Errata (HFT 2014)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
hydrocephalitic listlessness
Forums Staff: Moderator

Errata (HFT 2014)

Post by hydrocephalitic listlessness »

If you remember any mistakes (factual or writing) from the set, post them here.
Will H-M
Harvard '16
Princeton ~'26
ACF
west neg, new york
Lulu

Re: Errata

Post by west neg, new york »

This one tripped me up when I read it: round 10, tossup 20, second to last sentence should read "loss of electrons," not "elections."
Robert Chu
Harvard '17
Johns Hopkins '21
NAQT writer
Maury Island incident
Wakka

Post by Maury Island incident »

There was a bonus that I think was in packet 6, but I'm not sure. The word "altruism" came up in the second part of the bonus, then was the answer to the third part. My teammate sitting next to me said "I think it's altruism". I replied to him with, "But they just said altruism in the last part, it can't be altruism. I'll say like happiness or something." That should probably get fixed for future mirrors.
Colin Cantwell
Lexington '17
UVA '21
jmarvin_
Wakka

Post by jmarvin_ »

quadrisecant wrote:There was a bonus that I think was in packet 6, but I'm not sure. The word "altruism" came up in the second part of the bonus, then was the answer to the third part. My teammate sitting next to me said "I think it's altruism". I replied to him with, "But they just said altruism in the last part, it can't be altruism. I'll say like happiness or something." That should probably get fixed for future mirrors.
There actually was an email about this bonus sent out to all readers at some point in the tournament, instructing us to read the last two parts of the bonus in reverse order, solving the problem- it's surely been fixed for future mirrors, and, if not, definitely shall be.
john marvin
university of chicago - joint ph.d., philosophy and philosophy of religions, 2028
university of chicago - m.a. philosophy of religions, 2021
boston college - b.a. theology, 2018
RexSueciae
Tidus

Post by RexSueciae »

jmarvin_ wrote:
quadrisecant wrote:There was a bonus that I think was in packet 6, but I'm not sure. The word "altruism" came up in the second part of the bonus, then was the answer to the third part. My teammate sitting next to me said "I think it's altruism". I replied to him with, "But they just said altruism in the last part, it can't be altruism. I'll say like happiness or something." That should probably get fixed for future mirrors.
There actually was an email about this bonus sent out to all readers at some point in the tournament, instructing us to read the last two parts of the bonus in reverse order, solving the problem- it's surely been fixed for future mirrors, and, if not, definitely shall be.
A correction was emailed to all readers? You mean the readers that, apparently, didn't have access to laptops, which was why paper packets were used at this tournament?

I can imagine the difficulty of sending a runner to each and every building in order to alert the readers that something was amiss, and I understand that Harvard was moderately shorthanded, but there's certainly something to be said about just sending out an email and hoping that someone decided to check their inbox in the middle of the day while staffing a high school tournament.
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
hydrocephalitic listlessness
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by hydrocephalitic listlessness »

Only one reader used paper packets at the tournament. Anyway, clearly at least one reader (John) saw my email!
Will H-M
Harvard '16
Princeton ~'26
ACF
RexSueciae
Tidus

Post by RexSueciae »

hydrocephalitic listlessness wrote:Only one reader used paper packets at the tournament. Anyway, clearly at least one reader (John) saw my email!
Ah. So only the unprepared, laptop-less reader was issued paper packets (hence why only one reader managed to mix up several different rounds). Thank you for the clarification.
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
Schmidt Sting Pain Index
Wakka

Post by Schmidt Sting Pain Index »

The question on Attention was odd. I don't recall the wording, but I for some reason buzzed with seeing color at the Stroop Test clue.
TWO-TIME HSNCT PARTICIPANT
TWO-TIME NSC PARTICIPANT
THREE-TIME NHBB PARTICIPANT
Varun Wadhwa
Charter School of Wilmington '15
University of Delaware (2013-)
Newark, DE
ndikkala
Lulu

Post by ndikkala »

RexSueciae wrote:
jmarvin_ wrote:
A correction was emailed to all readers? You mean the readers that, apparently, didn't have access to laptops, which was why paper packets were used at this tournament?

I can imagine the difficulty of sending a runner to each and every building in order to alert the readers that something was amiss, and I understand that Harvard was moderately shorthanded, but there's certainly something to be said about just sending out an email and hoping that someone decided to check their inbox in the middle of the day while staffing a high school tournament.
As a reader at the Marist tournament, I did not have access to this email, having a paper copy. I remember this one being confusing when I read the answer, because the teams didn't expect the answer to be altruism.
GSMST '15
Communications Officer
pajaro bobo
Wakka

Post by pajaro bobo »

ndikkala wrote: As a reader at the Marist tournament, I did not have access to this email, having a paper copy. I remember this one being confusing when I read the answer, because the teams didn't expect the answer to be altruism.
I think he meant readers at just the Harvard site, since they were planning to have all readers use laptops over there.

I do agree that this was rather problematic at the GA site, where we had no such contact with the writers.
Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13
ndikkala
Lulu

Post by ndikkala »

There was a general trend of grammar mistakes like misplaced apostrophes and poorly used pronouns across the rounds. I can't pinpoint specific questions, but it did happen numerous times throughout the day.
GSMST '15
Communications Officer