Schools that have Quiz Bowl as an elective credit?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
bruins4life
Kimahri

Schools that have Quiz Bowl as an elective credit?

Post by bruins4life »

I'm trying to see if there are schools that have Quiz Bowl (and other academic activities like Science Olympiad, Math Team, etc) built into the school day for some sort of elective credit. Recently, my school has changed its start time and all of these activities are suffering because students because sponsors do not want to stay at school until 5:30 or 6pm regularly.

Do any of you know of any schools that do this? If so could you list the school district and high school in this thread? Thanks!
Greg Irwin
Rock Bridge HS Coach
Truman State University 2004, 2006
the return of AHAN
Auron

Re: Schools that have Quiz Bowl as an elective credit?

Post by the return of AHAN »

In my final year at my previous school district (I teach middle school), I had an Advisory Class consisting solely of the 8th graders who were planning to play scholastic bowl. So we had practice daily before lunch, but still had some after-school practices, too.

Did I mention we came out of nowhere to take 2nd in state that year? :cool:
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

To be honest, this always kind of bothered me. School should be used to educate students, not help in them in an academic competition, that yes, can potentially educate them. Just imagine how outraged you'd be if football players got to have a "study hall" in the weight room for the 1st semester. It's inherently unfair for schools like mine that have pretty strict rules in regard to types of things you can do during the free hour.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Pendit76 wrote:To be honest, this always kind of bothered me. School should be used to educate students, not help in them in an academic competition, that yes, can potentially educate them. Just imagine how outraged you'd be if football players got to have a "study hall" in the weight room for the 1st semester. It's inherently unfair for schools like mine that have pretty strict rules in regard to types of things you can do during the free hour.
Lots of football teams organize it so that their players all have the same study hall, usually late in the day, that can be used to lift or whatever else coaches deem necessary. It's not an uncommon thing.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Inkana7 wrote:
Pendit76 wrote:To be honest, this always kind of bothered me. School should be used to educate students, not help in them in an academic competition, that yes, can potentially educate them. Just imagine how outraged you'd be if football players got to have a "study hall" in the weight room for the 1st semester. It's inherently unfair for schools like mine that have pretty strict rules in regard to types of things you can do during the free hour.
Lots of football teams organize it so that their players all have the same study hall, usually late in the day, that can be used to lift or whatever else coaches deem necessary. It's not an uncommon thing.
Doesn't meant it should happen. I just think it's unfair.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Schmidt Sting Pain Index
Wakka

Post by Schmidt Sting Pain Index »

Pendit76 wrote:
Inkana7 wrote:
Doesn't meant it should happen. I just think it's unfair.
I don't really get your point. Don't most schools have Gym-related elective classes (i.e. Weight Lifting) that athletes are obviously more likely to take? And in free period???? Shouldn't you be able to do whatever you want in free period? What's wrong with me reading questions to my teammates if we have the same free period? I don't really see what you are trying to say... Are you suggesting that I should only be able to do my school-work during the school day?
TWO-TIME HSNCT PARTICIPANT
TWO-TIME NSC PARTICIPANT
THREE-TIME NHBB PARTICIPANT
Varun Wadhwa
Charter School of Wilmington '15
University of Delaware (2013-)
Newark, DE
aescandell
Lulu

Post by aescandell »

Speaking as someone from Texas, I'm shocked at the idea that there are schools which don't have football athletics classes. :grin:

I think the objection to a class period dedicated to competition is a little silly. It's not like schools offer programs like athletics or academic competitions for no reason. They offer them because it's an important part of young people's growth. There's no reason why they are inherently less worthy than some other imaginable elective. Would it be unfair if students in a band class prepared for some band competition, or if you used art prepared in art class to compete in an art competition? If you called your quizbowl class "The History of Civilization -- a broad overview" instead of "Quizbowl Prep" would it change your mind about the class even if all of the content was the same?

I think a class where literally all you did was practice by playing quizbowl matches would not be terribly interesting or helpful. But I think there is potential in the idea if you were reasonably creative with it. So while my school doesn't currently offer quizbowl as an elective it's something we've talked about potentially doing in the future.
Adam Escandell
LASA
Harmony Science Academy - North Austin Quizbowl Coach 2011-2015
University of Texas 2006
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

aescandell wrote:Speaking as someone from Texas, I'm shocked at the idea that there are schools which don't have football athletics classes. :grin:

I think the objection to a class period dedicated to competition is a little silly. It's not like schools offer programs like athletics or academic competitions for no reason. They offer them because it's an important part of young people's growth. There's no reason why they are inherently less worthy than some other imaginable elective. Would it be unfair if students in a band class prepared for some band competition, or if you used art prepared in art class to compete in an art competition? If you called your quizbowl class "The History of Civilization -- a broad overview" instead of "Quizbowl Prep" would it change your mind about the class even if all of the content was the same?

I think a class where literally all you did was practice by playing quizbowl matches would not be terribly interesting or helpful. But I think there is potential in the idea if you were reasonably creative with it. So while my school doesn't currently offer quizbowl as an elective it's something we've talked about potentially doing in the future.
I disagree with it because it's inherently unfair to schools that don't offer it. Quizbowl isn't a job, it's a hobby, and it's not part of an academic discipline, therefore it should not be a class. If you have a study hall and your friend, who plays Quizbowl, is in that study hall, go ahead and study. Read a packet--or do whatever. I just see a lot of teams that are bad because they can't practice enough, and treat quizbowl like Science Olympiad or mathcounts, or academic decathlon. Quizbowl is at the point where you have to prepare, study, plan, etc. The limiting of practice time to 5 days a week after school levels the playing field, because if there was a real quizbowl class, then it would have a lot more money, could go on field trips, would have homework (forced studying), and you would earn a grade for literally practicing a hobby. I'm all for people learning things, and I consider QB an excellent starting point, but at some point, academic classes should be favored, and quizbowl, while academic in nature, is not part of a dicipline.

You're also talking to the person who doesn't believe that athletics should be tied to the school at all. I think they should only be run through clubs and fitness organizations. My opinion on education is very out there, and my ideal school would seem hellish to most.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired