Lisgar December Tournament-6/12/2014, Ottawa, ON (BELLOCO)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Lisgar December Tournament-6/12/2014, Ottawa, ON (BELLOCO)

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Lisgar will be holding a mirror of the BELLOCO set at Lisgar Collegiate Institute in Downtown Ottawa on Saturday, December 6th, 2014. This tournament is open to teams of all experience levels.

The tournament will use the BELLOCO set produced by Bellarmine in California. This set was rated "exemplary" by PACE, their highest level of question set rating. This tournament is slightly below what is considered "regular difficulty", but it is a step up from the two previous quizbowl tournaments already held in Ottawa this year. Each packet consists of 20 tossups and 20 bonuses with tiebreakers and follow a standard quizbowl distribution. More details of the set, including the distribution, can be found here.

The tournament will begin at 9 AM and should finish between 3 and 4 PM. Lunch is not provided, but there is plenty of fast food and sit down options nearby on Elgin street and in the nearby Rideau Centre mall. A tournament of 12 teams or less will see a full round robin followed by rebracketed playoff rounds (if any) with standard ACF finals format to fit the 14 packets provided. 14 or more will see morning playoff brackets and afternoon crossover playoffs based on the number of teams.

To keep everything simple, we will be charging $10 per player for this tournament. This is to encourage shorthanded teams that may only consist of 2 players to come out and not be charged extra money.

This will be an ONQBA event, and participation can count toward provincials discounts in March.

Ben Smith will be the tournament director, and can accept registrations or other questions by email at president -AT- onqba.ca. Feel free to also email myself for other inquires.

Nationals Qualifications: TBD
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
bsmith
Tidus

Re: Lisgar December Tournament-6/12/2014, Ottawa, ON (BELLOC

Post by bsmith »

Yes, I will be the director. Please remember to actually register by email with me, rather than just depend on a post here or on Facebook or elsewhere.

We will temporarily place a limit of three teams per school until we can confirm enough readers.

Field:

Registered
Colonel By (3 teams)
Glebe (3 teams)
Lisgar (3 teams)
LDHSS (1 team)
Merivale (1 team)
Last edited by bsmith on Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

In addition to the 3 teams per school limit, we will have a total field cap of 14 teams (done with the OQT 6-room arrangement) until I can secure enough staff.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

It appears we will have an 11-team round robin tomorrow.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Colonel By A beat Colonel By B 465-140 in the first game of an advantaged final. Lisgar A was third.

I have some things to do tonight, but stats should be up tomorrow morning.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Thank you to all the teams that came and all the staff that helped bail out this tournament. 11 teams competed in the Lisgar December Tournament, played on the BELLOCO set.

As mentioned earlier, Colonel By split their talent across two teams and were both in the final, with Colonel By A winning 465-140. Lisgar A was third, and Merivale, Lisgar B and Glebe A all tied for fourth. Aidan of Lisgar A was the top scorer, followed by Janusz, Ted, Cameron and Isaac of the Colonel By teams.

I sent the SQBS files to the person holding the database entry for this tournament, but for now, stats are available at:

Round-robin: http://onqba.ca/stats/LisgarDecember/Li ... dings.html

With final match: http://onqba.ca/stats/LisgarDecember/Li ... dings.html

Thanks everyone, and hope to see you at History Bowl and/or the provincial championships.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10