NY NASAT tryouts

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
marianna
Rikku

NY NASAT tryouts

Post by marianna »

HSAPQ will be hosting their annual NASAT at Ohio State on 6/14-6/15. New York has historically sent a team of 6 each year, determined by tryout. Last year, the NY team consisted of Irit Huq-Kuruvilla (Ithaca), Wilton Rao (Hunter), Max Servetas (North Babylon), Alec Vulfson (Irvington), Cyrus Zhou (GNS), and myself (Hunter).

Tryouts will be held online via Google Hangouts Skype, so we can gather far-flung players in the state. Tryouts will be held in two parts: a mandatory session on Sun 5/18, and an option between Thurs 5/8 and Thurs 5/15 sessions. Players must attend both parts to be considered. We plan on using DRAGOON, a regular-difficulty college set, and Wilton Rao and Auroni Gupta have generously offered to moderate. Last year, we tracked stats by category on Google Docs, and looked at a combination of tossup and bonus performance to determine our final roster of 6 people.

Last year, we traveled to NASAT by coordinating van transportation with the NJ team.

If you're interested or know anyone interested in trying out for the NY team, post below or PM me, and I can add you to the email thread.

People trying out (7 total)
Lucia Geng (GNS)
Chris Hillenbrand (Regis)
Jensen Lo (Ithaca)
Brent Morden (Hunter)
Albert Tai (Hunter)
Casey Wetherbee (Ithaca)
Aryeh Zax (Ithaca)

EDIT (4/23): Courtesy of Billy Busse and the Illinois team, we'll be using DRAGOON.
EDIT (4/27): Dates! And more people! Also, migration to Skype.
EDIT (5/7, 5/12): A couple drops.
Last edited by marianna on Sat May 17, 2014 12:24 am, edited 14 times in total.
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
Hunter '14 | Chicago '18 | Stanford '24
PACE
czheng0708
Lulu

Re: NY NASAT tryouts

Post by czheng0708 »

Can I play but not be considered for a spot? I'm taking my ACTs
Christopher Zheng
Great Neck South High School '15
University of California, Berkeley '19
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Post by The Polebarn Hotel »

czheng0708 wrote:Can I play but not be considered for a spot? I'm taking my ACTs
I feel like allowing this would probably take away from the other players actually trying to make a place - especially considering that your specialties may conflict with some players and not others.

I will communicate this with my teammates and I will let you know as soon as I can about whether or not more Ithaca students will be interested.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
czheng0708
Lulu

Post by czheng0708 »

Crazyflight wrote:
czheng0708 wrote:Can I play but not be considered for a spot? I'm taking my ACTs
I feel like allowing this would probably take away from the other players actually trying to make a place - especially considering that your specialties may conflict with some players and not others.
I did this last year and I assumed it didn't cause too much of a problem for Hunter. I personally don't see it as a problem because I haven't been able to get tossups on the collegiate level at a regular consistency like many other people that are going to be trying out. I told Marianna this last year and I'll say the same again this year, if it's too much of a hassle and I'm creating chaos, then I'm fine not playing at all. But, it's always nice to play against the better players of a circuit on a harder difficulty in order to get better as practice. So yeah, if you and the rest of the people trying out are against playing just for practice, I won't play.
Christopher Zheng
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Post by The Polebarn Hotel »

czheng0708 wrote:
Crazyflight wrote:
I did this last year and I assumed it didn't cause too much of a problem for Hunter. I personally don't see it as a problem because I haven't been able to get tossups on the collegiate level at a regular consistency like many other people that are going to be trying out. I told Marianna this last year and I'll say the same again this year, if it's too much of a hassle and I'm creating chaos, then I'm fine not playing at all. But, it's always nice to play against the better players of a circuit on a harder difficulty in order to get better as practice. So yeah, if you and the rest of the people trying out are against playing just for practice, I won't play.
I feel like it isn't the right time/place to be doing practice. I don't know how it worked last year because I didn't participate, but I don't know how it could without being a little bit detrimental to the trying out aspect, which is what the whole thing is for. There are other practice opportunities.

additional concern: I may or may not be playing in a tournament that is using MUT. I'm not sure if you were planning on using it or not, but I hope not so I'd be able to both tryout and play in the tournament.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
marianna
Rikku

Post by marianna »

Crazyflight wrote:
czheng0708 wrote:
Crazyflight wrote: I feel like allowing this would probably take away from the other players actually trying to make a place - especially considering that your specialties may conflict with some players and not others.
I feel like it isn't the right time/place to be doing practice. I don't know how it worked last year because I didn't participate, but I don't know how it could without being a little bit detrimental to the trying out aspect, which is what the whole thing is for. There are other practice opportunities.
I agree with Casey; I think it would be best to limit tryouts to those who can attend NASAT to lessen specific shadowing, lag, moderator load. Shadowing within specific categories is especially a problem since we're planning a head-to-head on tossups across the entire distribution. Sorry, Chris.

Thanks to Billy Busse and the Illinois team for letting us use DRAGOON for tryouts, which will avoid the potential MUT conflict.
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
PACE
czheng0708
Lulu

Post by czheng0708 »

I just don't feel like I'm really going to change the final stats of it so much, so I don't really see shadowing as such a huge problem. But okay, I'll respect your decision. Hopefully, I can play next year.
Christopher Zheng
marianna
Rikku

Post by marianna »

Tryouts will be happening in two parts on Skype. One part will be a mandatory session on Sunday 5/18 moderated by Auroni Gupta, and for the other part, players have a choice between Thursdays 5/8 and 5/15 sessions moderated by Wilton Rao. Players must attend both parts to be considered.

EDIT: We've migrated to Skype now because of Hangout caps. Auroni will be reading on Sunday.
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
PACE
marianna
Rikku

Post by marianna »

A number of people have dropped, leaving us with 6 5 3 4 people, who will automatically comprise the NASAT team. Congrats to these players.

Lucia Geng (GNS)
Chris Hillenbrand (Regis)
Allan Lee (GNS)
Albert Tai (Hunter)

EDIT (5/19): Casey has withdrawn because of scheduling conflicts.
EDIT (6/10): Aryeh and Brent too.
EDIT (6/12): Allan is joining the team.
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
PACE