Vanderbilt ABC 44 [IS-144], 3/21/15

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin
Wakka

Vanderbilt ABC 44 [IS-144], 3/21/15

Post by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin »

This is the general announcement for the 2015 Academic Bowl Competition (#44), a regular-difficulty high school quizbowl tournament, at Vanderbilt's Featheringill Hall (Engineering), on EDIT: Saturday, March 21st, 2015. We're sorry for the delays, but March 21st works best for us and only conflicts with the GATA State Championship Tournament.
It will use NAQT's Invitational Series 144 question set. The Tournament Director will be Daniel Laky ([email protected]), but I will be handling registration/recruitment as usual. Registration will begin at 8:00 AM, the first round by 9 AM, and the tournament will likely finish by 5 PM. All times are in CST!
Database entry: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/2856/

This tournament is open to any HS (including JV) teams; we may have a separate JV division if there are enough teams, but that hasn't happened in the past few years. We will email and contact as many teams as possible, however, if you feel that you didn't get an invite and deserve one, just e-mail us at [email protected] or post here or contact me at my email. We are still contacting teams!

Once you confirm that you are coming, you should e-mail us at [email protected] with:
1. The number of teams, buzzers, and scorekeepers and experienced readers you can bring.
2. A phone number for a coach/chaperone/captain that will be there with you on the day of the competition.
3. An email address where you/your coach can be contacted for further details or changes.
4. The first and last names of the players on each team you're bringing. If this changes dramatically, please keep us updated as the tournament draws closer.

Scheduling/format:
Preliminary brackets will be seeded and then playoff brackets will be determined based on record. All teams will be offered a minimum of 9 games (liable to change as well with moderator count). Rounds will not be timed, but no round should be longer than 30 minutes. Statistics will be kept in full. Trophies will be awarded to the top four or so teams, and book prizes will be awarded to the top five or ten individual scorers from the prelims. The Vanderbilt team reserves the right to cap the field based on moderator availability. The current cap is 30 teams.

Questions:
This tournament will use the 2014 Invitational Series set 144, which is a regular difficulty set made by NAQT. Questions are 20/20 format with 20 tossups in a round, each accompanied by a 3-part, 30 point bonus, and tiebreakers. There will be negs and powers, but no bouncebacks. Math computation will not be in this tournament.

Team size:
The maximum number of players on any one team is 6. Chances for substitutions always occur after Bonus 10 in each round (half-time), and if your moderator doesn't ask you, just briefly tell them the name of the player(s) you are substituting in/out. Each player may appear on only one team's roster throughout the day, and we will keep stats as such.

Affiliation (and qualification for NAQT and PACE National tournaments):
The top 15% of the field will qualify for the HSNCT or High School National Championship Tournament hosted by NAQT in Rosemont, IL (http://www.naqt.com/hsnct/2015/details.html)!
We are seeking PACE Platinum affiliation. Here are the details on PACE's National Scholastic Championship: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =2&t=16111.

Fees and discounts:
Base fee: $60 per first team, $50 per second team and so on. There is no limit to the number of teams who can attend from one school, but schools sending more than two teams are strongly encouraged to provide a competent staffer. This will change if we get more than 15 or so total staffers.

Discounts:
$15 discount for each experienced reader
$5 discount per buzzer with no limit on buzzers per school (until we reach 15 buzzers or so)
$5 discount for every 100 miles traveled one-way according to Google Maps.
The minimum fee is $40, except for teams that are new to quizbowl, and those teams have no minimum fee.

Payment:
We prefer payment on the day of, but feel free to send checks to us ahead of time. The address to send the check to is in the email that will be sent to all teams in the region. Cash, personal checks, funds from an organization, or checks are all fine. Purchase orders, credit cards, Paypal, or anything else that we can't process will not be counted as payment. All checks must be made out to "Vanderbilt Quiz Bowl". If you need a pre-tournament invoice or W-9 form in order to have a check written, you must let us know by April 1st, so that we can send you the paperwork in time and so your payment can be on time.

Location and directions:
The intro meeting and post-lunch individual scorer awards will be in Stevenson Hall 4, room 4309 (across from Buttrick Hall). The tournament will take place in Buttrick Hall, 2400 Vanderbilt Pl, Nashville, TN 37212, approachable from I-440's exit 1A onto West End heading north, or I-40's exit 209B on Broadway heading South towards the Medical Center, or just from Charlotte Ave. to West End heading towards the West side of campus near the roundabout near Kirkland Hall. Note: you can't actually park near Buttrick Hall, but you can drive up close to it (for drop-off) via West Side Row off 24th Ave S which will put you behind Rand Dining Hall with a 2 minute walk to Buttrick Hall. Stevenson is right across from Buttrick Hall, so no worries there.

Parking:
Tip: I'd suggest parking (for the day) in either the Terrace Place or Wesley Place garages, which are about 7-10 minutes from Buttrick Hall, but free and likely large enough, as opposed to the reserved lots that surround the area. Parking is limited, so I've also linked the university's guidelines here: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/traffic_parki ... arking.php and the campus map here: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/econ/apet/ima ... pusmap.pdf. These should give adequate guidelines for parking and locations.

Food:
Neither breakfast nor lunch will be provided. Here's a list of places, from fast-food to sit-down, that are open during lunch break which will likely be around an hour. Note: these are not in order of distance from Buttrick Hall, and some are about a 15 minute walk. Jimmy John's, Moe's, and Quiznos, San Antonio Taco Company, Panera, and Subway are closest to Buttrick Hall. Also, Rand Dining Hall is just a few minutes' walk from Calhoun but only accepts cash I think. It is the closest option but not necessarily the fastest one, depending on what time lunch begins and which restaurant within Rand you choose.

Along West End
Taco Bell, Checkers, Amerigo's, Five Guys, Jason's Deli, Jack in the Box, Qdoba, TGI Friday's, Jimmy Johns, Moe's, PF Chang's, Bread & Company, Wendy's

Along 21st Ave S
San Antonio Taco Company, Panera, Subway, Chipotle, Mellow Mushroom, Wendy's

Please email me (Rohan Nag) if you have any further questions. I'm looking forward to seeing a wide variety of teams from Tennessee and surrounding states on the 4th!
Last edited by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin on Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
Wakka

Re: Vanderbilt ABC 44 [IS-144], 3/21/15

Field
Officially registered (10,5,0):
Central Magnet (1,1,0)
East Hamilton (1,1,0)
Gatton Academy (1,0,0)
Hume-Fogg (2,0,0)
Lincoln County (1,2,0)
L&N STEM (2,1,1)
St. Andrew’s Episcopal School (2,0,0)

Expressed interest (1):
McCracken County (KY)
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
Wakka

Re: Vanderbilt ABC 44 [IS-144], 3/21/15

This happened rather quickly. Hume-Fogg A powered the last tossup (trailing by 10 points!) of an advantaged final against Gatton A to win ABC. Congratulations to Hume-Fogg A and Gatton for qualifying for HSNCT, and congratulations to L&N STEM A for qualifying for SSNCT! The top scorer from the prelims was Aditya from Hume-Fogg A with 82.2 PPG. Will from Gatton came in second with 80 PPG, and Shawn from Central Magnet had 51.1 PPG. Stats are located here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /complete/ and here: https://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-t ... nt_id=6124.
I'd also like to thank our efficient moderators, especially Delano Barnes (who traveled a few hours to get here).
Aside: I'm very glad that ABC has been attracting both "reticent" teams and teams new to quizbowl as well as the "regulars", and I'm glad that at least some of them have enjoyed it and other tournaments.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13