IHSA 2015

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
heterodyne
Rikku

IHSA 2015

Post by heterodyne »

It begins. As soon as I know that the set is completely clear, there are some "questions" that I would like to discuss. I was hoping for some improvement from last year. I was disappointed.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
dtaylor4
Auron

Re: IHSA 2015

Post by dtaylor4 »

I read all three rounds at Glenwood (who lost to East Peoria in a tight final). I made a comment after the first half that there would be many more bad questions, and the set did not disappoint.

The math sucked, some of the history questions were holy-mother-of-god hard, and the art had jokes for answer lines.

I almost wanted to pull a Chris Vicich in the finals after two particular tossups.

Basically, same waste of paper, different year.
remake20
Lulu

Post by remake20 »

I seemed to find myself less mad at this year's set, but that was probably just cause I lowered my expectations to a more realistic level. A lot of it was pretty appalling. Perhaps the most frustrating part were the multiple hoses. Math, as always, was pretty questionable.
Andrew T.
Litchfield '15
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

So this certainly happened. As all regionals are over, I am assuming that as none were postponed I can proceed with question content.

These were some of what my team saw as the more egregious questions:
  • Annoying quantum numbers bonus
    Art that isn't art in general, particularly the "old buildings" bonus
    Humphry Davy didn't have any really buzzable clues until "discovered chlorine"
    The "pentatonic" part in the scales bonus didn't give any real clues
    Poetic :capybara:ing justice
    Euclid's technique for GCF???
    A Maya Angelou part that consisted entirely of "writer from St. Louis with this real name"
    the polish person who WASN'T CASIMIR PULASKI (Kościuszko)
    Homeomorphism, at this level?
    Beta-amyloid plaques in the firstline of alzheimers
    Oedipus twice!
    A quite hard Katherine Porter tossup
    Madama Butterfly with no music clues
    Fermat part that just names a bunch of people that he was a contemporary with
    Beige Book
    Even Money
    A famous recent thing about Richard III as SCIENCE???
    That quite hard upper houses of legislatures bonus
    Cevians
    Tennis bonus that had three people I had never heard of
    Self-Reliance leading in with "RWE essay"
    The part asking for the conspirators against Rasputin, which seemed really hard for this level
    Chiasmus!!!
    John Deere
    Category: Science. This ship...
    Don Giovanni bonus devoid of music clues
    Euclid's Formula
These are just the worst of the pack. The set overall was absurd.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

A bit generous to even suggest some of the tus had clues
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
noobynoob
Lulu

Post by noobynoob »

As a more math-oriented player, I'd like to offer some thoughts.
First off, it was of exceedingly variable difficulty (not to mention badly written). Our reader was very slow, thus listening to the bonuses where a triangle was constructed was pretty painful. Aside from comp math being bad itself and ihsa making it worse, the math concepts questions also sucked. The following is a review of each notable tu:

Euclidean algorithm: stated that it can be used to find factors in first line
Euler's identity: transparent first line, following clues were about deriving it, generally really bad clue placement
Factorial: one of the less atrocious, but nonspecific firstline and gamma function dropped early on
Homeomorphism: this is really difficult (I wasn't able to convert it) but it seemed really transparent
Spline: I quinterested this and the only tu that came up was from CO
Cevian: I firstline negged this with line because the tu had nothing about prompting even though the first clue was about lines intersecting a triangle in Menelaus's theorem; also pretty difficult to convert

Sorry for being repetitive but I need to vent

Edit: also I haven't heard a comp math question require units since IESA (or maybe it was just our moderator)
Last edited by noobynoob on Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Harrison Wang
Hinsdale Central '17
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the roomwide groans that "you may want to sketch this" elicited.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
bajaj
Lulu

Post by bajaj »

The RWE essay clue in the firstline is almost as bad as the "Romanian sculptor" clue used to lead into a TU about Brancusi last year. It's good to see that the set has made such groundbreaking improvement.
Ankush Bajaj
Hinsdale Central Class of 2016
IHSSBCA Steering Committee High School Liaison, 2015-2016
Brown University Class of 2020
President of Sunny Chen Fan Club
no ice
Lulu

Post by no ice »

Except for the fact that it is much more reasonable to buzz on "This Romanian sculptor..." when you are aware that you definitely aren't able to name any other Romanian sculptors than it is to answer with "Self-Reliance" on "This Ralph Waldo Emerson essay..." even though you can probably think of a few other notable essays.

