Highest scores

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Larry Horse
Lulu

Post by Larry Horse »

ImmaculateDeception wrote:From 2004 ACF Regionals:
Illinois A: 550
Michigan B: -10
At CBI regionals last year, Me, CHAD!!!, and the gang had something similar, like 530 to -10, but I don't recall the opponent.
Matt Weiner stole my avatar
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

The final match of the VA NAQT State Championship - TJ A 750, Princess Anne 70
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

Good god... I think we have a winner. That's crazy.
QuizBowlRonin
Wakka

Post by QuizBowlRonin »

steven-lamp wrote:Good god... I think we have a winner. That's crazy.
Michigan A 705 - Rutgers 40
ICT 2005, Division I
Jason Paik
retired

WashU, UAB, Stanford
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Regarding the 750-80 final game in the VA NAQT championship finals, it should be noted that TJ A only had 3 of their players, and that Princess Anne has a strong team that beat TJ B and MWGS A to get to the finals.

It would appear that anyone going to NAQT or PACE nationals will be playing for second place. If anyone beats TJA this year, it will be the upset of the decade, IMO. They will be the overwhelming favorite at Panasonic, as well. I expect the hat trick from them. But, who knows; strange things sometimes happen in this sport.
somerandomguy
Lulu

Post by somerandomguy »

just out of curiosity...

what was the format?

timed?
# questions?
powers/negs?
bouncebacks?

also, what was their average ppg?

that's impressive...
PRStoetzer
Lulu

Post by PRStoetzer »

jbarnes112358 wrote:Regarding the 750-80 final game in the VA NAQT championship finals, it should be noted that TJ A only had 3 of their players, and that Princess Anne has a strong team that beat TJ B and MWGS A to get to the finals.

It would appear that anyone going to NAQT or PACE nationals will be playing for second place. If anyone beats TJA this year, it will be the upset of the decade, IMO. They will be the overwhelming favorite at Panasonic, as well. I expect the hat trick from them. But, who knows; strange things sometimes happen in this sport.
Have they lost to anybody this year?
Paul R. Stoetzer
President, Michigan State University Academic Competition Club
Former Captain, Eisenhower High School Quiz Bowl Team (2001-2003)
jewtemplar
Wakka

Post by jewtemplar »

To somerandomguy:
The format was NAQT timed. 24 tossups with powers can make a big difference verus 20 without.
Our prelim ppg was 570.
Other stats at
http://www.student.virginia.edu/~quizbo ... dings.html

To PRStoetzer:
Our starting A team has not last a match this year. However, teams listed as TJ A have lost, I think, 3 times: once to our B team (captained by current starter Dan Wright) in the final round at Gonzaga, twice to some top notch maryland teams (Blake and another that I don't remember) in the prelims of the Eleanor Roosevelt tournament, an it's ac-style event which I did not attend.
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

2004 NAQT West SCT (26 tossups with powers):
Berkeley "Funky See, Funky Do" 765
Berkeley "Krustophenia" 215

Yes, that's 980 combined points.
buzzermaster
Lulu

Post by buzzermaster »

Cutter beat Benton in '03 390-320 in a format with 760 possible points. I remember scoring something like 730 in a format with 940. We were on the other side of a 520-90 drubbing by Texas at ACF fall.

As for low scores, I remember several 40-30 games in Arkansas state tournament format (760 max points). The worst performance I have ever witnessed by a team was 10 points in an entire tournament. I forget the team.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

A team from around here (name withheld to protect the innocent) was shut out in 4 of 5 matches and scored 5 points in their 5th at our tournament two years ago.
PRStoetzer
Lulu

Post by PRStoetzer »

I did a test to determine if there was a relationship between quiz bowl success and MEAP (the Michigan high school standardized test) scores using data from the tournament that I directed at Michigan State. Although there were two major outliers, I found a significant relationship. As MEAP scores improved, so did quiz bowl success (operationalized as points per game and as points per bonus). If anybody is interested in this study and the data, I can send you a copy.
Paul R. Stoetzer
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Why not just use a nation-wide test like the ACT or SAT?
iamsam
Lulu

Post by iamsam »

DaGeneral wrote:Why not just use a nation-wide test like the ACT or SAT?
Hmmm....
PRStoetzer wrote:MEAP (the Michigan high school standardized test)
PRStoetzer wrote:Michigan State
PRStoetzer wrote:Vice President, Michigan State University Academic Competition Club
PRStoetzer wrote:Location: Michigan State University
Carpe Cerevisi
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I understand, but why not do something nationwide to further prove it?
zwtipp
Rikku

Post by zwtipp »

DaGeneral wrote:I understand, but why not do something nationwide to further prove it?
It seems his population of interest may have just been Michigan students for this study. It would have been much more difficult to use a national test and apply it to the whole since you would not have a representative sample of the nation. It was much easier for him to gather data on Michigan residents and quiz bowlers than it would have been to gather nationwide data. He could have used a national test, but he still would have probably only been able to collect data on Michigan residents. It would have proved very difficult to collect a nonbiased sample of test scores and quiz bowl results. This means that although he could have used a national test as a base of comparison, his conclusions would have still only applied to Michigan students. Although, I wouldn't expect the conclusions to differ from the nation, it is wholly possible and without a representative sample, you cannot be sure (to any extent where you can ever truly be sure in statistics). His study was a good one and it yielded the information on the population he was studying. He had no need to conduct a nationwide survey if he didn't have the desire or resources to look at the nation as a whole.
I do not care much for large yellow Avians.
PRStoetzer
Lulu

Post by PRStoetzer »

My sample probably isn't even representative of Michigan. I only had 12 schools.
Paul R. Stoetzer
suds1000
Wakka

Post by suds1000 »

1. ACF Fall 2003:

Illinois 700, Grinnell -10 (we got all 20 tossups)

2. Great Lakes (GLRAC) 2001:

DCDS 710, Copley 330 or some such (powered 8 out of last 10 TUs)

3. McDonald's HS State Championship 2001 (Class B):

DCDS 990 (I think), Random Team ~200

4. NAQT ICT 2004 (and yes, I am proudest of this one, merely because of whom we were playing):

Illinois 515, Missouri 40

--Sudheer
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Gotta love the interstate rivalry. Are there other cases of rival schools having an annual "border war" in quiz bowl?
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

DaGeneral wrote:Gotta love the interstate rivalry. Are there other cases of rival schools having an annual "border war" in quiz bowl?
Uh, AFAIK, this has more to do with a certain player on the Missouri team than with any nascent cross-border rivalry.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
suds1000
Wakka

Post by suds1000 »

Noah is correct. If you want to learn more, read the Yahoo! quizbowl group and look for posts by Jason Mueller and in response to him (the ones from the last couple of years are the best examples).
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

After reading his butchering of JD and Luda's "Welcome to Atlanta", I won't even give him that much respect.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

suds1000 wrote:1. ACF Fall 2003:

Illinois 700, Grinnell -10 (we got all 20 tossups)
But how can this be? We all know ACF is impossible!
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
suds1000
Wakka

Post by suds1000 »

Matt:

Just wait until all of the trash teams see how "impossible" ACF Fall is in comparison with TRASH Regionals. When they discover just how much more reasonable the difficulty and how much better the question-writing is, the look on their faces will be absolutely priceless.