2005 MSHSAA State Tournament

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
DavidH
Lulu

2005 MSHSAA State Tournament

Post by DavidH »

This year's Missouri state tournament is this Saturday in Columbia. I'll post the results Saturday night. 4 divisions of 8 teams qualified by winning district championships and will play an automatic 3 morning rounds (15 tossups; 10 tossups/bonus; 15 tossups; 10 tossups/bonus). In each division 4 teams will advance to the afternoon rounds, and everyone is guaranteed 2 matches as there is a 3rd place match. Here's a team list with district final results:

CLASS 1
District 1 at Bell City HS
Bell City 320, Saxony Lutheran 145
District 2 at Lockwood HS
Thomas Jefferson Independent 345, New Covenant Acad. 105
District 3 at Leeton HS
Hume 295, St. Elizabeth 155
District 4 at Madison HS
North Shelby 240, Pilot Grove 215
District 5 at Norborne HS
Lutheran (Kansas City) 255, Norborne 105
District 6 at Brashear HS
Macon County 190, Brashear 90
District 7 at Osborn HS
King City 230, Worth County 110
District 8 at South Holt HS, Oregon
St. Joseph Christian 340, Tarkio 230

CLASS 2
District 1 at South Pemiscot HS, Steele
South Pemiscot 205, Alton 185
District 2 at Valle Catholic HS, Ste. Genevieve
Richland 415, Eugene 175
District 3 at Mark Twain HS, Center
New Bloomfield 210, Louisiana 165
District 4 at South Shelby HS, Shelbina
South Shelby 220, Canton 145
District 5 at Clever HS
Fordland 315, Seymour 275
District 6 at Purdy HS
Purdy 305, Diamond 235
District 7 at Adrian HS
Barstow 345, St. Paul Lutheran 120
District 8 at West Platte HS, Weston
South Harrison 210, North Platte 205

CLASS 3
District 1 at Central HS, New Madrid County
Notre Dame (Cape Girardeau) 335, Central (New Madrid Co.) 230
District 2 at Cuba HS
Westminster Christian Acad. 350, Priory 320
District 3 at Clark County HS, Kahoka
Bowling Green 250, Hallsville 235
District 4 at Boonville HS
Osage 305, South Callaway 75
District 5 at Strafford HS
Ava 295, Strafford 260
District 6 at Bolivar HS
El Dorado Springs 290, Cassville 240
District 7 at Lexington HS
Lexington 300, Oak Grove 295
District 8 at Savannah HS
Savannah 520, Bishop LeBlond 145

CLASS 4
District 1 at Farmington HS
Jackson 310, Central (Cape Girardeau) 235
District 2 at St. Louis Univ. High
Eureka 480, Lutheran South 220
District 3 at Parkway Central HS, Chesterfield
Parkway Central 425, Ladue Horton Watkins 295
District 4 at Fort Zumwalt West HS, O'Fallon
Fort Zumwalt West 395, Mexico 185
District 5 at Smith-Cotton HS, Sedalia
Helias 370, Kirksville 310
District 6 at Webb City HS
Nixa 365, Willard 230
District 7 at Lee's Summit North HS
Lee's Summit 280, Raytown South 200
District 8 at Park Hill HS, Kansas City
Liberty 465, Oak Park 195

Anyway, I'm really just posting this for the hell of it as I doubt any of you give a rip about MO quiz bowl but hey whatever.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Good luck Saturday, David.
DavidH
Lulu

Post by DavidH »

Final Results:

Class I
1. Thomas Jefferson Academy (not from VA obviously)
2. St. Joseph Christian
3. Bell City
4. North Shelby

Class II
1. Richland
2. Barstow
3. Fordland
4. South Shelby

Class III
1. Westminster Christian Academy
2. Savannah
3. El Dorado Springs
4. Notre Dame (Cape Girardeau)

Class IV
1. Liberty
2. Parkway Central
3. Eureka
4. Helias

Note: alot of these would normally be considered upsets in and around MO, but the questions (Avery) were incredibly heavy in science and math and lacked any real rhythm which killed lots of teams including us.
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

Yeah, those questions were way too loaded with math and science. I usually do much better on the social studies and lit. but there wasn't as much yesterday and that cost us. Also, we suffered because I was the only one scoring in the afternoon for us and that doesn't lead to a well balanced attack at all.
Jeremy Gibbs Paradox
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Paradox »

Kentb426 wrote:Yeah, those questions were way too loaded with math and science. I usually do much better on the social studies and lit. but there wasn't as much yesterday and that cost us. Also, we suffered because I was the only one scoring in the afternoon for us and that doesn't lead to a well balanced attack at all.
I normally refrain from this board but since Mr. Mueller hasn't stuck his unwanted nose in for once I'll bite the bullet and shoot. The question sets on this (God I really hate calling it this) tournament are locked at a certain distribution. There should not have been any more or less in a certain topic than any districts/state tourney since MSHSAA set these guidelines (and MSHSAA stays jaw-droppingly static). If there was a change that doesn't conform to the rules, the coaches need to do something in their annual meeting. And if it's the same question company as the debacle in 2003, they need to stop extending the contract to those people, because those questions were unprofessionally written to the highest degree.

As for the earlier post that these reflect upsets, sorry Charlie, that dog doesn't hunt. I'm guessing this doesn't refer to TJ Ind. or Richland, since they've been winning since I was in hs. I'm also guessing this doesn't refer to Liberty since again, they're always a strong program who can compete w/ teams nationally. Westminster Christian though? That's no upset. I've seen these guys get better every year when they come to WUHSAC. They're very solid, and I'm happy to hear we get Thampy next year. I'm going to assume David is a mature, responsible person and did not say that with the intention of detracting from Westminster's accomplishment as they have clearly worked hard. I've been around this thing a long time, and the only real upset I ever know of was the time a team with a losing record in prelims won 4A. The wonders of single elim...

Sean Phillips
Formerly of WUSTL, Now of SLU Law, also Formerly of Boonville High School, class of 2000
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

What happened in 2003?
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
Jeremy Gibbs Paradox
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Paradox »

StPickrell wrote:What happened in 2003?
There were numerous typos, incorrect answers, multiple possible correct answers but only one correct one given etc. Basically, the set had to be thoroughly vetted by the td and then the staff before read and sometimes had to be reedited on the fly. While some of these things can be understandable, when a professional company enters into a contract to provide q's and then turns out a product of a quality that is inferior to what could be produced by college freshmen w/ no particular abilities, it engenders accusations of incompetence.

Sean
genius00345
Lulu

Re: 2005 MSHSAA State Tournament

Post by genius00345 »

DavidH wrote: District 4 at Boonville HS
Osage 305, South Callaway 75

Anyway, I'm really just posting this for the hell of it as I doubt any of you give a rip about MO quiz bowl but hey whatever.
lol...I care, because I play it! I'm in Class 3, District 4 -- South Callaway High School. We almost made it to state this year, but Osage really blasted us out of the water at district finals. I made All-District team, though, so the day didn't end in a total disappointment.

I went to watch the state tournament (I'm only 25 miles away from Columbia), and I watched Osage vs. Ava in Round 2, and New Bloomfield vs. Barstow in Round 3 (New Bloomfield's in my county). It was fun to see the layout of the state tournament, and I hope to eventually go there someday as a competitor.

Alex

edit::::Sean, you were in my district, then, I assume, since you're from Boonville? Cool.