But yeah, today really really sucked. We had the same moderator for all three rounds, and he took 30 points off of our Round 2 score due to a combination of me complaining about the questions and attempting to call time outs.
James Zhou
Hinsdale Central
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

no ice wrote:Except for the fact that it is much more reasonable to buzz on "This Romanian sculptor..." when you are aware that you definitely aren't able to name any other Romanian sculptors than it is to answer with "Self-Reliance" on "This Ralph Waldo Emerson essay..." even though you can probably think of a few other notable essays.
The only ones that come to mind are Nature and The Oversoul, both of which are way too hard for this difficulty (not that this has stopped the IHSA in the past.) I'd say that on these questions, the buzz you described is a reasonable buzz. I certainly made it, or something close to it once I wrapped my mind around the ridiculousness of the leadin.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
kievanrustic
Lulu
Location: Riverside, IL (Aurora, IL during most of the school year)

Post by kievanrustic »

The key to playing IHSA is maintaining one's cool. It's too bad that playing it is like having a crawdad pinching on each appendage.

Really working on not making each game into a rendition of Glengarry Glen Ross.
Andrew Salij
Northwestern University 2024
St. Olaf College 2019
IMSA 2015
nsb2
Lulu

Post by nsb2 »

Western Leader wrote:So this certainly happened. As all regionals are over, I am assuming that as none were postponed I can proceed with question content.

These were some of what my team saw as the more egregious questions:
Agreed except on a few counts:

The Humphry Davy tossup wasn't too bad -- they did mention nitrous oxide, which he is known for, and also his hiring Michael Faraday as a lab assistant.

Maybe this is just from my experience, but I think Pulaski and Kościuszko are equally important, and the tossup did mention him building several fortifications (Pulaski didn't do that).

The tennis bonus was not too hard -- I was able to (if I recall correctly) 20 that, and I don't know that much about tennis.

These were the questions I found to be OK (based on my own personal experience), so feel free to correct me if something is wrong.
Pranav Sivakumar
Barrington Station MS '13, Barrington High School --> IMSA '17
UC Berkeley '21
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

After sectionals, I only have one word: versine.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
ACantataforLiebowitz
Kimahri

Post by ACantataforLiebowitz »

Things I enjoyed about IHSA 2k15, a compendium:
The Steinbeck lead-in: striking fruit workers and California (totally not fraudable)
"Huckleberry Finn" is not an acceptable answer (one shudders to think of them tossing up An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations or The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money)
"Hercules killed a number of different animals..."
The intro to versine was "a little used trick function" (little did we know..)
Mythology = Literature
How IHSA does not consider short stories to be a thing (novels Harrison Bergeron and The Open Boat)
"you may want to sketch this figure.."- honestly, I was trying not to laugh through the entire question; it was basically the comic relief question.
Nathaniel Smith
IMSA 2017 (Bloomington before that, I think)
ACantataforLiebowitz
Kimahri

Post by ACantataforLiebowitz »

Western Leader wrote:
no ice wrote:Except for the fact that it is much more reasonable to buzz on "This Romanian sculptor..." when you are aware that you definitely aren't able to name any other Romanian sculptors than it is to answer with "Self-Reliance" on "This Ralph Waldo Emerson essay..." even though you can probably think of a few other notable essays.
The only ones that come to mind are Nature and The Oversoul, both of which are way too hard for this difficulty (not that this has stopped the IHSA in the past.) I'd say that on these questions, the buzz you described is a reasonable buzz. I certainly made it, or something close to it once I wrapped my mind around the ridiculousness of the leadin.
The American Scholar?
Nathaniel Smith
IMSA 2017 (Bloomington before that, I think)
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

ACantataforLiebowitz wrote:
Western Leader wrote:
The American Scholar?
It was a speech, despite sometimes being published as an essay.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

ACantataforLiebowitz wrote:Mythology = Literature
How IHSA does not consider short stories to be a thing (novels Harrison Bergeron and The Open Boat)
1) Myth is explicitly under the lit distribution.
2) Harrison Bergeron isn't a novel...
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

dtaylor4 wrote:
ACantataforLiebowitz wrote:Mythology = Literature
1) Myth is explicitly under the lit distribution.
2) Harrison Bergeron isn't a novel...
This was Nathaniel's point.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
mhasquin
Wakka

Post by mhasquin »

The curiosity is getting the better of me... Being a "downstater" and all.

What happened at the OPRF Sectional to lead to a 1-0 win for Hinsdale Central over UChicago Lab?
Matt Hasquin
Scholastic Bowl Coach - Southwestern High School - Piasa, Illinois
IHSSBCA Chair (2018-2022)
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

mhasquin wrote:The curiosity is getting the better of me... Being a "downstater" and all.

What happened at the OPRF Sectional to lead to a 1-0 win for Hinsdale Central over UChicago Lab?
According to Adam Fine, UC lab can't go to state due to finals
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
no ice
Lulu

Post by no ice »

I wasn't at Sectionals, but UC Lab, had they not forfeited, would have had a 530-280 victory.
James Zhou
Hinsdale Central