Georgia 2014-15

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
CSQuizJags
Tidus

Georgia 2014-15

Post by CSQuizJags »

This is obviously a work in progress and will change from time to time. If you're outside of Georgia and wish to have your tournament posted on this page, please email gataquizbowl @ gmail.com and we will take care of that for you.

August
2-
9-
16-
23-
30-

September
6- Gwinnett County tournament (NAQT IS Set)
13- Ezell-Harding (TN)
20- Alpharetta JV/MS opener (tentative)
27-

October
4- GATAF North (Flowery Branch) and South
11- SSNCT Mirror at Cedar Shoals (tentative)
18- Walton WAC
25- JV/Novice Jag Bowl (NAQT 141A)

November
1- NEGA NHBB at Cedar Shoals, Savannah Country Day School tournament
8- Collins Hill MS event, ANGST at North GA Dahlonega (tentative pending NAQT packets)
15- Marist Open (possible Harvard mirror)
22- Brookwood BISB

December
6-
13- CATT X

January
3-
10- GATAW North and South
17- MS Jag Bowl/Quizkitten, Dorman Cavalier Challenge (SC)
19- NHBB MLK Day event
24-
31- Bulldog Brawl at Cedar Shoals (NAQT IS set)

February
7- WIT III at Marist (possible SCT DII mirror)
14- Collins Hill Winter/Spring event (LIST mirror)
28- GATA MS State North and South

March
7- GATA JV State and NASAT tryout
14- NHBB State at Newnan HS
21- GATA V State (Collins Hill)
28- Jag Bowl IX (tentative GSAC Mirror)

April
4- EASTER WEEKEND FYI
11- GATA Finest Five/Super Six/Stupendous Seven All State Championship Shebang (still working on the title and packets)*
18- Collins Hill JV Season Ender
25- NHBB in DC

May
3- GATA Board meeting weekend?
10- MSNCT in Dallas
17-
24-
30- HSNCT in Chicago

June
6-
13-

There will be no coaches' conference this year. GATA has decided to alternate years and hold a North and a South conference in 2015 and every odd year after that.

GATAV and JV will have a different format for this year. As a test we will form 5-6 divisions of at the most twelve teams based on overall school size* (not the traditional GHSA classes as we have done in the past). While this won't affect the larger schools as much, it will help the smaller schools, especially in the 2A to 4A range. This will also allow for a more uniform state tournament, where every team will play five prelim games before moving the top 8 to a DEPO. In the past, GATA has run, for all intents and purposes, six different events with different formats, numbers of games, etc. often leading to long days for one class and a short event for others. This format, we hope, will end that and also allow all the divisions (as they will now be called) to congratulate their fellow champions in a more formal trophy ceremony. A few weeks later, these five or six (maybe more as the fields grow) will move on to the Super Six Championship where all teams will play each other for a unified state champion (each of these five or six+ teams will have their own Divisional State Championship and will be considered state champions in that right). If we get positive feedback on this, GATA will vote in May to make it more permanent (with any changes). If not, we will go back to the drawing board.

*The divisions will be formed from the bottom up, meaning if a school registers and is smaller than a school it displaces, that displaced school will move UP and may form a new division. No school can ever be pushed down to a division. Divisions are based on the FTE counts for that school and in the case of private schools, will be based on total enrollment from grades 9-12. Here's how the 2014 GATAV would have looked had we done this format: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Last edited by CSQuizJags on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:43 am, edited 10 times in total.
Cedar Shoals HS Academic Team:
2011, 2012, and 2013 Classic City Academic Team Champions
2014 Region 8-AAAAA Varsity and JV Champions
2013 GATA Class AAAAA JV State Champions
2014 WSB-TV HighQ Tournament Champions
Arthur Banks, Advisor
pajaro bobo
Wakka

Re: Georgia 2014-15

Post by pajaro bobo »

Teams to watch:

Chattahoochee - Going to be the best in the state again, no question. James and Julia graduate and Rountree is leaving to teach/coach elsewhere, which is big, but Nirav returns, and Sahrudh gets to not be an A-team sub. Amith has stepped up his science knowledge, which is big since this team has had a science hole. Their fourth player is yet to be determined, but there's a good chance that it will be Alex Patton, another science player who helped the A team get second at UK Fall last year when Amith didn't go. They still neg a ton (I half-lied last year when I said that they had cut down negs), but that shouldn't be much of an issue at this point. I hear they get some River Trail kids, too. I see them matching or improving on their nationals performances next year.

Alpharetta - They return everybody. Shubhom (the team's leading scorer last year, the only non-senior, and the leader of the team who won JV State) has impressed me, and I'm sure the rest of the A team (some combination of Willie, Nikhil, and Bhanodai I think?) will have stepped up over the summer.

Brookwood - They only graduate Vamsi, but managed to go 5-5 without him at HSNCT. Felix negs a lot but he's a good player, and his supporting cast knows a good bit, too.

Centennial - Justin has teammates, maybe? He's a solid generalist but the three players who sit next to him need to step it up.

Flowery Branch - They made playoffs at HSNCT, are the defending 5A state champs, and return everybody, including Nick Pinto. Like in Centennial's case, his teammates need to step it up, but I remember them being knowing a decent amount already.

Collins Hill - Another case of a solid generalist (Zack) needing more teammate support. They had a surprise second place finish at 6A Varisty State and upset other GA teams throughout the year, but they could use some more consistency.

Westminster - They need to go to more tournaments. They graduate a couple of seniors, notably Tom, but Nilai and Annabel both return, with the former having good history/geo knowledge and the latter having impressive lit/fine arts knowledge. They should show up at more tournaments. Like last year, they should be in Georgia's top tier, and they had a nice T-29st finish at NSC. But uh, really guys, just come to more tournaments already.

Douglas County - Another good team that needs to play more tournaments. They apparently have some administration problems, but hopefully that will get sorted out. They got 4th at 6A Varsity state and made top bracket at ATTACK, so I expect better results from them next season.

Athens Academy - Last year showed that losing Jason Fern didn't hurt them too much by putting up decent results the whole season. They graduate people, but Timmy and Saad return and should do some damage in the scene.

Honorable mentions:
Marist - Graduate Brendan and Sebastian, return Maggie and Nick. Depending on who the other two A team members are, they're either a regular top bracket team again or a regular second bracket team.
Dunwoody - They lose Thomas and Jacky, return Ryan and Zack (I think). Ryan, who's only going to be a junior, will be key to how well they do the next two years.
Northview - A school that regularly seems to have potential but never realizes it, probably because their huge math team poaches all of the potentially good players. They had good people at JV/Varsity state, so maybe things will be different for once.
Walton - They're usually a good team. I know Sarah, their leading scorer, and another A team member graduate, but I have no idea what their A team is going to be like.
Parkview - I'm 75% sure that Ansel Ahabue has graduated from Trickum and 65% sure that he's attending Parkview. Assuming I'm right, Parkview could be a team to watch.
Buford - Where Rountree ends up. Maybe big things are in store for this team.
Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

NHBB Georgia States on A Set will be at Newnan High School (about 30 miles SW of Atlanta) on March 14. Other dates will be confirmed soon.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
CSQuizJags
Tidus

Post by CSQuizJags »

GATA has rolled out (but still working out the kinks on) our new website

www.gataquizbowl.org

All GATA events, as well as other events in the state, are and will continue to be listed. If you wish to have your event added to our calendar, please follow the instructions on the website. There are emails to the GATA staff to answer any questions you may have and for any changes the site needs.
Cedar Shoals HS Academic Team:
2011, 2012, and 2013 Classic City Academic Team Champions
2014 Region 8-AAAAA Varsity and JV Champions
2013 GATA Class AAAAA JV State Champions
2014 WSB-TV HighQ Tournament Champions
Arthur Banks, Advisor
ndikkala
Lulu

Post by ndikkala »

Fida wrote:Teams to watch:

Chattahoochee - Going to be the best in the state again, no question. James and Julia graduate and Rountree is leaving to teach/coach elsewhere, which is big, but Nirav returns, and Sahrudh gets to not be an A-team sub. Amith has stepped up his science knowledge, which is big since this team has had a science hole. Their fourth player is yet to be determined, but there's a good chance that it will be Alex Patton, another science player who helped the A team get second at UK Fall last year when Amith didn't go. They still neg a ton (I half-lied last year when I said that they had cut down negs), but that shouldn't be much of an issue at this point. I hear they get some River Trail kids, too. I see them matching or improving on their nationals performances next year.

Alpharetta - They return everybody. Shubhom (the team's leading scorer last year, the only non-senior, and the leader of the team who won JV State) has impressed me, and I'm sure the rest of the A team (some combination of Willie, Nikhil, and Bhanodai I think?) will have stepped up over the summer.

Brookwood - They only graduate Vamsi, but managed to go 5-5 without him at HSNCT. Felix negs a lot but he's a good player, and his supporting cast knows a good bit, too.

Centennial - Justin has teammates, maybe? He's a solid generalist but the three players who sit next to him need to step it up.

Flowery Branch - They made playoffs at HSNCT, are the defending 5A state champs, and return everybody, including Nick Pinto. Like in Centennial's case, his teammates need to step it up, but I remember them being knowing a decent amount already.

Collins Hill - Another case of a solid generalist (Zack) needing more teammate support. They had a surprise second place finish at 6A Varisty State and upset other GA teams throughout the year, but they could use some more consistency.

