Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Locked

Which is correct?

quizbowl
117
71%
quiz bowl
47
29%
 
Total votes: 164

User avatar
bmcke
Wakka
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:47 pm

Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by bmcke » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:08 pm

I really want to learn / decide on a correct spelling, here. One spelling is more common in the media. Another spelling is in the header of these forums.
Brendan McKendy
Secretary for Ontario Quizbowl Association
University of Ottawa 2011

User avatar
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year
Posts: 2276
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:57 am
Location: Richmond

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by Cody » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:23 pm

quizbowl.
Cody Voight, VCU ‘14. I wrote lots of science and am an electrical engineer.
VCU Tournament Director ‘13-‘17. HSAPQ President ‘15-16.
Hero of Socialist Quizbowl Labor (NSC ‘14). “esteemed colleague” of Snap Wexley, ca. 2016. Stats Hero (Nats ‘16).
Quizbowl at VCU

User avatar
AKKOLADE
Sin
Posts: 15207
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 am

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by AKKOLADE » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:01 pm

quiz bowl
Fred Morlan
PACE President, 2018-19
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
hsqbrank manager, NAQT writer (former subject editor), former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator, 2012 NASAT TD

User avatar
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron
Posts: 1549
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:14 pm
Location: MD

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:44 pm

The Quizbowl Tribune stylebook has always maintained that "Quizbowl" is one word, and is unnecessarily capitalized.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again

User avatar
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator
Posts: 4024
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:28 pm
Location: Minneapolis
Contact:

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by Auks Ran Ova » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:45 pm

My preferred spelling is, and always has been, xXxQuIzBoWl420xXx.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT

User avatar
The Time Keeper
Auron
Posts: 1541
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:26 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by The Time Keeper » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:56 pm

As long as it isn't Aerith.
Pat Freeburn - No particular affiliation.

User avatar
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 5649
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:00 am

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by theMoMA » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:53 pm

The NAQT style guide mandates staunch "quiz bowl" partisanship. Most newer circuit folks go with "quizbowl." Hopefully we can all come together with peace, love, and a mutual understanding that "quiz-bowl" is just dumb, and that hyphens should be reserved almost entirely for compound adjectives that don't include -ly adverbs, and that this is super serious business, and that anyone who disagrees should be shouted down until they go away.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum

ScoBo
Wakka
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:05 pm
Location: Kansas City area
Contact:

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by ScoBo » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:26 pm

I was originally more with the "quiz bowl" camp, but since we founded the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance I've pretty much exclusively used quizbowl, to the point where I frequently find myself typing "quizb" before I realize that wasn't the word starting with "qu" I wanted to type. Of course, I was never a member of a "quiz bowl" program - it was "scholar bowl" in high school and "ACO" (Academic Competition Organization) in college, so I wasn't too attached to the space.
Jeffrey Hill • Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president • UMR/Missouri S&T 2009 • Liberty (MO) 2005
Post your tournaments, SQBS reports, and question sets to the Quizbowl Resource Center Database!

alexdz
Rikku
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:29 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by alexdz » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:08 am

Like Jeff, I've been a "quiz bowl" person for a while. But being involved in MOQBA has led me to become accepting of the "quizbowl" community as well.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Coach, Harcum College (PA)
====
Former midwesterner (South Callaway - Mizzou - UIUC) coping with life on the east coast.

User avatar
Rococo A Go Go
Auron
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:08 am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by Rococo A Go Go » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:13 am

I am a big fan of the quiz bowl. It is a nice bowl.

*I think I exclusively use quizbowl. It's easier and is more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.
Nick Conder
Louisville, KY

"Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free."--Eugene V. Debs

User avatar
Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin
Wakka
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:51 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:42 am

The only reason I use the space in tournament announcements/emails/for checks is that the club is actually called "Vanderbilt Quiz Bowl" on our website, and many coaches here call the game "quiz bowl". I am, however, a quizbowler.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13

User avatar
dxdtdemon
Rikku
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:46 pm
Location: Beavercreek, OH

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by dxdtdemon » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:29 pm

theMoMA wrote:The NAQT style guide mandates staunch "quiz bowl" partisanship. Most newer circuit folks go with "quizbowl." Hopefully we can all come together with peace, love, and a mutual understanding that "quiz-bowl" is just dumb, and that hyphens should be reserved almost entirely for compound adjectives that don't include -ly adverbs, and that this is super serious business, and that anyone who disagrees should be shouted down until they go away.
Except in French, where it should be called "le quiz-bowl"
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
moderator/scorekeeper at some tournaments in Ohio, and sometimes elsewhere
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego

User avatar
Galadedrid Damodred
Wakka
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 4:58 pm

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by Galadedrid Damodred » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:41 pm

I use quizbowl or Quiz Bowl interchangeably, but I prefer quizbowl because you can use it as a verb. I don't like splitting it into two words without capitalizing.
Austin Brownlow
Louisville '14, Stanford '16

User avatar
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:51 pm
Location: Ithaca, NY

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by The Polebarn Hotel » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:17 pm

I instinctively type "quiz bowl," but it honestly doesn't make a difference.
As for the other usage, I just say ballin and baller/balla[h] when describing it. Quizbowling and quizbowler sound terrible to me.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer

User avatar
heterodyne
Rikku
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:47 am

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by heterodyne » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:30 pm

Crazyflight wrote: As for the other usage, I just say ballin and baller/balla[h] when describing it.
This does have the unfortunate side effect of making you sound like a total tool.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
he/him/his or they/them/their

User avatar
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:51 pm
Location: Ithaca, NY

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by The Polebarn Hotel » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:14 pm

Turner Island wrote:
Crazyflight wrote: As for the other usage, I just say ballin and baller/balla[h] when describing it.
This does have the unfortunate side effect of making you sound like a total tool.
how to respond
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer

Joshua Rutsky
Tidus
Posts: 587
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:59 am
Location: Hoover, AL

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by Joshua Rutsky » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:09 pm

Logic would imply that since we don't play in the Rosebowl or the Orangebowl, we don't play quizbowl, either. The bowl half of the phrase is, I would assume, referring to the prize would be awarded for the competition, and quiz is the adjective describing it.

But heck, I'm from Alabama, and we play that there Scholars Bowl game, not some highflaootin' quiz thingywhatsit. 'Sides, we can't agree on whether there's an apostrophe in Scholars.
Joshua Rutsky
Coach, Hoover High School, Hoover, AL
Member of the Qwiz Team!

Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:23 pm

Yes, but we don't call HSNCT/NSC/ICT/Nats the Quiz Bowl, and nor do we call the game played with a strangely shaped "ball" Foot Ball.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14

User avatar
zachary_yan
Lulu
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:56 pm

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by zachary_yan » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:25 pm

wikipedia wrote:Although there is no universally agreed-upon guideline regarding the use of compound words in the English language, in recent decades written English has displayed a noticeable trend towards increased use of compounds. Recently, many words have been made by taking syllables of words and compounding them, such as pixel (picture element) and bit (binary digit). This is called a syllabic abbreviation.
I guess it also looks like "quibowl" might become the word of choice in the future...
Wayzata '13
St. Olaf College
Wayzata middle schools assistant

User avatar
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:51 pm
Location: Ithaca, NY

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by The Polebarn Hotel » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:37 pm

zachary_yan wrote:
wikipedia wrote:Although there is no universally agreed-upon guideline regarding the use of compound words in the English language, in recent decades written English has displayed a noticeable trend towards increased use of compounds. Recently, many words have been made by taking syllables of words and compounding them, such as pixel (picture element) and bit (binary digit). This is called a syllabic abbreviation.
I guess it also looks like "quibowl" might become the word of choice in the future...
Although in all seriousness, quizbowl is a thing and should be stopped.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer

Angry Babies in Love
Yuna
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:09 pm
Location: MD//DC

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by Angry Babies in Love » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:49 pm

Crazyflight wrote:
zachary_yan wrote:
wikipedia wrote:Although there is no universally agreed-upon guideline regarding the use of compound words in the English language, in recent decades written English has displayed a noticeable trend towards increased use of compounds. Recently, many words have been made by taking syllables of words and compounding them, such as pixel (picture element) and bit (binary digit). This is called a syllabic abbreviation.
I guess it also looks like "quibowl" might become the word of choice in the future...
Although in all seriousness, quizbowl is a thing and should be stopped.
I am a very strong believer in quizbowl over quiz bowl, but that pales in comparison to my hatred and disgust towards quizbowl.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl

User avatar
Large Adult Song
Lulu
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:48 pm
Location: Ridgewood, New Jersey

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by Large Adult Song » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:58 pm

NickConderWKU wrote:It's easier and is more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.
Agreed. Also, "quizbowl" conveniently leads to terms such as quizbowling, quizbowler, etc.

What I've noticed is that many outsiders to quizbowl refer to it as "Quiz Bowl" with caps and space. I don't think there should be any caps whether there is a space or not, just like any other untrademarked game. "Foot Ball" and "Water Polo" just seem very awkward, as does "Quiz Bowl".
David Song

Ben Franklin MS 2011-13
Ridgewood HS 2011-13
Bergen County Academies '17
Princeton '21

Capitoline
Lulu
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:33 pm

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by Capitoline » Thu May 01, 2014 6:36 pm

I use "quizbowl" as an adjective and "quiz bowl" as a noun. This site is the Quizbowl Resource Center. I played quiz bowl.

This would seem to address both the Rose Bowl and "two-word adjectives are awkward" grammatical arguments.
Ben Cushing
Phoenixville '14
Penn '18

User avatar
zachary_yan
Lulu
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:56 pm

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by zachary_yan » Sun May 04, 2014 7:39 pm

Iphone auto correct reverts "quizbowl" into two words, which annoys me to no end. Google also suggests "quiz bowl" to a search query the other way and there is also no way to search for an exact string of "quizbowl".

"Quizbowl" seems to be used only by good quizbowl partisans.
Wayzata '13
St. Olaf College
Wayzata middle schools assistant

User avatar
jonpin
Forums Staff: Moderator
Posts: 2026
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:45 pm
Location: BCA NJ / WUSTL MO / Hackensack NJ

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by jonpin » Mon May 05, 2014 8:08 am

Joshua Rutsky wrote:Logic would imply that since we don't play in the Rosebowl or the Orangebowl, we don't play quizbowl, either. The bowl half of the phrase is, I would assume, referring to the prize would be awarded for the competition, and quiz is the adjective describing it.

But heck, I'm from Alabama, and we play that there Scholars Bowl game, not some highflaootin' quiz thingywhatsit. 'Sides, we can't agree on whether there's an apostrophe in Scholars.
The "Bowl" in "Rose Bowl", etc. is actually referring to the bowl shape of the stadium (or at least that is the origin of the term).
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov

User avatar
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:25 pm
Location: Pickerington, OH

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! » Mon May 05, 2014 10:01 am

jonpin wrote:
Joshua Rutsky wrote:Logic would imply that since we don't play in the Rosebowl or the Orangebowl, we don't play quizbowl, either. The bowl half of the phrase is, I would assume, referring to the prize would be awarded for the competition, and quiz is the adjective describing it.

But heck, I'm from Alabama, and we play that there Scholars Bowl game, not some highflaootin' quiz thingywhatsit. 'Sides, we can't agree on whether there's an apostrophe in Scholars.
The "Bowl" in "Rose Bowl", etc. is actually referring to the bowl shape of the stadium (or at least that is the origin of the term).
And to make things even more semantically interesting/frustrating, there was also the old Miami Hurricanes stadium known as the "Orange Bowl"!
Turner Island wrote:
Crazyflight wrote: As for the other usage, I just say ballin and baller/balla[h] when describing it.
This does have the unfortunate side effect of making you sound like a total tool.
But of course, there's always a way not to sound like a tool... (don't act like a total tool!)
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018

User avatar
naesorman555
Lulu
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by naesorman555 » Fri May 16, 2014 3:57 pm

i usually use quizbowl for informal things and talking to other quizbowlers and quiz bowl for formal stuff and people not familiar with it, not really sure why
Sean Moran
Hoover High School Quiz Bowl player (2009-2013)
Hoover High School Assistant coach (2013-present)
Birmingham-Southern College Class of 2017

Halved Xenon Stinging
Wakka
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:31 pm

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by Halved Xenon Stinging » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:11 pm

Strange Fascination wrote:
Crazyflight wrote:
zachary_yan wrote:
wikipedia wrote:Although there is no universally agreed-upon guideline regarding the use of compound words in the English language, in recent decades written English has displayed a noticeable trend towards increased use of compounds. Recently, many words have been made by taking syllables of words and compounding them, such as pixel (picture element) and bit (binary digit). This is called a syllabic abbreviation.
I guess it also looks like "quibowl" might become the word of choice in the future...
Although in all seriousness, quizbowl is a thing and should be stopped.
I am a very strong believer in quizbowl over quiz bowl, but that pales in comparison to my hatred and disgust towards quizbowl.
Death to quizbowl
Devin Shang
Lexington High School Co-Captain '16
Pomona '20
2016 National History Bee Runner-Up, 2016 National History Bowl Runner-Up
NAQT Writer
NHBB Writer

Halved Xenon Stinging
Wakka
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:31 pm

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by Halved Xenon Stinging » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:53 pm

This thread no longer makes any sense because apparently "q u b o" now automatically turns into "quizbowl"
Devin Shang
Lexington High School Co-Captain '16
Pomona '20
2016 National History Bee Runner-Up, 2016 National History Bowl Runner-Up
NAQT Writer
NHBB Writer

User avatar
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator
Posts: 4024
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:28 pm
Location: Minneapolis
Contact:

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by Auks Ran Ova » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:24 pm

Shangdevin wrote:This thread no longer makes any sense because apparently "q u b o" now automatically turns into "quizbowl"
All is well.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT

Locked