. Up to six students may play for a single team during the course of the tournament, but only four may play at one time. Players may not switch from one of their school’s teams to another during the course of the tournament.

If you have any questions, please e-mail us at [email protected] and we'll be glad to help!

Here are stats, for those who want to see them.
Last edited by bis17 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Brandon Sherman
Tournament Director
University of Pittsburgh
[email protected]
Cheynem
Sin

Re: 11/23/13 Sagacity X – Pittsburgh, PA

Post by Cheynem »

What tournament is this?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Probably a NAQT IS set.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
bis17
Lulu

Post by bis17 »

It is an NAQT tournament. We are not yet sure exactly what packet set we'll be using, but we'll let you guys know as soon as we find out.
Brandon Sherman
Tournament Director
University of Pittsburgh
[email protected]
dollmi
Lulu

Post by dollmi »

Could you please look at the date of other PA tournaments when picking a date? This happened in the spring and again now. Phoenixville is also having a tournament on this date.

There really aren't that many PA tournaments. Actually, I can count the number of announced tournaments on one hand at this point. We need to encourage more teams in the state to play good quiz bowl rather than force them to pick between two events. Even though they are at opposite ends of the state, there are teams that would travel to both.
Missy Doll-Osterhout
Coach, Manheim Township High School
bis17
Lulu

Post by bis17 »

I apologize for the conflict, but it was the only date we were able to do. Room reservations make things complicated, as always, because we can only reserve rooms right at the beginning of the semester and Cathedral of Learning rooms tend to be reserved really quickly for other weekend events. The belated date was also chosen because our members often have other conflicts and finalizing a date that far in the future ensured that they would not make other commitments.
Brandon Sherman
Tournament Director
University of Pittsburgh
[email protected]
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

If room reservations at the Cathedral of Learning are at a premium, aren't there other buildings on campus that could be possibly used? I was a freshman when we went to Battle of the Burgh in 2011 (UPitt's spring tournament), and the experience at the Cathedral of Learning certainly lived up to its hype, but it's not a venue that would particularly "make or break" whether my team would come or not. In fact, a big factor to what has kept Fisher from attending UPitt tournaments in recent memory has been the fact that we don't know anything about the tournaments; what date it is, what set, etc until it becomes difficult to near impossible to make arrangements.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
bis17
Lulu

Post by bis17 »

We did consider that. There are other buildings, but unfortunately, there is no way to reserve enough rooms for most of them using Pitt's online system. I'm looking at possible reservations right now and our alternate options are one giant lecture hall in David Lawrence Hall, a ballroom, dining room, and two conference rooms in the O'Hara Student Center, a few rooms in the William Pitt Union (but they would be scattered all over the place and lead to a logistic nightmare), and one room in Posvar Hall.

We actually discussed using Victoria Hall as an alternate venue in the past, but there's no way to reserve rooms there.

EDIT: We just received word that we will be using packet set 132, for those who asked. The original post has been updated with this information.
Brandon Sherman
Tournament Director
University of Pittsburgh
[email protected]
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

How about a field update for this?
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15
bis17
Lulu

Post by bis17 »

Sure!

We're currently at 23 teams. They are from Delaware Valley (2), Brashear (2), Camp Hill (1), State College (2), Fisher Catholic (2), Laurel Highlands (1), Chartiers Valley (2), Winchester Thurston (2), Pine-Richland (1), Penn-Trafford (2), Saegertown (1), South Side (1), and Keystone Oaks (4).
Brandon Sherman
Tournament Director
University of Pittsburgh
[email protected]
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

How did this go?
Andrew Nadig

Magritte's Pipe
Lulu

Post by Magritte's Pipe »

It was a very well run tournament that my team enjoyed playing in immensely.

I can't tell you all the standings (we finished somewhere around 7th out of 25 teams), but the real story of the tournament was a deep Fisher Catholic team beating Winchester-Thurston (led by the ever impressive Nathaniel Brodsky) in the final.

Other than that, I'm waiting with interest for the exact scores and stats to be released.
Andrew Gianelli
Lancaster Catholic '00
Coach, Camp Hill High School Quiz Bowl Team
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Magritte's Pipe wrote:It was a very well run tournament that my team enjoyed playing in immensely.

I can't tell you all the standings (we finished somewhere around 7th out of 25 teams), but the real story of the tournament was a deep Fisher Catholic team beating Winchester-Thurston (led by the ever impressive Nathaniel Brodsky) in the final.

Other than that, I'm waiting with interest for the exact scores and stats to be released.
Coach Gianelli - thanks for the kind words! We too enjoyed the tournament put on by the U Pitt club (I'm assuming there were several members of the CMU team that helped out too) and Dwight Kidder. We got to play I think 11 (or was it 12? staaaaaats will answer that question!) games and got out a reasonable time.

I'm glad we got the chance to play Winchester Thurston in the final. With no disrespect intended towards the other PA teams that attend SAGACITY, we knew Winchester was a Pittsburgh school that had a very solid team, led by arguably one of the nation's top players in "Brodsky", and that finals game alone I felt was well worth giving up my Friday and Saturday nights for. Kudos to the Winchester Thurston program - some of the chillest kids I've met in quiz bowl and it was a pleasure getting to talk to Coach Hallas before and after the match. I'd say there's a lot of respect Fisher Cath quiz bowl has for Winchester, and if anyone from the program is reading this, I know we'd certainly like to see you guys come to tournaments in Ohio! Until then, "See you in Chicago!"
Thomas Moore
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Is there any word when staaaaaaats will be posted? I'm eager to see how our B team did. That, and I think there were a few schools here that'd make the "MaxFreds" rankings.
Thomas Moore
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

Mr. Scogan wrote:Is there any word when staaaaaaats will be posted? I'm eager to see how our B team did. That, and I think there were a few schools here that'd make the "MaxFreds" rankings.
I have privately contacted Brandon about this. I will let everyone know what's going on if I hear back.
Andrew Nadig

bis17
Lulu

Post by bis17 »

Sorry for the delay with the Stats! Ryan (Pitt's quiz bowl team president) submitted the Stats but they're taking a bit to go up because of the holiday. I'll post a link here once they're up.
Brandon Sherman
Tournament Director
University of Pittsburgh
[email protected]
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Forgot a few a's there, Jeff.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
bis17
Lulu

Post by bis17 »

Thanks Jeff! I was just about to post that link. I'll put the link in my original post.
Brandon Sherman
Tournament Director
University of Pittsburgh
[email protected]