VOLDEMORT at Virginia Tech (10/31/15) [SCOP Novice]

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
mattfleischer
Lulu

VOLDEMORT at Virginia Tech (10/31/15) [SCOP Novice]

Post by mattfleischer »

Virginia Tech is pleased to announce Virginia's Ostensibly Likable, Demonstratively Entertaining, Mostly Organized Rookie Tournament, to be held on 10/31/15.

Question Set
This tournament will be a mirror of SCOP Novice 6, graciously produced year-in and year-out by Kristen Strey and company. As such, it should be a great opportunity for newer players to gain valuable experience.

The location for this tournament will be the second floor of McBryde Hall on our campus in Blacksburg, VA.

Registration
Registration will most likely begin at 8:30AM, with play beginning at 9:00AM.

Fees and Discounts
Base Fee: $60
Subsequent Teams: $50
Buzzer Discount: -$5/set
Competent Moderator: -$10
Competent Scorekeeper: -$5
Travel: -$5/200 miles traveled one-way as determined by the Tournament Director
New to Quizbowl: -$10

To register, please contact Matt Fleischer via email at ([email protected]) with the coach's contact information, including a phone number where the coach can be reached on the day of the tournament, the number of teams, and any expected discounts.

Team Size and Eligibility
Teams are limited to six players, four of which may play at any one time. If a school wishes to bring more than six players, they must register an additional team.

As usual, our only restriction is that players who have participated in NAQT HSNCT or PACE NSC must apply to play. We will most likely be lenient on the whole if we believe players can benefit from the tournament.

Field Cap
The field is initially capped at around 12-14 teams, but may be expanded if resources allow. Teams in excess of the cap will be placed on a waitlist and allowed into the field in order.

Costumes
As this tournament falls on Halloween this year, we encourage teams and coaches to come in costume! However, we ask that participants refrain from wearing masks of any sort, for obvious reasons.

Field (Teams/Buzzers/Staffers)
Gate City 2/1/1
Tazewell 2/0/0
Honaker 2/1/0
Blacksburg 4/3/1
Cave Spring 3/2/0-1
Cave Spring MS 2/0/0
Christiansburg 1-3/0-1/0
"Transylvanian Sparkles" 1/2/1
Culpeper County 1/1/0-1
Last edited by mattfleischer on Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:24 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Matt Fleischer
Christiansburg High School 2013
Virginia Tech 2016
Head Writer and Editor, 2015 VTACO
tmcavoy
Lulu

Re: VOLDEMORT at Virginia Tech (10/31/15) [SCOP Novice]

Post by tmcavoy »

This sounds very interesting. I need some more information before I can commit my team to entry. Also, I would need to add the skull to my snake tattoo to make the Dark Mark.
Tom McAvoy
mattfleischer
Lulu

Post by mattfleischer »

The field for this tournament is filling up; please register sooner rather than later if you are interested!
Matt Fleischer
Virginia Tech 2016
Skr121
Lulu

Post by Skr121 »

Culpeper County High School is in.
1/1/ maybe 1?
-Benny Perez
Mountain Vista Governor's School
"We can't have full knowledge all at once. We must start by believing; then afterwards, we may be led on to master the evidence for ourselves." -St. Thomas Aquinas
mattfleischer
Lulu

Post by mattfleischer »

We have actually reached our capacity until we can find more staffers. Teams that have expressed interest will be allowed in as we find more staff.
Matt Fleischer
Virginia Tech 2016
mattfleischer
Lulu

Post by mattfleischer »

We have recruited enough staff to allow all teams that have expressed interest to play. However, I believe this is the most we can manage barring special circumstances.
Matt Fleischer
Virginia Tech 2016
mattfleischer
Lulu

Post by mattfleischer »

Congratulations to Culpeper County for winning this tournament! They narrowly beat Cave Spring A in the final to take first place. Blacksburg A wound up third, with Tazewell A rounding out the top four. Thank you to all who came out played this tournament, we hope that you had a good time and will join us again in the future!

Stats have been finalized and can be found at the following link:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/3219/

If anybody notices any errors, shoot me a message and I will correct them accordingly (EDIT - I have already fixed a couple errors I noticed with bonus points, so those should be good now).
Matt Fleischer
Virginia Tech 2016