GSAC XXIII Main Site - Richmond, VA December 12, 2015

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Vainamoinen
Lulu

GSAC XXIII Main Site - Richmond, VA December 12, 2015

Post by Vainamoinen »

The Maggie L. Walker Governor's School for Government and International Studies is proud to announce the newest incarnation of our long-running tournament, GSAC XXIII. Our school’s address is 1000 N. Lombardy Street, Richmond, VA 23220, and the tournament will take place there on Saturday, December 12th. This packet is written by members of the Maggie Walker team and edited by me. Specifics about the set can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=17461. The field cap is 24 teams. Please contact me at will AT willoverman DOT com if you have any questions or comments, or post below.

GSAC XXII is Platinum Certified by the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence (PACE), meaning that the top 25% of teams will qualify for NSC 2016.

Please send me an e-mail at will AT willoverman DOT com with:
1. Your school's name
2. The number of teams, buzzers, and moderators you will bring
3. A name, an e-mail address, and a phone number that can be reached on the day of the tournament

Fee structure:

Per team: $70
Functional Buzzer Discount: $5
Travel Discount (150+ miles): $10
Staff Discount (please only volunteer a competent staffer): $10
Minimum fee: $45

Mirrors:
We are also looking for prospective mirror hosts of GSAC XXIII across the country. The set contains 14 rounds, of which the last two are set aside for finals. The mirror fee is $12 per team, and the set will be available from December 12 until the end of the season. Please contact me at will AT willoverman DOT com if you are interested in hosting a mirror. Information and current mirror sites can be found at viewtopic.php?f=109&t=17461.
Will Overman
MW '16
Caltech '20
Vainamoinen
Lulu

Re: GSAC XXIII Main Site - Richmond, VA December 12, 2015

Post by Vainamoinen »

Field (24):
Fork Union (1/0/0)
Cosby HS (2/1/0)
New Kent HS (3/0/0)
Sir Walter Charter (2/2/0)
HSoBX (2/1/0)
Deep Run HS (1/0/0)
Clover Hill HS (3/1/0)
Christiansburg HS (1/0/1)
Cave Spring HS (2/2/1)
Georgetown Day School (2/0/0)
Richard Montgomery HS (2/3/1)
Western Albemarle HS (1/2/0)
Howard (1/1/1)
Kittylonians (1/1/0)
Last edited by Vainamoinen on Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:57 am, edited 16 times in total.
Will Overman
MW '16
Caltech '20
Vainamoinen
Lulu

Post by Vainamoinen »

Two and a half weeks out, we still have a lot of open spots. If you're planning to come, please go ahead and get in your registrations. No deadline of course, but we'd like to have a gauge of the field. We hope to see as many teams as possible on December 12!
Will Overman
MW '16
Caltech '20
Vainamoinen
Lulu

Post by Vainamoinen »

EDIT: We are at 24 teams and I am going to cap the field there. If you would like to come, please email me immediately and I will add you to the waiting list. A logistics email has been sent out to all the teams that are registered.
Will Overman
MW '16
Caltech '20
Vainamoinen
Lulu

Post by Vainamoinen »

Will Overman
MW '16
Caltech '20
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Why were students from different schools allowed to play together on a pseudonymous team?
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Vainamoinen
Lulu

Post by Vainamoinen »

Granny Soberer wrote:Why were students from different schools allowed to play together on a pseudonymous team?
"Allowed" is the wrong word to use here. I was unaware this had happened until your post.

I received this registration weeks ago: "I would like to register two teams from Raleigh Charter for GSAC on December 12. However, we’re not officially sponsored by the school so we’ll be using an alternate name that we haven’t decided on."

Having had to play under an alternate team name many times due to school rules, I didn't think anything strange of this. We had no reason to suspect that the members of "Magical Unicorn Rainbow Phoenixes" and "The Wikipedia Appreciation Society" weren't all from Raleigh Charter.

I apologize for the unprofessionalism of that having occurred, but would like to note it didn't end up affecting the results of the tournament too heavily.

GDS cleared the field at 12-0 with RM A and RM B coming in second and third, respectively. I would like to thank everyone for coming out. Full stats can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... standings/
Will Overman
MW '16
Caltech '20
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Vainamoinen wrote:
Granny Soberer wrote:Why were students from different schools allowed to play together on a pseudonymous team?
"Allowed" is the wrong word to use here. I was unaware this had happened until your post.

I received this registration weeks ago: "I would like to register two teams from Raleigh Charter for GSAC on December 12. However, we’re not officially sponsored by the school so we’ll be using an alternate name that we haven’t decided on."

Having had to play under an alternate team name many times due to school rules, I didn't think anything strange of this. We had no reason to suspect that the members of "Magical Unicorn Rainbow Phoenixes" and "The Wikipedia Appreciation Society" weren't all from Raleigh Charter.

I apologize for the unprofessionalism of that having occurred, but would like to note it didn't end up affecting the results of the tournament too heavily.

GDS cleared the field at 12-0 with RM A and RM B coming in second and third, respectively. I would like to thank everyone for coming out. Full stats can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... standings/
I had actually intended to e-mail you with some thoughts regarding this. I'm surprised you didn't know, since it didn't seem to be hidden from other teams at the tournament that the team was compsed of Raleigh Charter and NCSSM students. So my guess is there was some misunderstanding somewhere.

Regardless, here are my thoughts:

In general I think it's a good idea to allow students from more than one school to combine in an effort to make the tournament more playable, for example merging two teams of six to form three teams of four, or merging two teams of two to make one team of four. In the former example, I'd expect the bottom two from each team to combine. If we allow the top players on good teams to combine, we're potentially creating all-star teams and undermining the integrity of giving awards schools (or a team of students from the same school). Allowing top players from different schools on the same team will only encourage the top players attending a tournament to make such all-star teams, and this will further discourage those outside the top couple tiers of play.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred