National Small Schools

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
quizbowllee
Auron

National Small Schools

Post by quizbowllee »

With the creation of the inaugural SSNCT, I thought it was appropriate to discuss the following:

1) What Small Schools (using NAQT's definition) are really good?
2) Which Small Schools plan to attend the SSNCT, the HSNCT, or both?
3) Which of these teams are most likely to win SSNCT?

For our (West Point's) part, it looks like we will be attending SSNCT, for which we have qualified. We will also attend the HSNCT if we qualify in time. I wouldn't say that we necessarily have a good shot at winning SSNCT, but I think we can be competitive. Also, our A-team has no seniors, so I anticipate a serious run at the SSNCT title next year.

As for HSNCT, if we qualify, our goal will be to make the playoffs this year. That's a pretty lofty goal in and of itself.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
mithokie
Rikku

Re: National Small Schools

Post by mithokie »

In Virginia, the top small schools are undoubtedly George Mason HS and Honaker HS. I believe that George Mason graduated some strong players from last year's team. Honaker has Jacob back which will make them extremely competitive. Honaker has not ever attended a national tournament. If they were to attend this year, they would be in the discussion as one of the top small school teams nationally.
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Hallsville is the top small school in Missouri, and is returning all of their B team, which finished (unless I'm remembering this wrong) T-5th in small school last year. I have no idea which of SSNCT or HSNCT they'll try to attend, though.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:Hallsville is the top small school in Missouri, and is returning all of their B team, which finished (unless I'm remembering this wrong) T-5th in small school last year. I have no idea which of SSNCT or HSNCT they'll try to attend, though.
Hallsville B was undoubtedly the better of their two teams last year.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

merv1618 wrote:
The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:Hallsville is the top small school in Missouri, and is returning all of their B team, which finished (unless I'm remembering this wrong) T-5th in small school last year. I have no idea which of SSNCT or HSNCT they'll try to attend, though.
Hallsville B was undoubtedly the better of their two teams last year.
...That's why I said they returned all of their B team that finished T-5th in the Small School Standings last year.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

Beachwood and South Range look to be contenders for small school.

edit: and if they fall under the enrollment guidelines for NAQT's small school definition, I would expect Bexley to make a splash.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018