HSQBRank 2014-15

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: HSQBRank 2014-15

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

Just to clarify, Bloomington loses Staeliam Schipper-Reyes, Sam Doud, and Nathaniel Smith. Sam was not with us at PACE, Nathaniel didn't play much at HSNCT.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

Post by Helmuth von Moltke »

Johnson Central lost their top history and science competitors in myself and Clay Davenport, and their primary math competitor in Dalton Hopper. Everyone else is returning, as far as I know.
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
ndikkala
Lulu

Post by ndikkala »

I'm not sure if you don't have data on us or if we don't fall in the top 200 :sad:, but I was wondering if GSMST is a part of this ranking system. Also if we are, we lose Viral (Virgil) Shah, our former top player/captain. I don't think BISB 2013 stats went up anywhere but we got second place there. We also placed 3rd in 3A GATA State. I wanted to add the P/B numbers for the tournaments we went to that reported these numbers. In ATTACK III, we were 8th after prelims with a 15.95 P/B, and at GATA we had a 20.05 P/B. For the prelims of BISB we had a 16.63 P/B, and we went on to get 2nd place, but I don't have stats on playoffs.
GSMST '15
Communications Officer
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

You weren't in the pre-nationals top 200, so you won't be featured in these write ups. If your team performs well enough this season, they'll make it into the rankings regardless of their pre-season projection.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
Corry
Rikku

Post by Corry »

Dr. Loki Skylizard, Thoracic Surgeon wrote:http://hsqbrank.com/2014/08/27/2014-15- ... -seveteen/
Actually, Canyon Crest Academy only graduates one top scorer, Oliver. Varkey is a sophomore and Nathan is a junior this year.
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

this is what i bring to the table: 100% accuracy
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Corry wrote:
Dr. Loki Skylizard, Thoracic Surgeon wrote:http://hsqbrank.com/2014/08/27/2014-15- ... -seveteen/
Actually, Canyon Crest Academy only graduates one top scorer, Oliver. Varkey is a sophomore and Nathan is a junior this year.
Okay, I looked at this and for CCA's best aPPB performance, they lost their top three scorers. I'm fine with their projection.

I did make corrections to part sixteen.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Ridgewood didn't go to HSNCT last year (hence why they missed the playoffs).
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
pajaro bobo
Wakka

Post by pajaro bobo »

Great Bustard wrote:Ridgewood didn't go to HSNCT last year (hence why they missed the playoffs).
Technically, they did. Just not the one from New Jersey.
Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fixed, sorry.
Fred Morlan
coldstonesteveaustin
Wakka

Post by coldstonesteveaustin »

For Westview, it's Aseem. (HSAPQ made the same typo for NASAT for some reason.)

Also, are you intentionally ignoring the performance of teams who go to nationals under pseudonyms?
Hidehiro Anto
Menlo School '14
UCLA '18

"Those who cannot remember 'Black Magic Woman' are condemned to repeat it." - Carlos Santayana
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Hidehiro Anto wrote:For Westview, it's Aseem. (HSAPQ made the same typo for NASAT for some reason.)

Also, are you intentionally ignoring the performance of teams who go to nationals under pseudonyms?
I'm still not a Hardy Boy.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Here's the last part. http://hsqbrank.com/2014/08/30/2014-15- ... nd-twenty/

Preseason top 50 will be up on Monday at 8 a.m.
Fred Morlan
Schmidt Sting Pain Index
Wakka

Post by Schmidt Sting Pain Index »

I don't know who you included in your figure for High Tech, but their team this year should be similar to their 40th place C team at nsc TWO years (http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... etail/#t28). They return their second scorer from their A team and the top generalist on their B team who scored about 50% of the points, along with various other decent players who went to nationals. I would have expected their performance to be projected as sideways or slightly down.
TWO-TIME HSNCT PARTICIPANT
TWO-TIME NSC PARTICIPANT
THREE-TIME NHBB PARTICIPANT
Varun Wadhwa
Charter School of Wilmington '15
University of Delaware (2013-)
Newark, DE
kievanrustic
Lulu
Location: Riverside, IL (Aurora, IL during most of the school year)

Post by kievanrustic »

Fred Morlan's hsqbrank said:
Okay, so this is the most complicated team in this preview. First, they lose their coach Dr. Prince; then, there are whispers that there won’t be a replacement or a team next year. But they return two scorers from their A team and all of their B team, plus they pull in name from Barrington. Plus, the truest representation of their B team is one that would not have been strong enough to make the top 200 last year.

I can’t foresee if teams cease playing quiz bowl; I certainly would hope that’s not the case with IMSA. If they do play, though, I would expect both teams to play very well. B should be top 150 again, at least. A could be top 25, but getting definitive at this point with all the question marks is a fool’s errand.
There will most likely be an IMSA squad next year. Nothing is settled yet, but the team has been in contact with a person interested in being the coach, and it seems that this will work out. For what it's worth, IMSA is planning on beginning practices soon.

IMSA will also field a history bowl team.
Andrew Salij
Northwestern University 2024
St. Olaf College 2019
IMSA 2015
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Schmidt Sting Pain Index wrote:I don't know who you included in your figure for High Tech, but their team this year should be similar to their 40th place C team at nsc TWO years (http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... etail/#t28). They return their second scorer from their A team and the top generalist on their B team who scored about 50% of the points, along with various other decent players who went to nationals. I would have expected their performance to be projected as sideways or slightly down.
That sounds nothing like a top 5 or 10 team.
Fred Morlan
Lo, Marathon Ham!
Wakka

Post by Lo, Marathon Ham! »

Dr. Loki Skylizard, Thoracic Surgeon wrote:
Schmidt Sting Pain Index wrote:I don't know who you included in your figure for High Tech, but their team this year should be similar to their 40th place C team at nsc TWO years (http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... etail/#t28). They return their second scorer from their A team and the top generalist on their B team who scored about 50% of the points, along with various other decent players who went to nationals. I would have expected their performance to be projected as sideways or slightly down.
That sounds nothing like a top 5 or 10 team.
Yeah I am not sure about their ability to be a top 5 or 10 team, but I don't agree with the fact that you said they wouldn't see the top 50 again. :lol: That's a pretty funny statement considering what this year's team has already done together in the past.
Mohan Malhotra
The Independence School '12
Charter School of Wilmington '16
New York University '20
Wilmington, DE/New York City, NY
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Yeah, my feeling on High Tech is that they are still likely to be one of the best teams in New Jersey, but I'm not sure our state has any national contenders this year. High Tech and Ridgewood could both be in the 25-50 range, and I fully expect another few in the next fifty. I'm also amused by:
7. Western Albemarle A (VA) – See Eric Xu buzz. See Eric Xu power. See Eric Xu guide WAHS to 2nd at NSC and 4th(?) at HSNCT. See Eric Xu return for next season. Eric Xu good.
Expected season performance: Sideways
Not that I disagree, just "this dude broke all kind of records and basically singlehandedly beat the double champions at each national en route to 2nd place at NSC, and he's back but my prediction is sideways". How could he get even better? How is there even room for that? I'm scared to answer that question.
Side note: WA was actually t-8 at HSNCT.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

jonpin wrote:How could he get even better?
Probably by doing something crazy like dual-enrolling at UVA and getting to play a full slate of college tournaments while learning from Mattbo and Tommy.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The Predictable Consequences wrote:
Probably by doing something crazy like dual-enrolling at UVA and getting to play a full slate of college tournaments while learning from Mattbo and Tommy.
Oh come on, we all know that dual-enrolling in college and playing college tournaments does absolutely nothing to help high school players improve!
Nicholas C
KQBA member
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

Post by Helmuth von Moltke »

NickConderWKU wrote:
The Predictable Consequences wrote:
Oh come on, we all know that dual-enrolling in college and playing college tournaments does absolutely nothing to help high school players improve!
It actually harms them so much that they become ineligible to play in their state league in Kentucky.
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
ndikkala
Lulu

Post by ndikkala »

I loved the writing on that Eric Xu preview. Also, Shub Mehta of Dorman was near-impossible to beat at Ace Camp this year, he should be a significant part of whatever team he's on this year. My friends from Brookwood tell me he's much improved over his performance at Collins Hill in April.
GSMST '15
Communications Officer
ndikkala
Lulu

Post by ndikkala »

Can someone explain what the difference is between the top 200 list for the 2014-15 season preview and the top 50 2014-15 preseason list? Because the rankings were completely different in the two, and there's no explanation of why Brookwood is #36 in the top 50 but #150 in the top 200, since both lists were made preseason.
GSMST '15
Communications Officer
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

The "season preview" list used the top 200 teams from last year's (2013-14) rankings.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Halved Xenon Stinging
Wakka

Post by Halved Xenon Stinging »

The top 200 previews used the rankings from the 2013-2014 season, and predicted whether each team would get better, worse, or stay about the same. The preseason top 50 used the information from the top 200 rankings to roughly predict the top 50 teams this season.
Devin Shang
Lexington High School Co-Captain '16
Pomona '20
2016 National History Bee Runner-Up, 2016 National History Bowl Runner-Up
NAQT Writer
NHBB Writer
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Shangdevin wrote:The top 200 previews used the rankings from the 2013-2014 season, and predicted whether each team would get better, worse, or stay about the same. The preseason top 50 used the information from the top 200 rankings to roughly predict the top 50 teams this season.
Specifically, I used information from the top 200 regarding which players are returning to determine the top 50.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
Insolvency law of Canada
Lulu

Post by Insolvency law of Canada »

High Tech's 23.89 ppb at PHSAT on IS-138 probably deserves a mention.
Patrick LeBlanc
High Technology High School '10-'14
Captain '13-'14
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

It appears that the 2014 Tar Heel Cup Stats were not included. Lots of top teams at this one that should give you some good data.

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... combined/a
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Insolvency law of Canada wrote:High Tech's 23.89 ppb at PHSAT on IS-138 probably deserves a mention.
I somehow combined that with Westview's stat line, creating some kind of nightmarish combination. I'll try to update this this weekend, but HT should be 35th.
Fred Morlan
Lefty734
Lulu

Post by Lefty734 »

I don't understand. We haven't even been to a tournament yet this year.
Nick Pinto
Flowery Branch High School '15
"Rappaccini's Daughters"
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

It's nothing wrong with Flowery Branch or any other team, this is just the start of the process of trying to segue from the preseason rankings to rankings based off of performances, and it's my best attempt to have a top 50 off of the combined information. I don't have enough information to make anything larger than a top 50 worthwhile.
Fred Morlan
KnicksRule
Wakka

Post by KnicksRule »

Just wondering: how does 25.3 ppb on an A set translate into aPPB? Also, I am pretty sure that Lexington only attended 2 tournaments; their last ppb (just 17.32) may be incorrect -- that would mean that the appB from an A set is -9.....
Abhinav Kurada
AMSA Charter School '12-'16
Captain '13-'16
2x winner of United States Geography Olympiad (2013, 2014); USGO International Team Member (2015)
SSNCT Runner-Up (2014); T-21 HSNCT (2015)
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

KnicksRule wrote:Just wondering: how does 25.3 ppb on an A set translate into aPPB? Also, I am pretty sure that Lexington only attended 2 tournaments; their last ppb (just 17.32) may be incorrect -- that would mean that the appB from an A set is -9.....
Note that the italicized numbers indicated pre-season projected aPPB; these values don’t have a real correlation to “actual” aPPBs that will be generated through the 2014-15 season.
(In fairness, it's hard to see what's italicized and what's not.)
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Post by The Polebarn Hotel »

Do these rankings mean that stat adjustments have been made for some sets?
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
Halved Xenon Stinging
Wakka

Post by Halved Xenon Stinging »

Could you explain exactly how you did the rankings, for example Lexington had PPBs of 22.35 and 22.33 yet we are behind teams such as DuPont Manual and Alpharetta who have slightly lower projected PPBs than us
Devin Shang
Lexington High School Co-Captain '16
Pomona '20
2016 National History Bee Runner-Up, 2016 National History Bowl Runner-Up
NAQT Writer
NHBB Writer
zman147
Lulu

Post by zman147 »

I am also wondering if the Tarheel Cup stats were included, as multiple teams had higher PPB's than Dorman and yet Dorman is in this list and they are not.
Ziad Ali
"Anyone can speak Troll, all you have to do is point and grunt."
Early College at Guilford '15
NC State University '19
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

zman147 wrote:I am also wondering if the Tarheel Cup stats were included, as multiple teams had higher PPB's than Dorman and yet Dorman is in this list and they are not.
They weren't.
Shangdevin wrote:Could you explain exactly how you did the rankings, for example Lexington had PPBs of 22.35 and 22.33 yet we are behind teams such as DuPont Manual and Alpharetta who have slightly lower projected PPBs than us
I tried my best to balance projections and actual stats.
Crazyflight wrote:Do these rankings mean that stat adjustments have been made for some sets?
I'm using last year's adjustments for now.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Post by The Polebarn Hotel »

I find it a bit mind-boggling that Bethlehem is placed as low as it is.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
RexSueciae
Tidus

Post by RexSueciae »

Crazyflight wrote:I find it a bit mind-boggling that Bethlehem is placed as low as it is.
These are early-season statistics, and it's a big country.
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

Crazyflight wrote:I find it a bit mind-boggling that Bethlehem is placed as low as it is.
Not especially, considering that we've played all of one tournament and are ranked higher than anyone who was at it.
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

it's really bad for them that these binding rankings are final for the rest of the season
Fred Morlan
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

MORLAN QUIT IT WITH YOUR GRUDGE AGAINST BETHLEHEM AND SCHWEERS
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

The Ununtiable Twine wrote:
MORLAN QUIT IT WITH YOUR GRUDGE AGAINST BETHLEHEM AND SCHWEERS
my anti-(insert whatever branch of catholicism i was accused of hating here) bias means that i hate cistercian, bethlehem central, every school named after a saint, and nitro high school of wv, as students attend that one may live in cross lanes
Fred Morlan
Chef Curry
Lulu

Post by Chef Curry »

Jonathan Franzen wrote:
Not especially, considering that we've played all of one tournament and are ranked higher than anyone who was at it.
Actually, and I might have read this wrong, but I think Wilmington Charter A is ranked higher than Bethlehem as of now.
Ahan Patel
Manheim Township High School '17
Villanova '21