Westminster - They need to go to more tournaments. They graduate a couple of seniors, notably Tom, but Nilai and Annabel both return, with the former having good history/geo knowledge and the latter having impressive lit/fine arts knowledge. They should show up at more tournaments. Like last year, they should be in Georgia's top tier, and they had a nice T-29st finish at NSC. But uh, really guys, just come to more tournaments already.

Douglas County - Another good team that needs to play more tournaments. They apparently have some administration problems, but hopefully that will get sorted out. They got 4th at 6A Varsity state and made top bracket at ATTACK, so I expect better results from them next season.

Athens Academy - Last year showed that losing Jason Fern didn't hurt them too much by putting up decent results the whole season. They graduate people, but Timmy and Saad return and should do some damage in the scene.

Honorable mentions:
Marist - Graduate Brendan and Sebastian, return Maggie and Nick. Depending on who the other two A team members are, they're either a regular top bracket team again or a regular second bracket team.
Dunwoody - They lose Thomas and Jacky, return Ryan and Zack (I think). Ryan, who's only going to be a junior, will be key to how well they do the next two years.
Northview - A school that regularly seems to have potential but never realizes it, probably because their huge math team poaches all of the potentially good players. They had good people at JV/Varsity state, so maybe things will be different for once.
Walton - They're usually a good team. I know Sarah, their leading scorer, and another A team member graduate, but I have no idea what their A team is going to be like.
Parkview - I'm 75% sure that Ansel Ahabue has graduated from Trickum and 65% sure that he's attending Parkview. Assuming I'm right, Parkview could be a team to watch.
Buford - Where Rountree ends up. Maybe big things are in store for this team.
I'm from GSMST; and I was wondering where we fall in this evaluation of GA teams?
GSMST '15
Communications Officer
pajaro bobo
Wakka

Post by pajaro bobo »

I don't know.
Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13
ndikkala
Lulu

Post by ndikkala »

Well, our attendance last year was pretty limited. We went 2-3 in Gwinnett County last year, with a 980 total score at the end of prelims, got 2nd in BISB (lost to Ezell-Harding), 8th in prelims in ATTACK with a 15.95 P/B score, and 3rd in GATA Varsity 3A with a 20.05 P/B score. BISB final stats are mysteriously absent from the hsquizbowl database and I don't have P/B info for county. However, for prelims at BISB, we had a 16.63 P/B score and we went 4-1 there. Those are all our numbers from last year that I have access to.
GSMST '15
Communications Officer
pajaro bobo
Wakka

Post by pajaro bobo »

Yeah, you guys weren't on my radar primarily due to a lack of tournament attendance. Hopefully that changes this year!
Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13
ndikkala
Lulu

Post by ndikkala »

Will the BHSAT be mirrored in the Atlanta area this year? I was interested in going to the BHSAT mirror this year as last year there was a scheduling conflict for our team coaches.
GSMST '15
Communications Officer
pajaro bobo
Wakka

Post by pajaro bobo »

No BHSAT mirror has been planned/announced so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if one pops up later.
Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13
JKHtay
Wakka

Post by JKHtay »

At the moment the two Norcross tournaments announced do not have packets, they may try to seek BHSAT, although I have no idea whether or not they have and that shouldn't discourage you from asking about BHSAT as well. Prison Bowl (if it's announced) or a HSAPQ set might be alternate choices, in addition to an NAQT set not being used in GA already (they might all be used, I'm not sure).
Justin Htay

Centennial HS 2016
GT 2020
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

JKHtay wrote:in addition to an NAQT set not being used in GA already (they might all be used, I'm not sure).
All of NAQT's 2014-15 high school sets have already been reserved by at least one host in the state of Georgia.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
ndikkala
Lulu

Post by ndikkala »

Results from the Gwinnett County Tournament earlier today (Varsity division)
1. Brookwood (7-0) (Wins County for second straight year, also 7-0 last year)
2. Collins Hill (5-2) (l. Brookwood in finals, GSMST in prelims)
3. Peachtree Ridge (5-2)
4. Parkview (4-3) (l. Peachtree Ridge in 3rd place match, Collins Hill in semifinal, GSMST in prelims)

Brookwood and Collins Hill qualify for High Q, and if the NAQT certification is the same level this year as last year, Brookwood, Collins Hill, and Peachtree Ridge have just qualified for the 2015 HSNCT.
GSMST '15
Communications Officer
scottkim
Lulu

Post by scottkim »

GATA Winter was held today at Cedar Shoals (North) and Valdosta (South) and here are the quick results. Stats should be posted within the next few days.

Winter North:
Varsity results:
1- Chattahoochee A
2- Alpharetta A
3- Chattahoochee B
4- Collins Hill A

JV results:
1- Chattahoochee C
2- Northview
3- Cedar Shoals B
4- Dunwoody B

Novice results: