Brookline (MA) Spring Rookie Tournament – 5/16/15 at BHS

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
acgfried
Lulu

Brookline (MA) Spring Rookie Tournament – 5/16/15 at BHS

Post by acgfried »

Brookline High School is pleased to announce the inaugural Brookline Spring Rookie Tournament (BSRT), to be held on Saturday, May 16th 2015. The goal for BSRT is to grow involvement in quiz bowl amongst schools in the Greater Boston Area, as well as New England as a whole. Additionally, we envision BSRT serving as an entry point for new players from established schools. We define “new players” as individuals who are in their first or second year of competition (though, honestly, we trust that individual players should be to able to accurately self-identify as "novice-level"). We believe that a spring competition for new players will help kick-start the 2015-16 season and get more students involved.

Question set:
We will be using the NAQT set IS-145A, running untimed rounds of 20 tossups each (with accompanying bonuses).

Registration information:
To register, please email BrooklineQuizTeam[at]gmail[dot]com with the following information:
  • • Number of teams you are registering
    • Number of experienced staffers you are bringing (we encourage veteran players to moderate for the newcomers)
    • Number of functional buzzer systems you are bringing
    • Name, email address, and phone number for your team’s contact person
On the day of the tournament we will run sign-in from 8:15am to 8:45am with the aim of starting the first round at 9:00am.

Fee Structure:
$50 base fee for each team
-$10 per experienced moderator (veteran players, we’re looking at you!)
-$5 per operational buzzer system
Minimum fee: $20 per team

Lunch Plan:
A choice of pizza, salads, and beverages will be available for purchase.

Location & Transportation:
Brookline High School is located at 115 Greenough Street, Brookline, MA 02445.
Our campus is conveniently located at the Brookline Hills stop on the D branch of the Green Line. There is ample street parking, and the school is located right off of Route 9 and close to I-90.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
We hope to see you in May!

Current Field: (Teams/Buzzers/Staffers)
Abby Kelley Foster (3/1/1)
AMSA (1/2/2)
BC High (2/0/0)
Boston Latin School (1/0/0)
Canton (1/0/0)
Framingham (1/0/1)
Glastonbury, CT (1/0/0)
Lexington (1/1/4)
Mansfield (1/0/0)
Needham (1/1/0)
Newton South (1/0/0)
Reading (1/0/0)
"Warriors" (1/5/5)

TOTAL: 16/10/13

Interested Schools:
Last edited by acgfried on Sat May 16, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Adam Fried
Co-Coach
Brookline High School
mmosesian
Kimahri

Re: Brookline (MA) Spring Rookie Tournament – 5/16/15 at BHS

Post by mmosesian »

Michael Mossessian and Spencer Thrope from ABRHS would like to read at the tournament.
Michael Mossessian - ABRHS Quiz Bowl Team
acgfried
Lulu

Post by acgfried »

With a tentative cap of 24 teams, BSRT is nearing capacity. If you've been thinking about registering, be sure to get in there soon!
On a related note, if you've got some (working) buzzers in your possession, it would be wonderful if you could bring them along....
Adam Fried
Co-Coach
Brookline High School
jessbowen
Lulu

Post by jessbowen »

I've been recruiting some newbies to try and attend this tournament. I'm pretty sure at this point AMSA can come with 2 buzzers, at least 2 readers, and at least one (really hoping for 2) teams. Thanks for hosting!

Jess Bowen
AMSA Charter School
Jessica E. Bowen
Coach, AMSA Charter School
Marlborough, MA
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

I'll volunteer to staff for this tournament.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
acgfried
Lulu

Post by acgfried »

After 11 rounds of prelims and crossover matches, Glastonbury defeated Needham 385-225 in a finals matchup (which was much closer than the final score lets on) to take home the much-coveted box of salt water taffy. Congratulations to both teams for their strong performance throughout the day.

Thank you to the members of the members of the 16 teams who competed today, many of whom for the very first time! I hope to see all of you in the fall.

Finally, a huge and heart-felt "thank you" goes out to all of the staffers who made this day possible. Veteran players and coaches from Abby Kelley Foster, Acton-Boxboro, AMSA, Framingham, and Lexington volunteered their Saturday to read and keep score, and there's no way that the tournament would have run as smoothly without their hard work.

Preliminary and Combined stats can be found by clicking on the appropriate words.

Thanks for a great day!
Adam Fried
Co-Coach
Brookline High School